PDA

View Full Version : My E36 M3 review/comparison


in_d_haus
08-27-2002, 06:10 PM
Ok,
As many of you have seen from the "Lookie" post I went and test drove an 1999 E36 M3 today. I am seriously considering purchasing the car. Some of you have asked my (dyed in the wool E46 fan) my opinion of the E36 and how it compares to the E46 M3 which I drove recently.

E36 M3:
This is a great car. Very fast pulls well through all gears. Handles very well. It has a seat of the pants feel you don't get in the E46. This car NEEDS an SSK! I think the throws are longer than my 325ci! At least it felt that way.

E46 M3:
This is an amazing car! It is so competent, it does everything well. It is heavy but the extra power (333hp) and great steering compensates well. I could drive this car faster around a track than the E36 though it would feel slower. You don't have the seat of the pants feel that you do in the E36, this takes away some of the fun factor. In Sport mode this car is a monster pulling almost too hard for the street through all 6 gears and the entire rev band.

Conclusion:
Is one better than the other? No, they are both great cars worthy of the "///M" badge. They are different animals though.
In the hands of an expert driver I'd love to see a race between these two just to see who would win...I don't think I could bet on either.

AF
08-27-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

Conclusion:
Is one better than the other? No,


what do you mean 'no' ?

The E46 M3 is far superior to the E36 M3 in everyway except one and that's price . . .

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-27-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Alan F



what do you mean 'no' ?

The E46 M3 is far superior to the E36 M3 in everyway except one and that's price . . .

And perceived fun levels. It's still an E46 at heart, and we all know that the E46 handles better at the cost of fun.

TD
08-27-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
Ok,
As many of you have seen from the "Lookie" post I went and test drove an 1999 E36 M3 today. I am seriously considering purchasing the car. Some of you have asked my (dyed in the wool E46 fan) my opinion of the E36 and how it compares to the E46 M3 which I drove recently.

E36 M3:
This is a great car. Very fast pulls well through all gears. Handles very well. It has a seat of the pants feel you don't get in the E46. This car NEEDS an SSK! I think the throws are longer than my 325ci! At least it felt that way.

E46 M3:
This is an amazing car! It is so competent, it does everything well. It is heavy but the extra power (333hp) and great steering compensates well. I could drive this car faster around a track than the E36 though it would feel slower. You don't have the seat of the pants feel that you do in the E36, this takes away some of the fun factor. In Sport mode this car is a monster pulling almost too hard for the street through all 6 gears and the entire rev band.

Conclusion:
Is one better than the other? No, they are both great cars worthy of the "///M" badge. They are different animals though.
In the hands of an expert driver I'd love to see a race between these two just to see who would win...I don't think I could bet on either.

Thanks for the write-up haus, even if it was a bit shorter than I expected. :D

What's your personal verdict?

nate
08-27-2002, 06:30 PM
I'll pretty much agree with what you say, especially this "I could drive this car faster around a track than the E36 though it would feel slower." You have to be going REALLY fast in the E46 for it to seem like you are breaking a sweat :D

I'd get the E46 M3 SMG :D

And, I'd bet on it in a race :p

in_d_haus
08-27-2002, 06:34 PM
Additional:

I fired up the E36 M3 at the dealer and loved the exhaust note. From the minute I started off I knew this was a fun car! The power is right there and the car pulls well in all gears through most of the revs. This car inspires confidence, I had it in a 4 wheel drift going around a curve onto the freeway within minutes of starting the car (the dealer let me drive the car alone)

The car accellerates very quickly and has a very well balanced feel to it. You can feel the weight in the E46 M3 but I think they compensate for it well. I entered the freeway and only then realized I was going 95! Yipes! onto the binders which are very capable of hauling the car down to legal speeds quickly.

On my E46 M3 test drive I never got over 70 due to traffic and construction in the area...but I got there in the blink of an eye.

The E36 handles the twisties very well and loves to corner (I want to get this car on the track!)

The E36 M3 deserves all that is said about it, it s a wonderful car. It is a purists car more than the E46 which is no less capable but has less feel as I have stated.

Cars are subjective, a friend of mine and E30 M3 purist told me all other cars are a piece of crap in comparison. I'd say the E36 M3 is to the E46 M3 what the E30 M3 is to the E36. Different but the newer one is a bit better and more refined.

