PDA

View Full Version : Adjust xenon headlights?

SaveItK
08-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Is there a way to adjust them? I don't think they are high enough or project far enough down the road. Is there is a way to adjust them? They are auto-levelling and move up when I start the car.

Thanks for the help (hopefully I can avoid taking the car into the dealership??)

SaveItK
08-21-2005, 08:37 PM
anyone?

jbollier
08-22-2005, 08:24 AM
I adjusted mine up with that little screw located--? Hell I forgot where it is located, I will have to go home and look again. The point of my story is this, I thought the lights were low so I raised them up a little but I ended up putting them back where they were. It did not really help raising them up and overriding the self adjuster, all it will do is get your HID's shot out by some hothead punk that thinks you are shining your lights in his eyes

Greco
08-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Quoting an intelligent source...

Assuming you can get a perfectly level surface between the front tire and the wall (pretty rare) then the mesurement of 2 feet above the ground is about 1 inch above the centre of the headlight from 25 feet away.

Since the headlight height is 23 inches (=/- .25"), and since the speck calls for a 2.1" drop then the cutoff line shining on that wall should be ~21' above the ground.
At 24" your lights would be aimed upward.

The best (easiest) method I can find is to use the lazer levels that everyone seems to have now.

Ensuring the car is first level, then hold the lazer level at the headlight - with the lazer output level with the centre of the bulb. Now the point on the wall is the level of the centre of your headlight. Mark that (2 people helps at this stage) and then draw another mark about 2" lower. That is the aiming mark for the cutoff line.

Actually I aim mine at a 1 inch drop and do not get flashed - I think that is OK as long as you keep the auto leveling system in tune.

Hope this helps.

SaveItK
08-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Awesome Bill thanks! I would need to know where the adjustment screw is first... jbollier, can you let me know where you find it.. I appreciate the help!

jvr826
08-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Awesome Bill thanks! I would need to know where the adjustment screw is first... jbollier, can you let me know where you find it.. I appreciate the help!

It's on the top of the light assembly, I believe mine was black and blended in with the other plastic. It looks like a large philips head screw.

When I had the dealer adjust mine "to spec" they were way too low. They suggested I do it myself, adjust them up a little at a time until I was getting the spread I wanted, but avoid blinding oncoming cars. I boosted them up a couple inches on the wall and it worked out - I wasn't getting any flashes from oncoming drivers, but had what I needed.

jbollier
08-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Good stuff, I'm going to buy one of those laser levels today and check my lights when I get home. Kevin, I will take pictures and send them to your e-mail.
God I love this site!
james@rodmanexcavation.com

Oscswa
08-22-2005, 03:15 PM
kbuicker, be aware that the drivers side headlight will only go so far up.

There are 2 adjusters on each headlight one for vertical and the other for horizontal. I have found that when adjusting turn your headlights on and then adjust them. The screw driver in your trunk fits perfectly for adjusting them. I will see if I can take a picture of my beam pattern tonight to give you a reference.

Oscswa
08-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Good stuff, I'm going to buy one of those laser levels today and check my lights when I get home. Kevin, I will take pictures and send them to your e-mail.
God I love this site!
james@rodmanexcavation.com
jbollier, you don't live too far from me. I have my garage already marked with the correct height level if you need to check it.

SaveItK
08-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Excellent thanks guys! I plan to add my rear lip spoiler tonight and then adjust the headlights.
I just found out we have a new employee at work that is an ex bmw tech! cool!

SaveItK
08-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, I did what I could, the xenons DID move, but minimally.
I turned the WHITE screw'allen screws but they would only raise so much. Shoot, even my fog lamp shoots a longer beam than my xenons!

Kevin

SaveItK
08-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Do you guys think we should adjust the lights BEFORE turning them on? I was thinking the auto-levelling unit may lift them to a certain point and not allow anymore adjustment?

yfzcentral
08-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Im having the same problem with mine. They simply don't project far enough.

Im thinking of just finding a long road at night and adjusting that way?

E39spd
08-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Maybe the headlight adjusters are broken on your headlights, mine were and I could never get the lights up enough, after taking to the dealer, they told me the adjusters were broken (if you push on the bottom of the light socket for the low beams and they move up and down freely, they are broken).

