PDA

View Full Version : Sedan vs Coupe Pros and Cons

John blaze
07-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I am very close to purchasing a 95 - 99 M3. I need to get an automatic as I already have a manual car. (1986 porsche 944) I really like the agressive look of the coupe but that limits me to 95 m3s only. I want a silver car but I don't even think they made a silver m3 in 95. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any. So the question I present to you is what are the pros and cons of a coupe versus a sedan? handling characteristics? weight difference? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated as the $15k I have to buy my car is burning a hole in my pocket. thanks :eeps:

jrp
07-26-2005, 10:06 PM
They did have silver in 95, albeit a slightly different shade (it was called Arctic as opposed to Titanium)...

General consensus (re-inforced by some limited seat time in a sedan) is that performance is virtually identical between the coupe and sedan...but you do give up the uber cool Vader seats if you get a sedan.

Finally, do you really want an automatic? They're slugs compared to a manual...:)

John blaze
07-27-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't want two manual cars, I kinda have a bum knee :mad: and I want at least one auto car. I understand that I can get a chip for the autos that make them shift smoother at higher speeds. anyone know what colors the 95 m3 came in? I'm looking for either silver or Avus Blue. thanks

stvcrystal
07-31-2005, 06:16 PM
I have a '97 M3 Sedan Automatic. Feel free to send me questions.

One of the biggest differences I see is the front windshield is at a sharper angle in the Sedan (i.e., more toward a 90 degree point than the coupe). So if you are concerned about headroom and visibility that may make a difference. The four door is really nice when you have people or things in the backseat. I also think its a little lower profile from the police so you don't get as much attention. Of course, the same can be true of flashiness. Its not as flashy I would think. That's why I like it.

Other than that, my understanding is the auto did a little better on acceleration due to the auto tranny but essentially they are the same car.

I do think the looks of the four door will be more timeless than the coupe. When I see those coupes, they look good but the older ones are showing it while the four door seems more classy to me.

Take care.
Steve

LMC
07-31-2005, 10:20 PM
At introduction in 1994, the '95 M3 was only available in six colors (black, white, red,
Avus blue, Daytona violet & Cosmos black metallic) but Green and Arctic Silver were added later in the model year.

You probably know the sedan didn't come until MY1997. Since the coupe dropped the auto option after '95, your best bet to find an automatic is a sedan.