I'm 80% sure I'll be driving a 1999 E36 M3 tomorrow..... If ya wanted to know :D

in_d_haus
08-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

I'd get the E46 M3 SMG :D

And, I'd bet on it in a race :p I'd absolutely get the E46 M3 IF the economic outlook at Boeing and in my area were not in the grim shape it is. The E36 will be a very fun I can play with till better times. The E36 will run me about the same (actually a bit less) as my 325 currently does and my insurance isn't even moving up a whole lot.

When things are better I can move this car, it's in immaculate condition and loaded, for a better price than the 325 and get either an E46 M3 or whatever is new at that time.

My 325 is a great car but not for the heavy tracking I've been doing to it. it just can't compete and I'm afraid it will break from the stress....I've got a big competitive streak!

Let me at those Porsches!

nate
08-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
I'd absolutely get the E46 M3 IF the economic outlook at Boeing and in my area were not in the grim shape it is. The E36 will be a very fun I can play with till better times. The E36 will run me about the same (actually a bit less) as my 325 currently does and my insurance isn't even moving up a whole lot.

When things are better I can move this car, it's in immaculate condition and loaded, for a better price than the 325 and get either an E46 M3 or whatever is new at that time.

My 325 is a great car but not for the heavy tracking I've been doing to it. it just can't compete and I'm afraid it will break from the stress....I've got a big competitive streak!

Let me at those Porsches!

Your 325 is stressed :yikes:

I'm not sure the E36 is as up to heavy tracking as well. Watch those subframe mounts! The fronts can tear with heavy track use, and the rear fails too! Get the X-Brace though.

Maybe you could get an M3/4 and sell the E34 :dunno: Or sell both cars and get the E46 M3.

BTW, what kind of brake pads are you using on the 325? My full maintainance is out in 40 miles and I have to start paying. Looking for low fade, but streetable.

Pinecone
08-27-2002, 06:50 PM
Just for the record, Sport mode does not change th epower ouput. It only changes the throttle opening to pedal position mapping. WOT is WOT and the same power.

Having a 2000 M Roadster (same engine as the E36 M3) and an E46 M3, I understand what you are saying. The S52 engine, with its gering FEELS very strong. Much more sensation of grunt.

BUT the E46 is so much quicker, it is unbelieveable. This summer I did the NCC Highway Safety School. In the afternoon we did a slalom after the turn onto the back straight, then acclerated up the straight to a lane change exercise into the corner at the end of the straight. The slalom used offset cones and was VERY slow, 1st gear slow and used up a good bit of the straight. Exiting that slalom and acclerating WOT down the striaght I would hit 70 or so before easy braking for the turn at the end.The end of the day I rode with an instructor in an E36 M3, full course, no slalom, on R compound tires. At the end of the same straight he was doing about 80. But he entered the straight at speed, and he also was braking much harder at the end.

ither way, you won't go wrong. Buy the E36 drive it, when times get better, buy the E46 and turn the E36 into a track car. :bigpimp:

in_d_haus
08-27-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci


Your 325 is stressed :yikes:

I'm not sure the E36 is as up to heavy tracking as well. Watch those subframe mounts! The fronts can tear with heavy track use, and the rear fails too! Get the X-Brace though.

Maybe you could get an M3/4 and sell the E34 :dunno: Or sell both cars and get the E46 M3.

BTW, what kind of brake pads are you using on the 325? My full maintainance is out in 40 miles and I have to start paying. Looking for low fade, but streetable.

Well, maybe it isn't stressed. it does well but I'm tired of getting passed by M3s on the straight, I can hang with most anything on the corners.

I just use the stock pads for now. I was going to look to aftermarket pads next track season. They do have a Cosmos black '99 M3/4 down at the dealer as well. I'm a coupe guy though.

I'll sleep on it and see in the AM if I have a new car or dump $$ into my E46.

They DID just take in an '01 E46 M3 (Alpine white) in trade at my dealer but it's not out yet. They guessed high 40s for the car

AF
08-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Alan F



what do you mean 'no' ?

The E46 M3 is far superior to the E36 M3 in everyway except one and that's price . . .

Let me elobarate a little bit since my post sounds too dicky . . .
I've driven the E36 M3 many times and it truly is an incredible car and by far has THE BEST steering of any BMW I've ever driven. The power is excellent and the torque seems to always be there.