After replacment I was able to get lots of movement up, and still not blind oncomming traffic.

Good luck.

bmwe39us
08-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Read that your adjusters were broken, and replaced by the dealer. Did they replace the entire headlight housing or just the adjusters? I'm assuming that you have a AE headlights, halogens or xenons? From what I heard these units cannot be opened to replace the adjusters - is that true??

fangtl
08-24-2005, 12:56 PM
You have to take apart the headlight in order to replace the adjusters, which are sold seperately for around $15. BMW part #63120027924

Oscswa
08-24-2005, 05:28 PM
kbuicker has AE headlights which if broken will need to have the whole headlight unit replaced. With AE's you are unable to replace just the adjusters.

kbuicker, I adjusted mine with my lights on. I also noticed that when I moved them a certain direction they did not move. I had to adjusted the vertical first using one direction, if it didn't move i turned the opposite direction until they started to move. Then did the same procedure for horizontal. Once I got them moving quite a bit, I started to adjust. Then you can see what the limit on the adjusters are just by the way that they don't move any further in one direction. I know this sounds complicated so if this doesn't make sense call me at work and I can explain it better.

Email me here at oscar.martinez@wnco.com

yfzcentral
08-24-2005, 09:15 PM
I keep trying to adjust them but no luck, err...They move up/down, but the highest they go still isn't cutting it.

Guess I'll have to take it to the dealer?

SaveItK
08-25-2005, 08:13 PM
I keep trying to adjust them but no luck, err...They move up/down, but the highest they go still isn't cutting it.

Guess I'll have to take it to the dealer?

let me know what you find out yfzcentral, I'm in the same boat you are.

Oscar, I think I adjusted them all the way one way.. I noticed the would move down, so I adjusted the othar way only to 'max' them out.. they still did not move above the marks I made on the wall.

If we all meet at the show, we can all compare and see if there really is a problem.

yfzcentral
08-25-2005, 10:48 PM
I think my adjusters are broken...My lights move/wiggle a lot when I touch them. I thought that if the adjuster is broken, then I couldnt move them up/down?

So with AE's, the adjusters are fixable?

fangtl
08-26-2005, 06:15 AM
^^

Yes, but you pretty much have to disassemble the entire AE headlight to replace just the adjusters.

tsaros
08-26-2005, 07:50 AM
You have to take apart the headlight in order to replace the adjusters, which are sold seperately for around $15. BMW part #63120027924
Any info on how to replace this adjuster?

yfzcentral
08-26-2005, 11:59 PM
I think im going to try and figure out how to fix the adjusters. If I do go through with it, ill post pictures.

fangtl
08-27-2005, 07:22 AM
It's a lot work to replace AE headlights, the replacement procedure is in the service manual. It is not difficult but time consuming.

yfzcentral
08-27-2005, 10:11 AM
I dont have a service manual, doh!

Where can I get/download one at?

Oscswa
08-27-2005, 09:56 PM
let me know what you find out yfzcentral, I'm in the same boat you are.

Oscar, I think I adjusted them all the way one way.. I noticed the would move down, so I adjusted the othar way only to 'max' them out.. they still did not move above the marks I made on the wall.

If we all meet at the show, we can all compare and see if there really is a problem.
No problem we can do that. Hopefully I can make it.

SaveItK
08-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Well, I know there is definitely somethign wrong with my xenon angle.. I pulled up to a light yesterday and there was a new Porsche GT2 next to me.. his xenons shot at least twice as far as mine.. argh!!

E39spd
08-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, I know there is definitely somethign wrong with my xenon angle.. I pulled up to a light yesterday and there was a new Porsche GT2 next to me.. his xenons shot at least twice as far as mine.. argh!!Kbuiker, the dealer replaced the head lights under warantty. The car was out of the std waranty, but was a CPO, and they did a one time fix for me.

Try to talk to BMWUSA if you go the replacment route, they offered 2 for the price of 1 at one point which is not a bad deal.

Seems they are getting a lot of broken adjusters and trying to make things work with the owners.

