PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Modfest Part 1 (SBAG Pics)

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:06 AM
I finished up the last pieces of my chassi modfications. Having already installed a complete GC supension, brakes etc I had a few odds and ends to finish up.

Part 1
TurnerMotor Sport Rear Subframe mounting points weld reinforcment kit
Turner Motorsprot Rear Subframe Grand Am Cup Bushing Kit

Ground Control Rear Trailing arm spherical bushings
Ground Control Upper Inner control arm shperical bushings

There we four reasons for doing these mods. 1) Reinforced the rear subframe mounting point, there has been a BMW SA on this. Common prolbem in the E36 and E30 M3's also. 2) Reduces/eliminate any rear roll steer- or "skate board" steering under conrnering accel/decel loads. 3) Eliminate any toe chance from trailing arm bushing deflection under corner load. 4) Eliminate any chamber changes as a result of stock rubber upper inner control arm bushing deflection.

WIth all the specialty tools and air power and welders this project took two of us 8 hours start to finish.

The bottom line is that these mods make th car more predictable in its' handling and make it possible to put a more accurate alingment on the rear supension

Picture one is the removal of the rear end. Peter Van Wingerden at Santa Barbara Auto Group did all the work. (Home of Bimmerfest.)

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Picture of the stock Subframe Bushing Puller...BMW Specialty tool

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Stock Rear Subframe bushings...

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:09 AM
New Turner Motorsport Grand Am Cup semi solid delirn bushing kit installed...

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:11 AM
preping the subframe mounting points for the reinforcement plates...

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:12 AM
Rear Turner Motorsport mounting point plated in place ready to be welded in...weld thru primer

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:12 AM
Close up of the front mountinog point plate welded in..

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Big Picture view of all four mounting point plates welded in...

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:15 AM
No into the trunk where we had to weld the sheet metal on the backside of the rear subframe mounting points... First we had to cut through a layer of sheet metal that forms the trunks shape, to get to the metal that actuall supports the subframe mounting point.

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Close up of area to be welded, marked by red dots. This brings two layers of stock sheet metal together with the Turner Motorsport rear reinforcing plates welded on the undercarriage earlier...

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:18 AM
On to the Ground Control parts... rear traling arm bushings installed, we used the same installation tool picture on the rear subframe bushing to remove the stock bushings and press and bolt these ones in...

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:19 AM
Detail Picture of the Ground Control upper inner control arm bushing...

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Upper arm ready for reintall...

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Once the rear end is reintalled here is what it looks like...you can see the Turner Motorsport weld in plate clearly here and the Grand Am Cup bushing. Note Swaybar is disconnected. This is the drivers side rear - rear subframe mounting point. Much sturdier than stock, its not going to tear out of here.

FlyingDutchMan
08-27-2005, 12:28 AM
I'll follow up with Part 2, finishing up the front chassis.

Turner Motorsport Front Subframe Reinforcment Kit
Turner Motorsport Solid Engine and Tranny mounts.

Par3 3 Driveline mods
UUC Evo 3 shortshiftre upgrade with DSSR
UUC Clutch and Flywheel
BHS Underdrive Pulleys

These parts are completed by I can't post pictures until the magazine article have hit and are off of the newsstands.

Riuster
09-22-2005, 10:01 PM
fantastic write up...now all i need are the tools. :thumbup:

Jon Shafer
09-22-2005, 10:12 PM
fantastic write up...now all i need are the tools.
Excellent Sander!

:thumbup:

Andre Yew
09-22-2005, 10:34 PM
For all the bad stories we hear about other dealers, SBAG (formerly Cutter Motors) is amazingly tolerant and sympathetic to modified and tracked cars. This thread pretty much proves it, but my experience with them, along with other people in SB I know who have modified and tracked BMWs, has been pretty positive, too.

--Andre

FlyingDutchMan
09-23-2005, 05:45 PM
For all the bad stories we hear about other dealers, SBAG (formerly Cutter Motors) is amazingly tolerant and sympathetic to modified and tracked cars. This thread pretty much proves it, but my experience with them, along with other people in SB I know who have modified and tracked BMWs, has been pretty positive, too.

--Andre

True...at least they'll work with you if you ask nicely...

It would be kind of hard to be intollerant of modders, aka BMW enthusiasts, and then credibly host events like Bimmerfest. Jon Shafer deserves a lot of credit for helping to set the tone there years ago.

black318i
01-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Did you remove the gas tank befor welding in the front plates? Also did you use a MIG welder?

Rear Turner Motorsport mounting point plated in place ready to be welded in...weld thru primer

FlyingDutchMan
01-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Did you remove the gas tank befor welding in the front plates? Also did you use a MIG welder?

No, we didn't. We actually filled the tank with fuel, because liquid fuel is less flammable that gas vapor.

You don't really get that close to it, we did keep lots of air and wet rags around the area being welded to keep things cool.

tim330i
01-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Very cool write up!

PhilH
02-01-2006, 03:52 AM
I agree, great pictures too.