PDA

View Full Version : idrive, navi and ipods

Scarlett
08-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Hello,

I am new to the board! I am expecting my 2006 sparkling graphite 325i the first week of September and I am very excited!

I read through tons of posts yesterday and today, but I still have a couple of questions. Any clarification would be very appreciated!

1) Is it true that if you have navi w/ idrive, listening to your iPod is not possible without purchasing the 6-CD changer?
2) What about the feature where you can see the name and artist of a song (is that the radio data system??), does that work with navi/idrive?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

Best,
Scarlett

Wolf359
08-10-2005, 05:05 PM
1) Is it true that if you have navi w/ idrive, listening to your iPod is not possible without purchasing the 6-CD changer?

Depends on what you want... There is an auxiliary audio plug in the armrest, along with a 12-volt outlet, so you could plug your iPod in there and select the Aux audio source to hear it. The only annoying thing is you'd have to find a place for it (The iPod could fit in the armrest but then you would have to open that storage area everytime you would like to change tune on the iPod).

The other way around is to have BlueTooth, then the integration allows you to switch song using the steering wheel buttons, the sound is transferred wireless and your commands to the iPod as well. The only hiccup is BlueTooth is not available as a standalon option, it only comes with BMW Assist (1000$ CDN, about 750 U$ I guess). I do not know if BMW has plans for future upgrades to BlueTooth on its cars, without the BMW Assist, I have no idea what such a retrofit would imply.

2) What about the feature where you can see the name and artist of a song (is that the radio data system??), does that work with navi/idrive?

From what I've read, this is only available in Europe, but not North America. However I do not have satellite radio so I do not know if it is different in this case (If anyone has that and can answer this one, it would be welcome).

If I am wrong on anything here anyone, don't hesitate to correct me!

Hope this helped...!

mapezzul
08-10-2005, 06:32 PM
The other way around is to have BlueTooth, then the integration allows you to switch song using the steering wheel buttons, the sound is transferred wireless and your commands to the iPod as well. The only hiccup is BlueTooth is not available as a standalon option, it only comes with BMW Assist (1000$ CDN, about 750 U$ I guess). I do not know if BMW has plans for future upgrades to BlueTooth on its cars, without the BMW Assist, I have no idea what such a retrofit would imply.

The Ipod will not work with the bluetooth, not sure where you got a bluetooth ipod but that is something they may have sooner or later. The bandwidth of bluetooth would not be able to handle transfering that much info. In the BMW it is used to pair with bluetooth phones, much less bandwidth required, the sound is not a high quality music track.
So in conclusion.... the ipod will work with the AUX input not the BT. BUT they do make wireless RF (radio frequency)and wireless IR (infa-red),remotes for the ipod so you can keep it tucked away in the console charging and use the remote to change the song.
Through thr AUX input (basically you connect a headphone wire with a jack on both ends, 1 coming out of the IPOD and 1 plugs into the AUX jack) you WILL NOT get the ID3 tags (title artist, album) just the music. I am sure they will be coming out with an OEM IPOD fit for the E90 sooner or later.... they have them for previous generations!

mapezzul
08-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Welcome to the 'FEST!!
If you read the post above I addressed the IPOD issue. The MP3 playback is also a feature of the cd player, you can "burn" a data cd with mp3s on it (not music files) and it will play the MP3s it does display the ID3 data as well. The NAV/iDrive cars currently do not support this feature due to software issues, as of September this feature will also function for iDrive cars. The RDS feature is also a software issue that should be addressed also in September!

Hope that helps... Basically you do not need an IPOD for mp3 playback, if you have one great just not going to be integrated as nice as most would like! :thumbup:

Aabid
08-10-2005, 08:51 PM
There is another option to use the IPOD. IPOD your BMW was offered by BMW where you can connect your IPOD to a the Car directly through an interface which powered your IPOD and let you control your IPOD from the steering wheel along with displaying 1d3 Tags. Hoever, this is not offered in the new E90, though a different company by the name of dension offers this product as well. Wait until they make a similar interface for the E90 and you will be set. Their interface plug into the CD Changer port on the BMW. So all you have to do it switch to CD and then start using the steering wheel or the dash board buttons.

Cheers

Scarlett
08-11-2005, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=mapezzul]Welcome to the 'FEST!!
If you read the post above I addressed the IPOD issue. feature of the cd player, you can "burn" a data cd with mp3s on it (not music files) and it will play the MP3s it does display the ID3 data as well. The NAV/iDrive cars currently do not support this feature due to software issues, as of September this feature will also function for iDrive cars. The RDS feature is also a software issue that should be addressed also in September!

Thank you all for your feedback!

mapezzul -- the software issue that is due in Sept, is that something that will only be for cars produced Sept and after? Or is it something that my dealer will be able to install for my car produced pre-September?

Thanks again :)

GaryRudolph
08-18-2005, 11:58 PM
The NAV/iDrive cars currently do not support this feature due to software issues, as of September this feature will also function for iDrive cars. The RDS feature is also a software issue that should be addressed also in September!
At the end of June I picked a 645 as an ED and during the orientation they said it now supported MP3 playback. I didn't have an MP3 disk with me to verify. We'll see when it comes in as I'm itching to test it as they said even the CD changer supported MP3 playback. If so, that's a lot of music. Also, it was listed in the manual as supporting it, and it showed how to navigate the folders on the disc.

scepter77
08-19-2005, 09:52 AM
The Ipod will not work with the bluetooth, not sure where you got a bluetooth ipod but that is something they may have sooner or later. The bandwidth of bluetooth would not be able to handle transfering that much info. In the BMW it is used to pair with bluetooth phones, much less bandwidth required, the sound is not a high quality music track.
So in conclusion.... the ipod will work with the AUX input not the BT. BUT they do make wireless RF (radio frequency)and wireless IR (infa-red),remotes for the ipod so you can keep it tucked away in the console charging and use the remote to change the song.
Through thr AUX input (basically you connect a headphone wire with a jack on both ends, 1 coming out of the IPOD and 1 plugs into the AUX jack) you WILL NOT get the ID3 tags (title artist, album) just the music. I am sure they will be coming out with an OEM IPOD fit for the E90 sooner or later.... they have them for previous generations!

Although I don't believe this will allow you to control your Ipod from the steering wheel, it does show that you can transmit from your ipod(or any mp3 player) streaming music.

http://mobilemag.com/content/100/104/C4438/

Quick note: While pairing my Treo 650 with my E90, the Nav display initially registered it as an "audio device" before quickly switching to "phone". At least the car knows that bluetooth audio devices may exist someday.

mccurdyd
08-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi Everyone
I just picked up my 325i and clearly on the Window Sticker is says CD/MP3 player. I have iDrive and Nav and everything I have seen here says MP3 CDs do not work with Nav (yet). It even confirms that on the brochures. But why would it be on the Window sticker? Has anyone gotten this to work, or should I just call BMW CR and see what they say?