No doubt it is a VERY fun car . . . if you get it, you will definitely enjoy it.

I didn't want you to get me wrong by my previous post though I still think the E46 is superior which doesn't take anything away from the E36.

It's just like the E46 m3 is superior to my 330Ci, it doesn't take anything away from my car, it's just the E46 M3 is THAT much better . . .

nate
08-27-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus


Well, maybe it isn't stressed. it does well but I'm tired of getting passed by M3s on the straight, I can hang with most anything on the corners.


LOL! I know what you are talking about.

Last time I went to the track, I was in a 330Cic (yes, cabrio) and was riding the M3s in the turns, but got left behind BADLY in the straights. I could barely pass them in the straights, they had to brake for me to pass.

In my car, the only E36 that I have come up against was a fully track preped M3 (cage, coils, R-comps) She blew me away badly everwhere, not a suprise, especially since she was an instructor :p

in_d_haus
08-27-2002, 07:22 PM
The cool thing was that my salesman went in the back and came out with a brand new 1999 E36 M3 sales brochure and gave it to me...old stock.

nate
08-27-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
The cool thing was that my salesman went in the back and came out with a brand new 1999 E36 M3 sales brochure and gave it to me...old stock.

Cool!

Are you going to test drive that E46 too? Try it out tomorrow and see if you can go more than 70 this time :p

Ever driven an E36 M3 on the track?

in_d_haus
08-27-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Ever driven an E36 M3 on the track? this is the first time I've driven an E36 M3. I've ridden with some instructors on the track in theirs

nate
08-27-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

I just use the stock pads for now. I was going to look to aftermarket pads next track season. They do have a Cosmos black '99 M3/4 down at the dealer as well. I'm a coupe guy

Don't your stock pads fade a lot?

Mine do? Though the track is fairly small. 1.8 miles and a short straight. Maybe because the 328 (SW/intake) is a bit faster on the same stopping power :dunno:

in_d_haus
08-27-2002, 08:28 PM
Ya they fade, I have to adjust stopping distance in later runs.

Dan
08-28-2002, 03:55 AM
I really like driving the E36 M3 - it feels hard-wired to my brain, and you really can feel every pebble on the road. The gearbox and clutch are perfectly matched to that sweet engine, and the car just feels right. Surprisingly, it does not feel overly fast to me - acceleration is good, but not neck-snapping. Perhaps this is because I have driven an M roadster, which does seem to have better acceleration. Handling is telepathic, brakes are incredible. A truly superb car.

Jetfire
08-28-2002, 04:25 AM
Good review. I figured it would be longer too, but you summed it up nicely. :)

The only thing I would like on my '99 M3 is more power. Then again, I spend lots of time with LS1 guys. I agree with your assessment that the E36 M has superior road feel and driver intuition. The E46 M3 is a beast of a machine, but I was turned away by a few things. Price is one of them - a well equipped M3 coupe will run well past $52k after sales tax, luxury tax, and gas guzzler tax. Another thing is the isolation of the E46 platform. The M3 goes a long way towards fixing this, but it's still less connected than the E36. That's fine - I realize that it's intended to be a more luxurious ride, and I'm sure that 325 and 330 buyers and non-enthusiast M3 buyers appreciate it. I'm willing to bet that enthusiast M3 owners wouldn't mind a little less quiet and a little more feedback.

Good luck with your decision!

TD
08-28-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Jetfire
Good review. I figured it would be longer too, but you summed it up nicely. :)

The only thing I would like on my '99 M3 is more power. Then again, I spend lots of time with LS1 guys. I agree with your assessment that the E36 M has superior road feel and driver intuition. The E46 M3 is a beast of a machine, but I was turned away by a few things. Price is one of them - a well equipped M3 coupe will run well past $52k after sales tax, luxury tax, and gas guzzler tax. Another thing is the isolation of the E46 platform. The M3 goes a long way towards fixing this, but it's still less connected than the E36. That's fine - I realize that it's intended to be a more luxurious ride, and I'm sure that 325 and 330 buyers and non-enthusiast M3 buyers appreciate it. I'm willing to bet that enthusiast M3 owners wouldn't mind a little less quiet and a little more feedback.

Good luck with your decision!

I have not bothered to take the time to test drive an E46 M3 yet (as I'm not in the market for one, it has been low on my list of priorities). But even I am surprised by the posts from you guys who have driven them claiming that they are relatively isolated too. From all I've read, I inferred that this was not the case.

