PDA

View Full Version : Bargaining for a M3, suggestions please

silvscorp
08-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Just read this other thread about a used M3, 35k miles with some what ok options and marked at 45k. As most would agree that a high 30k or very low 40k would seem decent.

Now my question is that whe negotiating such a case with a dealer, is it good way to make the approach by droping the price by $5000-6000k in one shot? Would the dealer ask you to walk right away?

Don't have much experience with such type of bargain, especially m3 holds value pretty good comparing to others.

appreciated for the help.

DDawg
08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I've been battling (negotiating) with a few Bay Area dealer(s) on a new 2005 M3 (~$59K, comp, SMG, moon roof, HK, leather, elec driver seat, xenons). I've only been able to get $1k-$1.4K off MSRP. The dealer offering $1K off will throw in full tank of gas, car mats and a car cover so it's about a wash with the other offering $1.4K.
I'm a complete newb to the world of M3 and what I've seen on various message boards was around $2k-$3K discount, but that was in the April/May timeframe when there was probably more inventory. It's all supply and demand. KBB shows customers paying full MSRP on average-Don't know how accurate that is...

I could buy a 330 all day long at $500 over invoice and a .001335 money factor compared to the M3's at .00235-.00255 depending on security deposit.

I want to pull the trigger, but it's a lot a of money even on a lease.

silvscorp
08-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Well I've been reading through many forums related to this type of situation and everyone is saying how much I should be getting the car for. ($4000 off MSRP) But the question is how do you talk down the price by so much?

Pinecone
08-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Offer the lower price, and walk out the door if they won't go for it. And it helps to have a check in your hand to pay for the car when you negotiate.

DDawg
08-22-2005, 03:32 PM
If you want the lowest price, you'll also have to shop it to several BMW dealers, so consider the time, energy, and mental well being versus $ saved. There's alway's tradeoff's too, for example, my dealer offers loaners and their shuttle vehicle is a 7 series and not some van where you'll spend half the day dropping people off. In the end you get what you pay for.

By the way I pulled the trigger just an couple of hours ago :thumbup:
2005 M3 jet black on black, SMG, competition package, xenon's, moonroof, HK, all the bells and whistles for the seats, car cover, full set of M3 mats...
I don't know whether to laugh, cry, puke, or scream right now, but at least the obsessive internal struggle in my head is over. :D

bren
08-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Well I've been reading through many forums related to this type of situation and everyone is saying how much I should be getting the car for. ($4000 off MSRP) But the question is how do you talk down the price by so much?
$4k off? Isn't that about invoice? Good luck with that.....

Rob325_in_AZ
08-22-2005, 04:55 PM
$4k off? Isn't that about invoice? Good luck with that.....

But isn't he talking about an used car?

Why are they even talking about invoice and MSRP on an used car?
Shouldn't the negotiation be centered around how much above or below KBB value?

spta97
08-23-2005, 05:56 AM
You can walk out of all the dealers you want, but the market in your area will determine your price. Regarding the used one, I had a really hard time finding one that met all my constraints (6MT was the deal breaker, very few of those for some reason). The ones I was looking at were all in the mid 40's and that was used 2002 with like 50k. I made the decision that buying a new one was my best bet (and only about $10k more). This way I could get exactly what I want and have a full warantee.

Shopping for my new one was done mostly over the phone and after calling about 10 dealers I realized that $1000 off MSRP was the average price. I was able to find a dealer that went $2000 off and decided to go with them. Now granted, it was not in the nicest area (Queens, NY) and the dealership building was nothing compared to the palaces with marble floors I saw but all of a sudden those things didn't matter when I looked at the money I was saving.

Funny too, the sales woman I dealt with was the nicest out of the whole lot. So I've got a couple weeks to go on my delivery and I'm happy thus far.

I had looked into leasing but these cars hold their value so well I feel that purchasing is the way to go. If I want to sell it in a few years it's nice to know that I will not loose that much $$$ (if history is any indication).

Just remember, just because someone is charging you more does not mean that the dealership is better. Shop around and you will see what the cheapest price is.

Frank Rizzo
08-23-2005, 06:44 AM
The thing is (as one dealer told me) "Sir - this is NOT a Monte Carlo".....
I've blown it twice negotiating for used M3's: there's an a$$ for every seat.

