PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Line

timboogeyman
08-21-2005, 02:57 AM
So I was at work tonight and one of my co-workers tells me that there is a huge puddle of "oil" sitting under my car. I checked it out and it turned out to be my power steering fluid and the line seemed to have a small gash. It is noticable of course when driving at slow speeds and pulling out of parking spaces but would anyone know how I can do this myself? where I can purchase the power steering line? and how long i can go without replacing it without damage to the car.

thank you very much
tim

deilenberger
08-21-2005, 08:30 PM
So I was at work tonight and one of my co-workers tells me that there is a huge puddle of "oil" sitting under my car. I checked it out and it turned out to be my power steering fluid and the line seemed to have a small gash. It is noticable of course when driving at slow speeds and pulling out of parking spaces but would anyone know how I can do this myself? where I can purchase the power steering line? and how long i can go without replacing it without damage to the car.

thank you very much
timAnswers - no idea as your skill level is unknown.
BMW dealer
You will damage the power steering pump in rather short order since it's lubricated by the fluid it's pumping. No fluid - it will seize up.

I'd stop driving the car until you fix it or have it fixed, and I suspect based on your questions you might be better of having it fixed.

SoloII///M
08-22-2005, 07:43 AM
The factory BMW hose clamps are notorious for failing. Are you sure the clamp did not just fail?

Lots of us have replaced the low pressure lines (the flexible rubber hoses to and from the reservoir) with good old hydraulic pressure hose and a couple screw clamps and have had no problems. Lots cheaper than the BMW parts, too.

JV

timboogeyman
08-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I did get the Line and Hose replaced and it turns out that the pump itself was failing so I am getting that replaced as well.