PDA

View Full Version : E46 M3 Group M Intake install and Dyno results!

redline wins
07-28-2005, 06:17 PM
We installed a Group M Intake and performed before and after dyno runs for a customer.

We have heard different accounts from different tuners with this intake. Most tuners I have talked too said that with this intake installed shows little or no gains, some even said that they LOST power!

Taking a look at the design of the intake I was thinking that maybe we would have the same results on my dyno. The filter shape seemed wrong, you still needed to re-use the factory mesh guard which is restrictive and the lower intake is way to small compared to the factory air box.

The test day was really hot with ambient temps nearing the 110 degree mark (sunny and hot Arizona). The base run showed 255.4 hp and 212.5 ft-lbs to the wheels which is right where it needs to be for a completely stock E46 M3 calculating in the 30% drivline loss. After the install we saw 264.7 hp and 221.2 ft-lbs gain at the wheels. This equates to a gain of 12.9 hp and 11.3 ft-lbs at the crank.

I guess with us the Group M Intake DOES make power...even with hot temps we where testing in. I think by increasing the the size of the lower intake opening and removing the mesh we should see larger gains but the owner did not want us the rip open is new very expensive intake.

Robert
Redline Motorsports

Next week we are installing a underdrive pulley and performing a DME flash...we will keep you guys posted.

redline wins
07-28-2005, 06:25 PM
I have videos of the dyno run but need someone to host them for me.

Thanks,
Robert
Redline Motorsports

bren
07-28-2005, 06:56 PM
You guys did drive around for a few days and let the computer acclimate to the new intake before retesting...right?

redline wins
07-28-2005, 07:11 PM
We had the customer drive the car for about 2 plus hours in which he performed two complete drive cycles.

Robert
Redline Motorsports

Nick325xiT 5spd
07-28-2005, 07:25 PM
So did Gruppe M figure out all the engine failure problems that they caused?

redline wins
07-28-2005, 08:51 PM
What types of problems?

Robert