PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Reprogram The Odometer?

imnprsd
08-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Parts of my instrument cluster display burned out so I picked up a new instrument cluster off Ebay. However, when I plugged it in my odometer is now reading 220,000 miles on it. Everything else works perfect, but I don't want to add 60,000 more miles to my vehicle just because I changed out the cluster. Does anyone know how I can re-program the odometer or order a cheap part and then reprogram my display?

obmd1
08-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Parts of my instrument cluster display burned out so I picked up a new instrument cluster off Ebay. However, when I plugged it in my odometer is now reading 220,000 miles on it. Everything else works perfect, but I don't want to add 60,000 more miles to my vehicle just because I changed out the cluster. Does anyone know how I can re-program the odometer or order a cheap part and then reprogram my display?
tricky question. I think there are laws against this kind of thing.

shortbus
08-10-2005, 09:15 AM
on the other hand - if it is done with honest intentions... such as this case. How would he do it?

Desertnate
08-10-2005, 09:18 AM
I always thought the mileage information was stored in two places in the car and the display simply displayed the information from one of those modules. Simply swapping out the display shouldn't case a problem because it is simply an interface.

shortbus
08-10-2005, 09:20 AM
I don't know I never tried. But, he did say he plugged it in.

BMW_Brand
08-10-2005, 09:22 AM
I always thought the mileage information was stored in two places in the car and the display simply displayed the information from one of those modules. Simply swapping out the display shouldn't case a problem because it is simply an interface.

Was typing out the same response...

I would assume the cluster only displays information stored in chips located elsewhere in the vehicle.

So it all seems fishy.

You sure it's in miles?

BMW_Brand
08-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Here's some info, check it out => http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/capacitors.htm

ArtemLepilov
08-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Check it out guys - i tihnk that i read in a german manual for an E34 board repair from 1988 somewhere that there is a special plug and it stores all the info in the chip that plugs into it - its some weird three letter name for the plug... So i tihnk what you need to do is swap those plugs and you are all set... ;-)

Let me know how it goes.

-Artem

imnprsd
08-13-2005, 11:40 PM
I found the solution for pre-1996 digital odometers:

There is an ERPOM in the instrument cluster circuit board that stores the Odometer miles. This EPROM can be reprogrammed easily if you have the right tool or find a shop who will do it for you, but most want to charge about $200 for this service. In my case, I disassembled the circuit board from my old instrument cluster (it's the blue portion of the cluster, held on by two plastic 1/4 turn, plastic thumb screws) and swapped it with the new (Ebay-used) cluster. Now my odometer reads it's origional miles. This also confirms that the LCD driver board does not store the odometer information, and that there is no other chip in the DME or in the LKR (as there is in 1996+ models) which control the odometer.

Note: Since my old LCD has some burned-out pixels, I also swapped out the LCD glass by bending the metal tabs on the bessel. From this point, the LCD has a connector on the front (behind the glass) which makes replacing the LCD very easy. This may also a fix for any LCD problems due to pixels which may not be working correctly -- assuming the circuit board LCD drivers (row and column) are working properly.

shortbus
09-10-2005, 10:04 PM
great find and thanks for reporting back!