I would try this route before trying to disassemble and reassemble the AE's as everyone says they are sealed units, and there are no replaement parts (the old ones were replaceable).

SaveItK
08-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Excellent, how do I go about contacting BMWUSA? Maybe shooting them an email on the site?

yfzcentral
08-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Dangit, my car is a 2000, out of warranty, and has AE's now, guess i'm screwed.

So final answer is that yes, the adjusters CAN be fixed on Angel eye lights. But we don't have a part number for the adjusters since one listed on bmwtips.com is for PRE angel eye lights. :cry:

E39spd
08-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Excellent, how do I go about contacting BMWUSA? Maybe shooting them an email on the site?I would call the 1-800 number for customer service, talking to a real person always helps.

fangtl
08-29-2005, 10:06 AM
I would be interested to see if BMWNA would be willing to goodwill this repair since many E39 owners are now experiencing this problem.

Please let us know what you find out.

SaveItK
08-29-2005, 10:46 AM
They basically told me to go to the dealership :(

SaveItK
08-29-2005, 03:47 PM
I have an appt at Classic BMW at 9 on saturday if anyone would like to meet. I am going to have both xenons adjusted.. service tech said $239 for both to be adjusted.

Oscswa
08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I have an appt at Classic BMW at 9 on saturday if anyone would like to meet. I am going to have both xenons adjusted.. service tech said $239 for both to be adjusted.
WHAT! you have to be joking!

$239 just to have them adjusted?

That seems way too high just to have them adjusted. Before you spend money at classic, dude let me take a look at them.

SaveItK
08-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Sure, when can we meet?

Msg from my service rep:

"KEVIN:
At the high end if all we need to do is adjust the headlights it should be around $235.00. We have to wait and see but right now 2 hours of labor would be a fair assessment. There may be a part that needs to be replaced but we will not know until the car is brought in. I am not sure what specific part this or how much that will cost if we need to replace something."

E39spd
08-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Sure, when can we meet?

Msg from my service rep:

"KEVIN:
At the high end if all we need to do is adjust the headlights it should be around $235.00. We have to wait and see but right now 2 hours of labor would be a fair assessment. There may be a part that needs to be replaced but we will not know until the car is brought in. I am not sure what specific part this or how much that will cost if we need to replace something."Kbuicker, did you look at your PM's I sent you one a few days ago. You really should read that.

Also, when I started the process by having BMW adjust mine, they said cost would be 1 hour of labor ($90).

E39spd
08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
I would be interested to see if BMWNA would be willing to goodwill this repair since many E39 owners are now experiencing this problem.

Please let us know what you find out.fangtl, check post 13 on the following thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54410

fangtl
08-30-2005, 11:58 AM
fangtl, check post 13 on the following thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54410

E39spd, was your car CPO'ed/under warranty?

If out of warranty did you contact BMWNA or worked something out with your dealership?

SaveItK
08-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, I contacted BMWUSA, the car is out of warranty since MAy.. darn!

They told me to contact a shop other than a dealership to look at the lights.
Which I have done, Autoscope in Plano TX.

Jeff at BMWUSA was great, very helpful and friendly.. he told me the only things my car has been in for was the fuel pump, radio speakers, and a dead battery! cool!

E39spd
08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
E39spd, was your car CPO'ed/under warranty?

If out of warranty did you contact BMWNA or worked something out with your dealership?It was in the CPO phase of the waranty, which does not cover lights. Contacted BMWUSA. but it looks like it did not work for kbuicker when calling BMWUSA.

yfzcentral
08-30-2005, 09:11 PM
So i just zip tied mine..not perfect but it works.

SaveItK
08-31-2005, 11:01 AM
I have an appt at 'Autoscope' off of Coit and 190 for tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what they find.

Kevin

Oscswa
08-31-2005, 02:57 PM
I have an appt at 'Autoscope' off of Coit and 190 for tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what they find.

Kevin
Let me know what they tell you or let us all know what they tell you. Like I said before I have adjusted mine several times.

Let me us know and if you don't like the answer we can meet.

email me here @ oscar.martinez@wnco.com and I will give you my phone number. We can talk.