PDA

View Full Version : Integrated cellular antenna present?

RickR
08-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know if a 2005 M3 convertible has a prewired cellular antenna? The vehicle has BMW assist, so I assume that it uses a cellular antenna to establish connection. If there is an external antenna I would like to plug my cell phone into it to improve reception. If it does, where is the antenna connection located? Is there a cable for it in the center console, or in the trunk?

Technic
08-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Does anyone know if a 2005 M3 convertible has a prewired cellular antenna? The vehicle has BMW assist, so I assume that it uses a cellular antenna to establish connection. If there is an external antenna I would like to plug my cell phone into it to improve reception. If it does, where is the antenna connection located? Is there a cable for it in the center console, or in the trunk?

In the old, no Bluetooth Assist TCU, there was an antenna cable with a connector under the cupholders... that's going nowhere. At that cable end there is another connector hanging in the left side of the trunk, waiting to be plugged into an accessory OEM rear bumper cellular antenna that you can buy and install separately. An OEM cradle was required to use this antenna with the OEM phone.

The Assist cellular antenna connector is the black plug in the TCU (first connection from left to right in the silver box, located to the left of the HK subwoofer in the trunk behind the liner). The best part of this connector is that it matches the phone connector coming from the center console, so you can unplug the Assist cellular antenna and plug it to the cell cable plug in the trunk as your cell phone antenna. However, you will lose the capability to transmit the Assist calls.

You can check if in your convertible TCU, which is the Assist with Bluetooth, you have the same configuration of cell antenna connections in the center console and in the left side of the trunk. I guess that this configuration has not changed for the new TCUs, but I'm not sure. If so equipped, you still will be required to buy the OEM cradle for your phone -if available- to use this antenna connection. :thumbup:

RickR
08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the info.... I will take a look this weekend and see what the car is fitted with. At least I now know where to look.