PDA

View Full Version : 2001 M3 - modifying/upgrading Nav/stereo question

Phoenix
08-01-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm buying a used 2001 M3 vert w/ navigation, cassette player, but no CD player. I think this is a great opportunity to "modify" the system to include MP3, satellite radio, CD and even a DVD/TV player. Anybody here done something similar or recommend what might be possible? I'm being influenced by the shows like Whips on Speed channel.

Stephen03
08-02-2005, 08:04 AM
I have a 2001 M3 as well but mine has a 6cd changer in the trunk along with a cassette player, no nav system. I am going to put in a 7" in dash dvd/cd/mp3 player that is also satellite radio ready. I did my research and in my oppinion the best system to go with is an alpine. My installer is not going to cut any wires so once I am ready to uninstall the system, he can reconnect all the wires and the stock stereo will work just as it did. I will lose the cd changer and the controls for my stereo on the steering wheel. The whole installation of a dvd system in this car is very common and if you get it done the right way, its completely irreversable. goodluck

dawgbone
08-03-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm buying a used 2001 M3 vert w/ navigation, cassette player, but no CD player. I think this is a great opportunity to "modify" the system to include MP3, satellite radio, CD and even a DVD/TV player. Anybody here done something similar or recommend what might be possible? I'm being influenced by the shows like Whips on Speed channel.

To make it nice/right, I would swap the cassette/nav unit for a cd/nav head unit(OEM)..install an Alpine cd changer(silver one) in which you might have to use a Blitzsafe, but you would keep steering wheel controls...check out tvonnav.com...and look into an icelink for MP3...in which the Alpine cd changer could take the place of an IPOD...6Disc...300ish MP3's per disc...I'd say screw the IPOD...plus I heard something about the batteries in an IPOD are not replacable...but that's just word of mouth....

Phoenix
08-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Would you guys consider the new Eclipse line from Fujitsu? I didn't consider getting the OEM set. Need to research that. Thanks for info!