PDA

View Full Version : 2001 M3 shifting problem in gears 1&2

Stephen03
07-19-2005, 04:04 PM
I have a 2001 M3 and when i shift in first and second gear and in reverse, or when i push the clutch down in these gears, i hear a rattling noise. its almost as if something is loose. i was told by a BMW dealership that it is the air mass flywheels and that all M3s and 3-series are made with these parts and have the potential to make these noises in these gears. Has anyone heard of this? Or have the same problem? Or even have some type of solution?

dawgbone
07-20-2005, 07:39 AM
My car makes all kinds of ruckus...Has it always done this?

Dual mass???

Pinecone
07-20-2005, 08:56 AM
The dual mass flywheel is supposed to cure such noises, not make them.

Does the noise only happen with clutch pedal in or out, or all the time in those gears?

Stephen03
07-22-2005, 09:46 PM
The noise happens when the clutch is in...not when it is out. Its funny cuz it doesnt happen ALL of the time...but a good 75% of the time. It is driving me crazy because the car is amazing except this. Ive heard problems like this for mustangs or camaros but for a luxury/sports car like a BMW? I wouldnt think that it should be making this noise. The dealership told me that even if replaced the dual mass flywheels that the noise would be gone for about 10k-20k miles, depending on how i drive the car. They also said there is no point to replace them because this rattling noise does not effect the performance of the car in any way. So basically, just to re iterate, the rattling noise happens when I am in first, second or reverse and when i pump the clutch or push it down.

bren
07-23-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't know how a problem with the clutch would be gear dependent. :dunno: