PDA

View Full Version : After-market CD players

bimmere46
08-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Ok...this is probably a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find a thread pertaining to this subject. My car came w/ the H/K package, but also w/ a lame-a$$ tape deck. I don't think i've owned a tape since maybe 1992, but apparently manufactures think people like them, because they continue to install cassette decks. Anyway, my question is whether or not my steering wheel controls will continue to work if I install an after-market CD player. I've seen that crutchfield offers harnesses that simplify installation considerably, but there was no metion of wheel controls. I realize installing a factory cd player would be the simplest solution. Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.

JSpira
08-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Ok...this is probably a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find a thread pertaining to this subject. My car came w/ the H/K package, but also w/ a lame-a$$ tape deck. I don't think i've owned a tape since maybe 1992, but apparently manufactures think people like them, because they continue to install cassette decks. Anyway, my question is whether or not my steering wheel controls will continue to work if I install an after-market CD player. I've seen that crutchfield offers harnesses that simplify installation considerably, but there was no metion of wheel controls. I realize installing a factory cd player would be the simplest solution. Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.

Could I recommend skipping the CD player and going for an MP3-based solution, possibly and iPod and the Dension Ice>link or a Phatnoise Phatbox? It seems silly nowadays to spend money on something that just plays CDs, and limits you to 6 CDs when you could have 20G or more in the trunk.

LDV330i
08-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Ok...this is probably a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find a thread pertaining to this subject. My car came w/ the H/K package, but also w/ a lame-a$$ tape deck. I don't think i've owned a tape since maybe 1992, but apparently manufactures think people like them, because they continue to install cassette decks. Anyway, my question is whether or not my steering wheel controls will continue to work if I install an after-market CD player. I've seen that crutchfield offers harnesses that simplify installation considerably, but there was no metion of wheel controls. I realize installing a factory cd player would be the simplest solution. Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.Any Alpine CD or MP3 changer connected through a Blitzsafe or Soundgate adapter will give the same functionality as an OEM changer through the HU or the steering wheel. BTW the OEM changer is made by Alpine but uses the proprietary I-Bus communications protocol.

el_duderino
08-03-2005, 10:21 PM
As someone who sells car audio gear, I would suggest getting either the OEM changer, the Alpine changer with the Soundgate adapter, or going MP3 with an Icelink.

The only CD player you can get that doesn't look like total ass in a BMW is the Nakamichi - either the CD400 or the MB-VI 6-disc in-dash changer. But I wouldn't think that the cost of the CD AND the cost of aa good integration with the OEM amplifier setup is even close to worth it (and your steering wheel controls probably stop working).

Get the CD changer.

bimmere46
08-04-2005, 03:49 AM
I don't want a changer, but I do like the MP3 option though and have actually given this some consideration already. Thanks for the help!

JSpira
08-04-2005, 09:27 PM
I don't want a changer, but I do like the MP3 option though and have actually given this some consideration already. Thanks for the help!

Can't go wrong with MP3. My extra Phatbox is for sale if that helps (half price from new) in case that's helpful.