PDA

View Full Version : Chaotic volume control

cdjdo
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I just bought a '98 323cic and the only problem is that the radio volume is often uncontrolable - and the more you try to change it (turning knob left or right), the volume just increases. The only thing that seems to help (or reset it) is turning the ignition off. Sometimes the radio works but I never know when it is going to 'decide' that it only wants the volume to increase.

Any help out there on the Bimmerfest forum?

el_duderino
08-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Any chance the steering wheel button is stuck? (Does your HAVE a steering wheel control?)

dkl
08-04-2005, 01:52 AM
I just bought a '98 323cic and the only problem is that the radio volume is often uncontrolable - and the more you try to change it (turning knob left or right), the volume just increases. The only thing that seems to help (or reset it) is turning the ignition off. Sometimes the radio works but I never know when it is going to 'decide' that it only wants the volume to increase.

Any help out there on the Bimmerfest forum?

That is probably one of the stupid feature that's on all BMW head unit to basically trying to compensate for road/wind noise instead of actually investing in sound deadening materials. The volume basically increases as your driving speed increases. You can change the sensitivity of it by pressing and holding onto the "TONE" button (or in some head unit, it's the button with the musical note on it) and adjust it to your liking...the higher the number, the louder you radio gets with increasing speed. Setting it to "1" minimize the effect, which is what I did with mine. It stupid not to have a "0" to disable this stupid feature!