PDA

View Full Version : Ice>Link Center Armrest Compartment Install?

chebert
07-23-2005, 11:22 AM
I just got the ice>link w/the docking cable connector for my 2000 328i . My intent is to 'hide' the ipod in the small clamshell type center armrest compartment. I've searched but have not seen any references to this type of install arrangement. Has anyone out there tried this? :dunno: If so, can you share some advice or pictures? I'm curious about the best way to run the cable into the compartment.
Thanks!

Technic
07-23-2005, 02:33 PM
I just got the ice>link w/the docking cable connector for my 2000 328i . My intent is to 'hide' the ipod in the small clamshell type center armrest compartment. I've searched but have not seen any references to this type of install arrangement. Has anyone out there tried this? :dunno: If so, can you share some advice or pictures? I'm curious about the best way to run the cable into the compartment.
Thanks!

Something like this?

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/4752DSCF0013-med.JPG

If you have the trunk mount, the docking cable could go from the armrest/remove only the rear ashtray assembly to facilitate the concealment of the docking cable/pass the cable under the center transmission shaft hump carpet/towards the rear seat bottom and then meet the ice>link circuit there under the seat.

If you are using the radio mount then you will need to remove the whole center console to conceal the docking cable from the armrest.

You do not have to remove the armrest in either of the two cases unless you want to do some fancy installation to hide the cable furthermore... :thumbup:

chebert
07-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Technic - thanks for the pic and the idea - I really appreciate the feedback. Your install is sweet :thumbup: and is exactly what I am looking to do. I purchased the trunk connector so I was planning on passing the cable under the carpet along the center transmission shaft hump. I have the tan leather interior w/tan armrest, so I was hoping to somehow be able to pass the wire into the armrest without exposing any of the black wire against the tan leather, but alas that may be beyond my capabilities. The way you have the wire routed doesn't seem to expose much at all though. I'll have to give it a shot myself - this will be my first attempt at something like this. Here's hoping it goes well! Thanks again for the info.
Cheers

chebert
07-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Just finished the install. I have zero prior experience doing anything like this and it was a piece of cake. I finished in about an hour and a half. Plugged in the pod and everything is working. And with the armrest closed, you can't see a trace of wire. Very nice and clean. :thumbup:

Only 2 probs to speak of:
1. my ipod doesn't shutdown when I turn off the ignition.
2. I'm not getting text display on my head unit.

I'll have to do some research and make sure firmware is up to date, etc.

Technic
07-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Just finished the install. I have zero prior experience doing anything like this and it was a piece of cake. I finished in about an hour and a half. Plugged in the pod and everything is working. And with the armrest closed, you can't see a trace of wire. Very nice and clean. :thumbup:

Only 2 probs to speak of:
1. my ipod doesn't shutdown when I turn off the ignition.
2. I'm not getting text display on my head unit.

I'll have to do some research and make sure firmware is up to date, etc.

Both issues are selectable in the Setup menu... good job! :thumbup:

gordo325xiwagon
08-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Both issues are selectable in the Setup menu... good job! :thumbup:

I cant get the ipod to register in this mode. There is no way to open the Icelink menu on the ipod screen. any suggestions? gordo

sna77
08-09-2005, 07:31 PM
So I put mine here:

Technic
08-10-2005, 09:59 AM
I cant get the ipod to register in this mode. There is no way to open the Icelink menu on the ipod screen. any suggestions? gordo

Did you have the latest ice>Link firmware update?

gordo325xiwagon
08-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Did you have the latest ice>Link firmware update?
I just bought the Ice Link about two months ago...I would assume it is current. What is the current firmware?

Also the Ipod does NOT go to sleep, or turn off, when the ignition is shut off. It continues to play, cycling through the playlists. g.

Technic
08-10-2005, 11:47 AM
I just bought the Ice Link about two months ago...I would assume it is current. What is the current firmware?

Also the Ipod does NOT go to sleep, or turn off, when the ignition is shut off. It continues to play, cycling through the playlists. g.

Check this: http://www.densionusa.com/text_display_support.htm

gordo325xiwagon
08-10-2005, 01:06 PM

When I first installed the IceLink plus, I just installed the IceLink cable and connected the Ipod. It started right up. Was I suppose to load a Ice link program or download anything from online or a program disc?

The text display now reads: "2-1 or 5-12" Meaning the second playlist, first song, etc. Are we supposed to have text, like the name of a song?

gordo

Technic
08-10-2005, 04:32 PM

When I first installed the IceLink plus, I just installed the IceLink cable and connected the Ipod. It started right up. Was I suppose to load a Ice link program or download anything from online or a program disc?

The text display now reads: "2-1 or 5-12" Meaning the second playlist, first song, etc. Are we supposed to have text, like the name of a song?

gordo

gordo... your ice>Link came with the correct firmware, the link that I included above is for firmware updates. I would try again to access the ice>Link menu by pressing preset #6 and see if you can change the settings that bothers you before trying a firmare update, though.

To check you current firmware version: when you select your iPod to play (CD Changer in your radio) look at the iPod screen at the upper right side -when the "Warning" advisory is shown- for the version number of your current firmware. Go back to that link above and compare it with the one there. If you have Version 2.07 or less then you can follow the instructions in that link to install that update.

This update will include the capability for text to be shown in your radio screen (name of song and artist). If you have more questions or the dificulties continues no matter what you do you should contact Densionusa.com. :thumbup:

tom @ eas
08-10-2005, 04:38 PM

This is a known issue on Blaupunkt units (which you more than likely have on an 01 model). Hopefully, Dension will come out with firmware to rectify this.

tom @ eas
08-10-2005, 04:40 PM
gordo... your ice>Link came with the correct firmware, the link that I included above is for firmware updates. I would try again to access the ice>Link menu by pressing preset #6 and see if you can change the settings that bothers you before trying a firmare update, though.

To check you current firmware version: when you select your iPod to play (CD Changer in your radio) look at the iPod screen at the upper right side -when the "Warning" advisory is shown- for the version number of your current firmware. Go back to that link above and compare it with the one there. If you have Version 2.07 or less then you can follow the instructions in that link to install that update.

This update will include the capability for text to be shown in your radio screen (name of song and artist). If you have more questions or the dificulties continues no matter what you do you should contact Densionusa.com. :thumbup:

Correct, you should be at version 2B1 for Busines CD units. Some Best Buy kits still have v2.05 firmware on the modules - there's no telling how long they have been on the shelf.

Update the firmware and all should be well.

gordo325xiwagon
08-10-2005, 04:54 PM
I will check this out. PS I bought direct from Dension USA, not retail. g.