PDA

View Full Version : m3 suspension suggestions ride quality

dsher
07-20-2005, 08:37 AM
I will be taking delivery of a 05 m3 convertable and would appreciate suggestions of suspension mods. While most people frequently want tighter track like mods ,I am interested in changes which talk out some of harsh ride quality while keeping good attributes of m3. would you suggest a coil over or a suspension like Dinan advertises. If you have experience or have made similar changed would like to here thanks for your advice

Pinecone
07-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Well, unfortunately a bit of harshness is the price you pay for the handling. You can make the car softer, but at the expense of outright handling.

But since you bought a Cabriolet, you can't be looking for outright handling anyway, so do what you need to do. Coil overs do allow you a very wide range of springs rates and free lengths to get a nice cushy ride.

jeffreys48
07-26-2005, 09:55 AM
I will be taking delivery of a 05 m3 convertable and would appreciate suggestions of suspension mods. While most people frequently want tighter track like mods ,I am interested in changes which talk out some of harsh ride quality while keeping good attributes of m3. would you suggest a coil over or a suspension like Dinan advertises. If you have experience or have made similar changed would like to here thanks for your advice

I have my 05 m3 vert for one week and I have to tell you, the ride is very nice. Not harsh at all. I was afraid it would be harsh.

By way of comparison, I also have a Volvo V70R (great 300hp wagon) that has an active suspension. It has 3 modes: comfort, sport and advanced. In advanced, it so tight you feel everything. My wife will not ride that way with me in the car and we keep it on sport.

The M3 is similar to the sport mode. Not tight, and not comfort (think marshmellow soft).

My suggestion: try the car for a few weeks before thinking of any suspension mods. Right now, I can't think of what I would mod on that car other than putting in the Alpine iPod interface that works with the NAV screen.

--jeffrey

Nick325xiT 5spd
07-26-2005, 10:22 AM
The E46 M3 is marshmallow soft stock. If you can't take THAT, sell it and buy a Benz.

Riuster
08-09-2005, 11:11 AM

the only thing to do is to replace the shocks, I replaced mine with KONI adjustables, and if you put it on all the way soft and good tires, the ride is very comfortable, but too comfortable for me, so I have it near stiff with stock springs...the ride is more firm, I like the rigid stability, here is my rec.

1. Keep stock springs, its the softest springs around
2. Buy Koni Shocks, and keep them soft, (cost to replace this is the same as replacing the entire spring set as well...think about it, Eibach springs)
3. Keep 18 inch wheels with reasonable air pressure or 19s with 38lbs around.

thats it.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-09-2005, 11:13 AM
the only thing to do is to replace the shocks, I replaced mine with KONI adjustables, and if you put it on all the way soft and good tires, the ride is very comfortable, but too comfortable for me, so I have it near stiff with stock springs...the ride is more firm, I like the rigid stability, here is my rec.

1. Keep stock springs, its the softest springs around
2. Buy Koni Shocks, and keep them soft, (cost to replace this is the same as replacing the entire spring set as well...think about it, Eibach springs)
3. Keep 18 inch wheels with reasonable air pressure or 19s with 38lbs around.

thats it.
You forgot the 17s with Pep Boys tires option.

Riuster
08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
You forgot the 17s with Pep Boys tires option.

I couldnt say that...I might have continued on with other options such as PIN STRIPES and "FEAR" stickers :rofl: