PDA

View Full Version : You guys from Maryland REALLY have a strong accent . . .

AF
08-20-2002, 11:00 AM
I know this sounds weird and from going back and forth with a lot of you here, I never thought about this but today I was on the phone with someone who lives in Maryland and I was so surprised by the accent.

I know that we New Yawkers have an accent but this person from Maryland sounded very Southernish . . .

For some reason I can't picture you guys talking like that !?!?

TD
08-20-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Alan F
I know this sounds weird and from going back and forth with a lot of you here, I never thought about this but today I was on the phone with someone who lives in Maryland and I was so surprised by the accent.

I know that we New Yawkers have an accent but this person from Maryland sounded very Southernish . . .

For some reason I can't picture you guys talking like that !?!?

Um, most of us don't.

Ben Chou
08-20-2002, 11:03 AM
I have lived in Maryland my whole life and I don't have a southern accent.

TD
08-20-2002, 11:04 AM
I'll go as far as to say that no one I know locally has a southern accent. You're much more likely to find a foreign accent around here than a southern one.

AF
08-20-2002, 11:07 AM
Are you guys sure ? ?

Maybe you guys have an accent but don't think you do !?!?

Can you guys do some type of soundwave and post it here :)

Ben Chou
08-20-2002, 11:10 AM
Are you guys sure ? ?

Yeah, You volunteering?

TD
08-20-2002, 11:10 AM
Are you guys sure ? ?

PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call, okay.

Ben Chou
08-20-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by TD

TD,

Give Alan an earful of that "Southern Maryland" accent!

Mathew
08-20-2002, 11:25 AM
A Maryland Accent??? never heard of one. And what would one sound like??

You guys consider Maryland part of the South?

TD
08-20-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by ///Mathew

A. Some long-time rural Marylanders have a slight accent that makes one pronounce Baltimore as "Ball-mer". But it's subtle. Most area residents are transplants (the economy is good here, people move) and one is more likely to hear a Pennsylvania accent than a Maryland one (as it seems many of the transplants are from PA).

B. Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon line as is, technically, southern. Although we have northern sensibilites (unlike Virginia).

·clyde·
08-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by EugieBaange
but I can categorically state that, here on the left coast, we do NOT have an accent... :D

Fer shur, like, ohmigod, you know? :yikes: (couldn't resist)

Maryland does have an accent, generally it's most clearly heard on words with an "oh" sound, like "road" For a really shameless exaggeration of it, watch "Tin Men" and listen to Danny DeVito's character.

Not everyone has it, and most people that live/grew up in the DC suburbs aren't (strongly) afflicted with it as opposed to the Baltimore area. Parts of the Eastern Shore have an entirely different accent that sounds like a cross between a deformed British (not Cockney, though) accent and the sterotypical SOuther Good Old Boy.

AF
08-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ///Mathew

never did until I spoke to this guy today . . . if he calls me again, I'll find out if he's originally from Maryland.

His area code for his phone number was 410 . . .

·clyde·
08-20-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by TD

A. Some long-time rural Marylanders have a slight accent that makes one pronounce Baltimore as "Ball-mer".

"Bawl-mer"

B. Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon line as is, technically, southern. Although we have northern sensibilites (unlike Virginia).
Northern sensibilties west of the Bay, which is most of the population if less than half the land area.

edit-fixed quotes

TD
08-20-2002, 11:37 AM

never did until I spoke to this guy today . . . if he calls me again, I'll find out if he's originally from Maryland.

410 is Baltimore and north plus the Eastern Shore. Reference Clyde's post and it's very likely that it was a Maryland accent.

It's just that those accents are actually rare.

·clyde·
08-20-2002, 11:38 AM

That's most of the state minus the DC suburbs.

Mathew
08-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by TD

i guess im just used to the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabamer, and Florduh etc etc being truly "southern"

Spiderm0n
08-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Having lived in Maryland for 7 years, I rarely noticed an accent (and I am another person originally from PA). The NY accent that I encounter now is much more pervasive and noticable!

Mr. The Edge
08-20-2002, 11:40 AM
When I lived in Virginia briefly, I could easily spot a Baltimore accent. It's akin to those from Philly, but not so noticeable.

AF
08-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by TD

LOL . . . ok :thumbup:

Spiderm0n
08-20-2002, 11:49 AM

LOL . . . ok :thumbup:

If he starts breathing heavily it may be hard to figure out what his accent is... :yikes:

johnlew
08-20-2002, 11:51 AM
Speaking of accents...anyone know what a "bubbler" is? A little local color here.

Mr. The Edge
08-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
Speaking of accents...anyone know what a "bubbler" is? A little local color here.

bratwurst?

jcliff
08-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by TD

410 is Baltimore and north plus the Eastern Shore. Reference Clyde's post and it's very likely that it was a Maryland accent.

It's just that those accents are actually rare.

Rare? Maybe in Montgomery County which is like a little slice of California on the Potomac. Ever go to Baltimore outside the inner harbor? Bawlmer Merrland is the city of rednecks and white trash. I would bet over half of the cities' population speaks with a distinct lazy accent that could be mistaken as southern to the untrained ear. Same with the Eastern Shore away from the monied folks on the water.

