PDA

View Full Version : how much should i pay?

dado11g
09-09-2005, 01:12 PM
what is the cheapest price i can expect to pay for a 92'-99' m3? im not very picky, but it has to be manual.

someguy
09-09-2005, 01:23 PM
I believe 95 is the first year in the U.S. for e36 m3's. Ive seen beat ones that are in horrible shape for $6500 all the way up to $30,000. You get what you pay for, and If money is the issue buy something else. They aren't cheap to repair. Maybe consider one of the others e36's with M-suspension and body package. It's cheaper to buy and has a lot of the same options. Plus there seems to be larger after market support for the 325/328 engines. :sabrina:
what is the cheapest price i can expect to pay for a 92'-99' m3? im not very picky, but it has to be manual.

M3ss
09-11-2005, 11:06 AM
depends on the shape and miles also the year plays a big role,and if it has a salvage or rebuilt title!!!

SoloII///M
09-12-2005, 11:05 AM
The cheapest M3 I'd want to drive daily would probably be around $12k and it would still need work. Parts for these cars are not expensive at all. Can do a brake job for under $300 with OE parts. Radiators for under $150. <shrug>

I'm selling my mint, low mileage '95 for $17k. :dunno:

someguy
09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
A $300 brake job is not cheap.....$100 brake job is cheap......other components such as factory suspension are not cheap for the ///M3. M3's have a list of M3 components that can be very costly......anyway I don't know what your current $$ situations are but if it's not alot then you could be taking a huge risk when buying a used ///M3, hell that goes for any used car.

SoloII///M
09-13-2005, 05:45 AM
A $300 brake job is not cheap.....$100 brake job is cheap......other components such as factory suspension are not cheap for the ///M3. M3's have a list of M3 components that can be very costly......anyway I don't know what your current $$ situations are but if it's not alot then you could be taking a huge risk when buying a used ///M3, hell that goes for any used car.

:confused:

I recently helped a friend do a brake job on his Geo Prizm. Using THE CHEAPEST front rotors, pads, rear drums and shoes, the cost was still over $125 for just the parts. $250 for a brake job is cheap. $250 on a high performance car is a screaming deal.

Factory suspension components? Who replaces their shocks with factory shocks? It makes no sense - they'll wear out in another 40k miles anyway. Konis can be had for $650 for a set if you shop around and they'll last essentially forever.

I'm sorry, if you don't think these prices are affordable, consider driving a Toyota or Nissan. None of this stuff is any cheaper for a 325/328 with the sole exception of the front ball joints being removable. :dunno:

someguy
09-13-2005, 07:37 AM
I still disagree with your standpoint, but its cool. With stuff like the suspension, most people want factory....I was a service writter a few years back and when the option for aftermarket came up, most people who steer towards OEM because they think the quailty is better, and in most cases it really is. As for brakes I've noticed most people want the cheapest....I don't know why....I think it's pretty dumb....but for brakes most people for some odd reason think they are all the same...the only thing I really was asked about was dust. Most brake jobs consisted of fronts and that could be done for about $120 w/labor. as for rears, 80% of cars don't need them(my opinion). At any rate this post is leaving topic

mcquarrie
09-30-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm just about to close on 98 M3 convertible - private seller, 40k miles, service records, truly mint condition. The a/c needs a service, and the steering wanders to the right, other than that the car is perfect. $19k. KBB says $21k

Right now its the best 3-series convertible, 100 miles around me for under $20k.
I've seen another M3 conv. 60k miles, in terrible condition, at a used car lot, and he asked $19,900.

I've been looking around for the last month and I think $20k is the max for a very good 98 M3. Also saw a 98 328iC with 62k miles, listed $20k, but the interior was not perfect, I would have offered $17.5k