PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing '95 m3...couple questions..

93hrdtptt
09-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Hey guys, new to the forums and to the whole concept of the m...its a 1995 5 speed with 97xxx mileage.

Anything I need to worry about? motor? tranny? the clutch was replaced 5 months ago, so I'm going to assume it only has a couple thousand on the clutch. It's obd1 and I'm not exactly too familiar with everything that comes along with it. How does the suspension hold up? front/rear? wheel ball bearings? anything I should be worried about or possible things that can go wrong?

I took the car for a spin and it felt great, handling was superb when I let off the throttle when it was winding down the idle became a little sportatic and jumped back to normal as if to sustain from stalling out. Higher rpms while I was out the car a little bit of clearish smoke came out. I hear it was because of the obd1 and it unloads more fuel in and its just a reaction.

My previous car came with more headaches than I needed haha, so I would just like to make sure the M can last a long time! haha thanks for your help! - Tom

Bruce
09-15-2005, 04:28 AM
Read this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30931

93hrdtptt
09-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks Bruce, but I would assume not ALL of that happens to every single e36? lol, I took the car for a spin and everything feels pretty solid, but when slamming it from 3rd to 4th, there is a almost clunky engagement...it felt like my getrag 6pd in the supra, it didn't really raise any flags, but just wondering if this is an issue or is this a normal querk in the e36 transmissions?

Pinecone
09-17-2005, 04:49 AM
A lot of that list are common to all E36 models and some are common across the BMW line.

Mainly a lot of normal wear items, especially the bushings, rear shock, rear trailing arm, and front control arm.