Lesson learned: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107097

silvscorp
08-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Since it's an used car and obviously I won't have much choices. It's not likely for many dealers to have the exact kind I am interested in. It will be tough for me to just walk if dealer rejects my offer. I am in NJ and there are only 4 dealers within an ideal travel distance. I've check all their sites for Certified Inventory and none of them shows many M3s. Are those online check up-to-date or it's best for me to pay them a visit?( For one dealer I found 2 m3 on their site but when called, they didn't have anything..)

I am trying to buy it by the end of this season, before winter hits, hopefully I can get a decent deal?

thanks for the help.

sfca-325i
08-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Just read this other thread about a used M3, 35k miles with some what ok options and marked at 45k. As most would agree that a high 30k or very low 40k would seem decent.

Now my question is that whe negotiating such a case with a dealer, is it good way to make the approach by droping the price by $5000-6000k in one shot? Would the dealer ask you to walk right away?

Don't have much experience with such type of bargain, especially m3 holds value pretty good comparing to others.

appreciated for the help.

Price sounds high, but it is impossible to respond without knowing the year and the key options.

silvscorp
08-23-2005, 11:48 AM
What I have in mind is a 03 m3 coupe with around 30k miles. For the options, may be the moonroof, xenon light, electric seat, alarm may be navi? Pretty much just a little above the standard package.

Ara7
08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
The amount you can get off your new M3 depends on where you live in the US. I live in So Calif and was only able to get $1000 off MSRP plus M3 floor mats and of course a full tank of gas (big deal on the gas, but that's $50 as of today). That was checking with 5 dealers.
The M3 was going for $10,000 over sticker here in SoCal only 3 years ago.
Some people on the East Coast are able to get $2000-4000.
The total mark up for an M3 is $4500. Of course the dealer still gets money back on top of that from BMW (all car manufacturers do that) probably around $2000.
Check around with different dealers in your area and Good Luck!

Ara :)

Pinecone
08-24-2005, 02:45 AM
Why stick with your area? WItht he INternet, shop around. So you don't get a loaner from you dealer, if you save some $2000 - $3000, that will pay for a LOT of rental cars.

silvscorp
08-24-2005, 09:36 AM
That's a good point, I don't think loaner will mean much to me anyways since it is going to be used as a weekend car mainly. So if I tell the dealer that I won't need a loaner, that might knock off some more $$?

sfca-325i
08-24-2005, 12:32 PM
That's a good point, I don't think loaner will mean much to me anyways since it is going to be used as a weekend car mainly. So if I tell the dealer that I won't need a loaner, that might knock off some more $$?

No.

I believe Pinecone's suggestion was to widen your search geography to include non-local dealers. Most service departments limit their loners to customers who have purchased the car from their dealerships. If you can negotiate a much better net price (includes travel cost to go and pick up the car) from a non-local dealer, the only thing you give up is a loaner car (assuming your local dealership offers loaners).

Pinecone
08-24-2005, 04:39 PM
No.

I believe Pinecone's suggestion was to widen your search geography to include non-local dealers. Most service departments limit their loners to customers who have purchased the car from their dealerships. If you can negotiate a much better net price (includes travel cost to go and pick up the car) from a non-local dealer, the only thing you give up is a loaner car (assuming your local dealership offers loaners).

Exactly.

Call Roy Dennis at Russel BMW, 410-744-2000.

He has done many out of town sales and does a very good job on price.

There are advantages to buying in your local area, but it doesn't work, there are options.

silvscorp
08-25-2005, 08:58 AM
thanks for all the advises, I'll shop around in the local area first, unless I really run out of options. Due to personal situation, I really can't travel out too far for purchasing the car, especially I am planning on a trade in). I'll keep my eyes open just in case.

thanks agian.

Pinecone
08-25-2005, 12:08 PM
NJ to Baltimore is not very far. :)

And anyway, you really want to do a Performance Center Delivery.

silvscorp
08-25-2005, 12:12 PM
It's about 3 hours from my home. The potential problem might be driving my car down there for an appraisal, bargaining, etc. It's possible that I might need to make many trips but I really don't have the time to do 6 hour round trip every weekend. :rolleyes:

silvscorp
08-25-2005, 08:12 PM
One more question, since I am planning on trade in, which one should I start first? Should I bargain and set the value on the trade in car first or the m3 first. I don't know if there will be any differences, I figure, if I bargain a good value on the trade in car, then the dealer will no drop much on M3. The other way around, if I bargain too much on the M3, then they'll drop my trade in by a lot.

