PDA

View Full Version : New (old) guy on the block - '02 Coupe SMG

scottn2retro
08-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi All -

Well, I'm a new member of the club after winning the bidding for this car on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4563936148&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT

Plans are to turn it into a BMW Club Racer in H-Stock. We hope we can make it the fastest stock class racer in BMW Club Racing.

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i4/04/a/04/59/d9/f7_4.JPG

SONET
08-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Good luck, Scott! :thumbup:

--SONET

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-07-2005, 05:03 PM
I dunno, Scott. I don't think it'll work unless you run 20s.

Jon Shafer
08-07-2005, 05:12 PM
I am so pleased for you Scotty!

You are going to kick some a$$!!!

:thumbup:

Woody
08-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Nice car Scott!!

SteveT
08-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Congratulations Scott! It'll be fun to watch your progress with it.

Steve

dawgbone
08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Congratulations Scott! It'll be fun to watch your progress with it.

Steve

Aggreed...It would be awesome to see a project like that come along on this board :thumbup: I'm jealous..

Car looks clean...I'm guessing the car had to be a theft recovery..Hard to imagine that theives would have the gawl to steal an e46...I think if I owned an SMG, I'd pop the hood every time I got out of the car, so that maybe they wouldn't figure out why the car wouldn't get in gear..

scottn2retro
08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Aggreed...It would be awesome to see a project like that come along on this board :thumbup: I'm jealous..

Car looks clean...I'm guessing the car had to be a theft recovery..Hard to imagine that theives would have the gawl to steal an e46...I think if I owned an SMG, I'd pop the hood every time I got out of the car, so that maybe they wouldn't figure out why the car wouldn't get in gear..

Thanks everybody - it will be interesting as we'll kind of be breaking new ground. It doesn't look like there is anybody in BMW Club Racing regularly running an e46 M3 in Stock class (although TMS is running one in SCCA T2) and certainly nobody we know of is running an SMG in racing. Some pro teams have tried it and went away from it (but those were GAC/Rolex endurance teams and really anything on the car can break in 24 hours). For half hour to 50 minute sprint races, we hope we'll be okay.

Car was wrecked on the right front, but I had the car checked by a shop we know and trust before bidding on it and the car looks to have been repaired well. It looks like the previous owner never tracked the car, just tooled around town for 38K miles.

One of the interesting things we'll do is swap out the center roof section for a hard top. :eek:

Hey SONET, if you have a free evening, could use your help with getting to know about the car.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks everybody - it will be interesting as we'll kind of be breaking new ground. It doesn't look like there is anybody in BMW Club Racing regularly running an e46 M3 in Stock class (although TMS is running one in SCCA T2) and certainly nobody we know of is running an SMG in racing. Some pro teams have tried it and went away from it (but those were GAC/Rolex endurance teams and really anything on the car can break in 24 hours). For half hour to 50 minute sprint races, we hope we'll be okay.

Car was wrecked on the right front, but I had the car checked by a shop we know and trust before bidding on it and the car looks to have been repaired well. It looks like the previous owner never tracked the car, just tooled around town for 38K miles.

One of the interesting things we'll do is swap out the center roof section for a hard top. :eek:

Hey SONET, if you have a free evening, could use your help with getting to know about the car.
FWIW, SMG is MUCH harder on the synchros than a manual. And it is not entirely consistentwhile on track.

scottn2retro
08-09-2005, 03:53 PM
FWIW, SMG is MUCH harder on the synchros than a manual. And it is not entirely consistentwhile on track.

You haven't seen me work a manual :eek: :D

I asked a couple of people about reliability and while the answers I got were not negative, there aren't a whole lot of data points out there. I figured we'll always have going to a manual as plan B.

MG67
08-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Good deal Scott, that will give me some incentive to come out and watch some races...:thumbup:
I hope to run one of those M3's on the street in a couple of months... not sure about the Imola Red...

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-10-2005, 07:18 AM
You haven't seen me work a manual :eek: :D

I asked a couple of people about reliability and while the answers I got were not negative, there aren't a whole lot of data points out there. I figured we'll always have going to a manual as plan B.
You must've been granny shiftin' instead of double clutchin' like you should've. :angel:

dawgbone
08-10-2005, 08:46 AM

are you talking about an actual road course?? or parking lot
Has anyone tried to customize the SMG software..or maybe it's the physical limitation of SMG..

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-10-2005, 08:54 AM
are you talking about an actual road course?? or parking lot
Has anyone tried to customize the SMG software..or maybe it's the physical limitation of SMG..
You have a manual right? It's not a limitation of SMG, so much as it is a consequence of the shifting speed. In S6, the car basically powershifts, which puts all the stress on the synchros. Parking lot is less stress because there's the pathetic SMG launch (easier on the car than a manual), and then one shift. On a road course it's power shift after power shift after powershift.

