PDA

View Full Version : M3/ M sport steering wheel

ada
08-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Guys,

What is the difference between the M3 (non SMG) and M sport steering wheel? They look so similiar.

Additionally, if I have a M3 or M Sport steering wheel can it be retrofitted later for the paddle-shift?

Please help if you can.

LMC
08-13-2005, 09:06 AM
The two wheels are almost identical. The only difference is the color of the stitching thread...black for the M sport and M colors for the M3.

Mr Paddleshift flawlessly moved my SMG paddles from my non-M sport steering wheel to an M sport steering wheel that I already owned. Perfect! :thumbup:

ada
08-13-2005, 12:05 PM
LMC,

Thanks, for the prompt reply. I am attempting to retrofit the SMG paddles into a M sport or M3 steering wheel.

However, I am wondering if the M3 or M sport steeering wheel have a housing area for the SMG micro-switch.

Please see my post for pictures and explanation:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=284333

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Been there done that. This mod is so 2001. See if you have been nicer about the the whole "educational not monetary" and the "vendor/sponsor" comments, I would have helped.

LMC
08-13-2005, 05:41 PM
I am attempting to retrofit the SMG paddles into a M sport or M3 steering wheel. However, I am wondering if the M3 or M sport steeering wheel have a housing area for the SMG micro-switch.

OK...obviously there is room there as Vince has done quite a few. I read the fanatics thread and see where you enjoy the challenges of a DIY. Good for you!

I don't know whether you tried contacting Mr Paddleshift or not, but he's a great guy and has on more than one occasion been willing to provide DIY advice on the board, thereby losing a customer but presumably gaining a friend. :thumbup:

ada
08-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Been there done that. This mod is so 2001. See if you have been nicer about the the whole "educational not monetary" and the "vendor/sponsor" comments, I would have helped.

No you won't. You are selfish and greedy.
I am doing this to learn and not to compete for your business. Therefore, don't be scared. I am not trying to steal your thunder. relax bro!