EdCT
08-20-2002, 12:40 PM
You fergot my two faves:
Tettaly. As in: Ohmigod! My car is tettaly hot! :D

And, when we get hungry around here, we eat feud.

I think it's a SoCal thing. I'm not.
If it's an "o", I say "o".

Drives me up the friggin' wall :mad:

I also like:

"ottomobile" for automobile and the slurred "sch" sound as in "he's a good schwimmer".

Dialects, today, are apt to be generational rather than regional.

However, here in CT, we draw-out our vowels. To the north of us, it's classic New England "cah" for car. To the south, as in New York, it's typical Nu Yawk stuff....

So gooooo figah..

Ed

·clyde·
08-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by jcliff

Rare? Maybe in Montgomery County which is like a little slice of California on the Potomac.

If it was, why would I be so desperate to get back to the real CA? :confused:

Ever go to Baltimore outside the inner harbor? Bawlmer Merrland is the city of rednecks and white trash.

Billytown is Billytown...what are you gonna do? :dunno:

Having to live in this godforsaken state, I'm glad that I live in Montogomery and not in the Baltimore area. I feel for you.

TD
08-20-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Clyde@work

If it was, why would I be so desperate to get back to the real CA? :confused:

Having to live in this godforsaken state...

If you hate it here so much, why do you stay?

I have family here and happen to like the area. Plus the schools are excellent.

I'm just wondering as you're always quick to slam the state/area.

ObD
08-20-2002, 05:30 PM
but I can categorically state that, here on the left coast, we do NOT have an accent... :D

Oh yea, how's *The* 101, *The* 405?

:lmao:

Dr. Phil
08-20-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by TD

I guess we could remove the reference to state/area replace it with E46 and ask you the same question:rolleyes:

·clyde·
08-21-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by TD

This could easily turn into a wall of text. The short version of why we stay is that we can't afford to move back to CA right now if we want to live in an area that we're happy with. Why we left CA basically boils down to my wife wanted to be physically closer to her family (her dad is in DC, her favorite sister is near Aberdeen, and the rest is spread from CT to NC) for a while, especially during the period where we planned on having kids. I knew how important this was to her and I have pretty clear sense of what's important in my life and, so, here we are.

I have more than enough family around here and I've never cared much for any of them. I have a lot of friends that still live here, and one of the very few things that I didn't like living in CA was that they weren't there with me. The MoCo schools were pretty highly regarded when I was growing up and they completely failed me. Granted that was 20 years ago (more or less), but it left me with very little faith in public school systems. If public schools work for my daughter, great. If not, there's private schools that don't have the impossible herculean task of being all things to all people.

And there's a whole laundry list of quality of life issues that I could ramble on about.

Everything considered, though, as much as I couldn't wait to leave when I was growing up and as much as I enjoyed living in CA when I did, if I can't live there, this is my second choice (no matter how distant).

Spiderm0n
08-21-2002, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by jcliff

Ever go to Baltimore outside the inner harbor? Bawlmer Merrland is the city of rednecks and white trash.

I have to disagree. I lived in Baltimore and its suburbs for 7 years. I would take my neighbors in Baltimore any day over my neighbors here in Jersey. Baltimore has some working class neighborhoods, but it also has some VERY nice neighborshoods.

·clyde·
08-21-2002, 06:19 AM
Hm, actually why *are* you so desperate to come back. When was the last the you spent a *lot* of time in the Golden State and what part were you spending it in?

We left LA in Feb '01, after living there and in SD for a total of about 12 years. The big thing I miss is that when I lived there I felt very little stress just in going about my daily routine. It's different here, and I don't like it.

Sometimes, I don't know why I stay...

psst.. did you know this place is just crawlin' with bleedin' heart liberals?

Spent much time in Montogomery County, Maryland? In comparison, San Diego County could use dreadmo as their poster child. (no offense dreadmo :) )

TD
08-21-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

I guess we could remove the reference to state/area replace it with E46 and ask you the same question:rolleyes:

Lighten up Phil. Find me my most recent E46 bashing post. It's certainly been a while.

And I only ever bashed the E46 as a response to my extreme disappointment in the direction BMW is heading. My disappointment is real and very strong so it translates directly into my opinion of current and future BMW models. I can't help that except to try to limit my comments. And I've done that.

Consider that, to me, blind E46 praising (which we have a lot of around here) hits my "ears" the same as my bashing hits yours. It strikes me as just so wrong. And sometimes (a minority of the time) I say something.

Please try to get over it.

jcliff
08-21-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Spiderm0n

I have to disagree. I lived in Baltimore and its suburbs for 7 years. I would take my neighbors in Baltimore any day over my neighbors here in Jersey. Baltimore has some working class neighborhoods, but it also has some VERY nice neighborshoods.

I couldn't agree more. I live in one of the better neighborhoods just north of the city line and love the great cost of living versus things to do ratio the city provides. I didn't intend for my post to be snobby, I feel it is the people of Baltimore that give the city a unique character.