PDA

View Full Version : 1998 M3 SMG newbie

Goodman M3
09-19-2005, 04:59 PM
I have recently purchased a 98 M3 SMG, it has very light, minor damage to offside front corner. Includes bonnet(just minor kink in offside front corner),headlight, indicator,bumper trim,bottom plastic mesh cover, bottom fog. The cosmetic damage is no problem(had to buy one like this to be able to afford). When car arrived it was on trailer and was locked in gear with a flat battery. Put jump leads on and did eventually start the car. It seamed to free its self and go into neutral so it could free roll. It will not seam to drive off, on the screen its says e 1 and has a triangle with an exclamation mark. The battery went flat again so i disconnected it and fitted another. Now i have ignition lights but it wont start, screen still says e 1 with triangle. I have since found a key pad in the glove box which i asume is some kind of imobilliser. Are these standard on the M3? It also has a Sigma alarm which appears to wind up the windows. I only got the car today and i know i have some work to do but any useful comments or advice would be good. Cheers All....... :dunno:

someguy
09-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Sorry about the bad luck, but goodluck with the rehabiltation period you'll be putting the car through. I unfourtunatly am clueless as to your problems, with never actually having any of that happening to me.....hmmmm

bavarian_6shot
09-23-2005, 09:41 AM
A 98' M3 with a SMG? I believe you are mistaken. You have an automatic. (?)

Vbp6us
09-23-2005, 03:42 PM
A 98' M3 with a SMG? I believe you are mistaken. You have an automatic. (?)

Werd. :tsk:

GrFa
09-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Werd. :tsk:

Actually you are both mistaken. SMG was available on the e36 M3 in Europe. And for the original poster, good luck with it!

Pinecone
09-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Yes, that was truely SMG, the version in the current E46 M3 is SMG II, and in the M5/M6 SMG III. The US SMG in non-M cars is/was known as SSG in Europe.

Find a good shop, since we didn't get SMG I over here, there is little known by Americans. Hopefully some European with experience might jump in, but I think a shop will be in order.

thilton59
10-03-2005, 06:06 AM
The e36 has an alarm and immobilzer as OEM options, but there is no keypad in the glove box. Try possibly the "code" setting. Read the manual about this. If when you try to start it you hear a little beep and the data screen says code, then you need to put in the code that the last driver set. If not that then just rent a code reader from autozone (these are free to rent) or take it in to any good shop or dealership, hopefullt they'll know. I have never seen "e1" before... Also, from first hand experience, if the damage to your car was caused by any variety of impact you might want to check all the couling and anderbody and probably get an alingment. And have you tried push starting? Somtimes there's just no substitute for the old fashion way.

M3MAN
10-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Actually you are both mistaken. SMG was available on the e36 M3 in Europe. And for the original poster, good luck with it!

My friend has a 1998 SMG. We bought our cars 6 months apart. I have the 6 speed getrag tranny. I have driven his car and the first generation SMG did not impress me, the factory claims gear changes on the order of ms but it feels it takes longer than that. I also belive the system degrades with time, besides I was never a fan of electronics on automobiles. Anyway, 2 years ago he had to replace the SMG pump for $1,400.

Congrats for your purchase and enjoy!

PS. Does your car have the S50B32 motor? (also referred to as "Euro-EVO" motor)

IceGT
10-20-2005, 08:34 PM
This is the first I have ever heard of the Euro models with SMG, I would really like to see that

tamum3
10-24-2005, 10:04 AM
This is the first I have ever heard of the Euro models with SMG, I would really like to see that

Found these pics on the web awhile back..

blobbynz
11-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Im looking at an e36 smg from HK
is the smg 1 ( ssg ) any good? I have a choice of two cars atm both yellow one a 95 3.0 manual or a 98 smg evo. Abit woried about the smg.

zydeone
11-23-2005, 07:58 AM
http://www.germancarfans.com/photos/3020324.001/1007big.jpg (http://www.germancarfans.com/photos.cfm/photoid/3020324.001/pageview/photo/photo/1007/size/regular/bmw/1.html)