PDA

View Full Version : Need info: Anyone w E46M3 with no CDchanger

johnw
09-18-2005, 09:44 AM
or NAV system?? In the left inside trunk panel, is there a 6x6" hole with cover with a couple plastic trays inside for possible CD changer later installation?? Trying to figure if bracket for CD-player comes with the M3.

m3geezer
09-19-2005, 06:03 AM
I took my 6-CD Alpine/BMW from my E39 and installed it myself in my E46 when I got it. It requires a different bracket (actually a couple of L-shaped brackets), which I bought for around $8 at my dealer's parts counter. The changer fits right where you thought it should go, where one of those seemingly useless plastic trays is. If you have the BMW changer, the wiring is already there, so it is just plug and play. The hardest part of the installation is getting that left interior panel off so you can work in there.

elbert
09-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Not necessarily. In 2001, if your car didn't come with nav or the changer from the factory, it had a different driver side panel (ie no opening, and a different shape). With the face lift (>2002.5), all cars had the same panel regardless if it had nav, cd changer, or none.

johnw
09-19-2005, 09:02 PM
The CD changer in 2001 was always a dealer install....at least when I bought my '01. The left trunk panel in my '01 had the door even tho the CD-player was decided much later after the car reached the dealer. The CDchanger has never been a factory install. However, the brackets come standard in all M3s...for sure starting with '03. I am sure my '01 had the brackets too, but too late to find that out because I had the CDchanger dealer installed. .Just found these things out at BMW dealer. There are two plastic shelves held in place by spider web of brackets. The top one is for a CD changer if installed by the dealer. If you get a NAV system, this is a factory install. I think the NAV system fits in the bottom shelve, not sure.

m3geezer
09-20-2005, 06:35 AM
I stand corrected. Sorry to give any false hope.

Well, at least on the 2005, it was an easy job!

Pinecone
09-24-2005, 01:20 PM
I was just looking at a Oct/Nov 2001 build car (2002 model) and the drivers side did NOT have the cover that makes space for the CD changer and NAV. A MUCH smaller panel was there, no door.

Since my Mar 02 build car had the changer installed by the Performance Center, I have no idea what side panel came with the car.

I am pretty sure, later cars all got the side panel for changer NAV and assist.