BMW actually admitted this was an issue with the E60 M5 -- they had to slow the shifts down a bit to reduce synchro wear.

scottn2retro
08-10-2005, 04:34 PM
You have a manual right? It's not a limitation of SMG, so much as it is a consequence of the shifting speed. In S6, the car basically powershifts, which puts all the stress on the synchros. Parking lot is less stress because there's the pathetic SMG launch (easier on the car than a manual), and then one shift. On a road course it's power shift after power shift after powershift.

BMW actually admitted this was an issue with the E60 M5 -- they had to slow the shifts down a bit to reduce synchro wear.

Would it help to not be in the most aggressive setting - maybe in the 4th instead of 5th setting?

Pinecone
08-10-2005, 05:04 PM
It doesn't actualy power shift, it does lift, but JUST enough to not hit the rev limter.

But onteh other hand, with heavy braking, it does much more consistant downshifts than a person can time after time.

And I find on the race track under very heavy braking (race car, not street car) that I don't double clutch, I do rev match, but just for the clutch engagement. And this is hard on synchros.

Also for racing, many classes have penalties (weight) for sequential gearboxes, even if they aren't really sequential.

Lower settings do slow down the shift speed. Or you can slow it a lot by a slight lift as you upshift. Most people, with practice, can drive the car in S5 as smoothly as anybody can drive a manual.

At track events, a lot of time I use a slight lift since it is not racing. In racing, go for it. At least the basic gearbox is the same as several other cars.

BTW Nick thinks DEs are like racing. :)

scottn2retro
08-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Also for racing, many classes have penalties (weight) for sequential gearboxes, even if they aren't really sequential.

BTW Nick thinks DEs are like racing. :)

Isn't having SMG it's own weight penalty? :D

I'll have to check the BMW CR rules, but I don't think they differentiate (yet) between manuals and SMG cars. It's all based on weight/hp ratios and I don't know if it's enough of a performance advantage (some would say it's actually even a disadvantage) for BMW CR to add any weight for SMG.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Would it help to not be in the most aggressive setting - maybe in the 4th instead of 5th setting?
A lot of people use S5 instead of S6. It's not really known whether or not that actually helps.

philippek
08-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Congrats Scott, looks like a great car!

Pinecone
08-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Only something like 18 pounds. :)

I can't really tell any difference between S5 and S6. S4 to S5, yes. But hte big thing is the slight lift at the right time, it REALLY smooths out the shift.

And anyway, synchros don't really enter into upshifts.

Kurt Martin
08-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Scott, that is so cool :thumbup:

I'm waiting for a new M3 myself. It's also going to have SMG. Don't worry, I'm still keeping the M coupe! Now the only problem will be deciding which one to drive to Bimmerfest. Maybe I'll have to alternate, each year :bigpimp:

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Only something like 18 pounds. :)

I can't really tell any difference between S5 and S6. S4 to S5, yes. But hte big thing is the slight lift at the right time, it REALLY smooths out the shift.

And anyway, synchros don't really enter into upshifts.
Then why does SMG tend to blow them?

SteveT
08-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Then why does SMG tend to blow them?

The operator would play a role also.

Pinecone
08-16-2005, 04:56 AM

And that describes Nick. :)

scottn2retro
08-16-2005, 06:59 AM
I didn't get any kind of owner's manual or anything with the car, but I have access now to an SMG users guide. I'll print that out and give it a good read. (and make it mandatory reading for any race driver :D )

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-16-2005, 07:07 AM
I didn't get any kind of owner's manual or anything with the car, but I have access now to an SMG users guide. I'll print that out and give it a good read. (and make it mandatory reading for any race driver :D )
Good idea. You would be amazed how much trouble people have had.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Sure. I'll readily admit that most people who seem to have tranny problems are tracking their cars. It may also be that a number of defective trannies have left the factory. After all, my first managed only a few track days before failing. The one I've currently got has survived thousands of miles of WOT, redlined S6 shifting.

Pinecone
08-16-2005, 04:07 PM
And mine has several days of tracking, without problems.

I figure your first one was just infant mortality.

ClubSpec330i
08-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Scott,

congratulation on the car. I was going to bid for the same car but backed out because I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. Anyhow, let me know when you are hitting the track with the car, I would love to come along. If you need a pitcrew, let me know.

scottn2retro
08-19-2005, 06:31 AM
Scott,

congratulation on the car. I was going to bid for the same car but backed out because I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. Anyhow, let me know when you are hitting the track with the car, I would love to come along. If you need a pitcrew, let me know.

My wife isn't sure either what I've gotten myself into, but that hasn't changed for a long time now :D

Definitely - could always use the help.

scottn2retro
08-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Hi All -

Starting to get some stuff going. So far the vendors that have said they'll work with us are: BBS, Pagid, B&M and Eibach. Some more should be coming soon.

Did a quick hand sketch of an idea for the livery. HACK doesn't car for it and is proposing alternatives. Apologize to the person I borrowed the pic from.

Will be working with Modern Image up the road from me in Huntington Beach, and we'll be using a neat printable, stretchable vinyl to do the black portions. Why just print solid black? - so HACK will be designing patterns with embedded images in the black - should be really cool. And we'll probably do the yellow headlight covers.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56307