Any thoughts on that?

Pinecone
08-26-2005, 05:19 AM
ALWAYS bargain for the price of the car, then ask about trade in. That way you know your true trade in value.

And in general, trading is a way to lose money.

silvscorp
08-26-2005, 05:59 AM
thanks for the tip.

I know trade-in is loosing money, however in my situation it might not be much of a difference. I currently have a 02 wrx modded to 320hp, absolutely love it. Great for city and highway. The amount of power is just rite for daily driving. (that's why I don't want get another car that's less than 300hp). Long story short, it was stolen, thanks to lowjack :rolleyes: it was recovered in less than 10 hours with about $5000 worth of damage, mainly exteriror. So far no known mechanical damage yet.

For reliability issue, I decide to change a car. For this car at $36k miles it goes for around 14 - 15k private party and 13.5k for trade-in. However, since it's been stolen, I'll have to tell the buyer if selling privately which will drop the price severely? As for the dealer, most them won't check, some might run a carfax but as for now, carfax shows clear record. I guess end up it won't make a major difference in price?

DaKine
08-28-2005, 04:26 PM
I think you are going to have a hard time bargaining for an M3. If the price is already reasonable, they are going to find buyers.My advice? Go back to the traditional way of bargaining; Bring a couple of big Italian's and a crowbar :D

Blue book doesn't seem to work well for M Series cars... I bought an '02 M Coupe. KBB was south of $30, but you would never, ever find one for that price.

And sorry to hear about your car being stolen. Did they find the bastards who did it??

Pinecone
08-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Many dealers won't take a seriously modded car in trade. They just don't sell. MUCH better to sell it private.

Pinecone
08-29-2005, 05:22 AM
I think you are going to have a hard time bargaining for an M3. If the price is already reasonable, they are going to find buyers.My advice? Go back to the traditional way of bargaining; Bring a couple of big Italian's and a crowbar :D

Blue book doesn't seem to work well for M Series cars... I bought an '02 M Coupe. KBB was south of $30, but you would never, ever find one for that price.

And sorry to hear about your car being stolen. Did they find the bastards who did it??

He is talking about bargaining on a NEW car, and prices in most places these days are below MSRP.

silvscorp
08-29-2005, 09:09 AM
He is talking about bargaining on a NEW car, and prices in most places these days are below MSRP.

Actually I want to bargain for a used M3. I know probably I won't get much compare to other cars but just want to get the most out of it and want to know what's a good price considering the specs I've listed in the previous threads (03 m3 coupe with around 30k miles. Options, std 6-speed, Harmon Kardon sound, moonroof, xenon light, electric seat, alarm may be navi? Pretty much a little above the standard)

As for the trade-in, I will put the car back to stock 100% for sure.

Pinecone
08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
If you are dealing with a used car, offer a price, if they don't take it, leave a number and walk away.

WRT your current car, have you CarFaxed it?

silvscorp
08-30-2005, 07:51 AM
As I mentioned before, my car was stolen at the end of July, and I just ran a CarFAX two weeks ago and it came out clean. (not sure if this will ever get on it, or may be just take a long time?)

I did a search on cars.com, autotrader.com and found many used ones. Apparently for the used ones, 20-30k miles goes for 44k. The new 05 one with decent option comes out to be in the 50k mark, but with an invoice at 46k. I've been hearing people bargaining for as good as 1000 below the invoice. In that case I'd better off getting a new one.

As I described above, does that mean there will be a lot more bargaining room for the used car? Possible bring 4k down from the marked 44k?

afx twin
08-30-2005, 08:11 AM

afx twin
08-30-2005, 08:12 AM
The new 05 one with decent option comes out to be in the 50k mark, but with an invoice at 46k. I've been hearing people bargaining for as good as 1000 below the invoice. In that case I'd better off getting a new one.
:yikes: i'd sure like to know where they've been going so i can get one at that price too! :yikes: