PDA

View Full Version : Idling Problems

SofaKing
08-10-2005, 10:12 AM
My 2004 M3 when i start it for the first time in the moring the Rpm's rev to 3000 then down to 500 (almost stalling) then back up for 6-7 times. After driving there's no problem. Any ideas? High test gas only... the car was sitting for 5 months.

Pinecone
08-10-2005, 05:07 PM
One, it is a high performance engine, cold. In old days an engine this highly tuned wouldn't come close to idling until it warmed up.

Two, there is a software update that improves cold start behavior.

Three, blame the EPA for cold start emissions testing, which means they try to keep the mixture VERY lean when cold, exactly opposite of what the engine needs.

m3geezer
08-11-2005, 06:59 AM
One, it is a high performance engine, cold. In old days an engine this highly tuned wouldn't come close to idling until it warmed up.

Two, there is a software update that improves cold start behavior.

Three, blame the EPA for cold start emissions testing, which means they try to keep the mixture VERY lean when cold, exactly opposite of what the engine needs.

Software? EPA? What's that? I can't hear ya, Sonny!

Back in the Geezerly Old Days, we had a manual choke to enrich the mixture during warm-up and we could dick with the idle jets on the carburetor as well. :rofl:

Pinecone
08-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Software? EPA? What's that? I can't hear ya, Sonny!

Back in the Geezerly Old Days, we had a manual choke to enrich the mixture during warm-up and we could dick with the idle jets on the carburetor as well. :rofl:

EXACTLY. Or in the case of Weber carbs, they had an enrichemnt valve that worked similar to, but much better than a choke.

SofaKing
08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
i'll try updating my software, i'll reportback when i get my ride back.

bimmerguy
08-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Did you run through the entire tank of old gas yet?
If not, do that then refill with chevron etc.
I like Costco gas for some reason....
Could also be the software....

dawgbone
08-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Mine starts up and runs like absolute sh## it the mornings...like it probably supposed to...and actually, for as strung out as this engine is...I'd say it does it fairly well...Mine, although has come close, has never died after first fire when cranking cold...Think about it...11.5:1 compression and a cold cylinder with cold plugs..kinda like what you would sound like if I threw a 5 gallon bucket of ice'd water on you at 4 A.M to wake you for the day....

I beat mine daily...and the only time that I get this behavior, is if I let it sit for the weekend, and/or take the truck to work for a few days...

The engine racing is perfectly normal...in fact...I think that everything that you are describing is perfectly normal...