PDA

View Full Version : Warranty On E36m3

ncthegreat000
07-20-2005, 10:21 PM
I recently bought a 1999 m3 convertible.It has 65k miles and is in perfect condition.The dealer is asking me about $3k for 3yr/36,000 miles warranty.Is it advisale to go for it, is there any other good warranty plans.I called up BMW,Credit Unions but none are ready to provide a warranty.BTW I am in San Diego,CA.

Any advice will be great help.

SoloII///M
07-21-2005, 05:40 AM
The questions you should ask are can you burn up $3,000 in three years and 36,000 miles and how hard is it to get them to perform work under warranty?

I would probably skip it, but then I do all my own repairs. Typical E36 stuff the car probably needs (if it hasn't gotten it already): Power steering hoses (cheap), radiator (fairly cheap), shocks, rear trailing arm bushings, rear shock mounts, water pump / thermostat... all of that stuff together may add up to $1000, but certainly not $3000.

JV

LmtdSlip
07-21-2005, 08:00 AM
The questions you should ask are can you burn up $3,000 in three years and 36,000 miles and how hard is it to get them to perform work under warranty?

I would probably skip it, but then I do all my own repairs. Typical E36 stuff the car probably needs (if it hasn't gotten it already): Power steering hoses (cheap), radiator (fairly cheap), shocks, rear trailing arm bushings, rear shock mounts, water pump / thermostat... all of that stuff together may add up to $1000, but certainly not $3000.

JV

That stuff could end up at or near $3K if it was performed by the dealer. So if he isnt handy with tools or dosent have the time, space or tools to do his own repairs...the warranty could pay off for him.

SoloII///M
07-21-2005, 11:18 AM
That stuff could end up at or near $3K if it was performed by the dealer. So if he isnt handy with tools or dosent have the time, space or tools to do his own repairs...the warranty could pay off for him.

True. But who knows if it's even stuff that is covered under the warranty. I suggest checking the warranty wording very closely.

And .. as always .. if you take your car to the dealer for service, buyer beware. You never know what else they will break en route to fixing what it's actually in there for. :(

ncthegreat000
07-21-2005, 11:57 PM
I went for the warranty, it covers everything bumper to bumper and since I dont fix my car ..thought this was the best way...BTW I see a lot of E46 for sale....thanks for al those who replied to my mail...

:)