Huh!?

Ben Chou
08-28-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by TD


I have not bothered to take the time to test drive an E46 M3 yet (as I'm not in the market for one, it has been low on my list of priorities). But even I am surprised by the posts from you guys who have driven them claiming that they are relatively isolated too. From all I've read, I inferred that this was not the case.

Huh!?

I have driven both an E36 and E46 M3. The E36 is just more raw, less refined than the E46. As most have said the E46 platform is more of an isolating platform than the E36. Hence, the E36 feels more connected and less isolated.

Now, the E46 has an amazing engine, the power and sounds that thing makes it awesome. This as well as the feel of the car takes a lot of the soft edge of the E46 platform, but it still sits on an E46 platform. Like the E36 was stated to be too luxurious and isolated compared to the E30, I think the same thing is happening here. The E46 M3 is an amazing machine. Interior wise it is the same as anyother non-M E46. But you start the car and drive it and you will know it is an M car. The handling, steering is so much better than Non-m cars and the engine just howls. TD, make it a point to drive the E46 M3, I don't think you will be disappointed. I would be really curious to see what you think.

TD
08-28-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Ben Chou


I have driven both an E36 and E46 M3. The E36 is just more raw, less refined than the E46. As most have said the E46 platform is more of an isolating platform than the E36. Hence, the E36 feels more connected and less isolated.

Now, the E46 has an amazing engine, the power and sounds that thing makes it awesome. This as well as the feel of the car takes a lot of the soft edge of the E46 platform, but it still sits on an E46 platform. Like the E36 was stated to be too luxurious and isolated compared to the E30, I think the same thing is happening here. The E46 M3 is an amazing machine. Interior wise it is the same as anyother non-M E46. But you start the car and drive it and you will know it is an M car. The handling, steering is so much better than Non-m cars and the engine just howls. TD, make it a point to drive the E46 M3, I don't think you will be disappointed. I would be really curious to see what you think.

Then, at least from these opinions, I have the right car.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a LESS isolated car than the E36 M3 (ie E30 M3) but I know I found my E46 330i w/SP to be WAY too isolated for my taste.

I will drive one when I get a chance.

Ben Chou
08-28-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by TD


Then, at least from these opinions, I have the right car.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a LESS isolated car than the E36 M3 (ie E30 M3) but I know I found my E46 330i w/SP to be WAY too isolated for my taste.

I will drive one when I get a chance.

Performance wise though the E46 wins hands down. I guess the main question for you is whether or not the slight degradation in feel warrants the extra performance in your mind.

No question that the E36 M3 is more of a drivers car than the E46 330i that you had, but then that isn't quite fair of a comparison in my opinion.

TD
08-28-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Ben Chou

No question that the E36 M3 is more of a drivers car than the E46 330i that you had, but then that isn't quite fair of a comparison in my opinion.

Again, since they are (were) roughly the same price (used E36 M3 vs new 330i - back in mid '00), I think it is a fair comparison.

And, FOR ME, I value feel more than I'd value any performance increase over what the E36 M3 already has.

blackdawg
08-28-2002, 09:02 AM
i love them because they bring out the passion in most of us, but also a great deal of knowledge.

right now i'm following the 993 versus 996 debate as well as the e36m3 versus e46m3 debate.

in both cases, there's not a question about which car is faster on the same track (n'ring, for example), but for most of us, it's clear that the new chassis designs, while probably torsionally stiffer and thus safer, are more likely to weed out the tactile feedback.

i have driven all four cars now, a good bit. there's no denying the immediacy of the e46m3 power. it sings. the engine is a pure jewel. it's the rest which turns me off. there is too much luxury in the equation (read: WEIGHT), and it still has single piston caliper'd brakes (let's hope i'm wrong here: surely they are 4pistons, right?), and more insulting is that we don't get the floating rotors. does this matter? take the car to the track, and you tell me. of course it does. but i would, economically as well as preferentially choose the e36m3 because it lacks DBW throttle, is lighter, and has some more road feel. stupid? maybe. anarchronistic? sure.

but look, i also bought the old fashioned, aircooled 911, which is slower in almost every parameter. but the 996....while the engine (same theme here) is a jewel is a far better thing in most areas except reliability (watercooled engines tend to die because of lean conditions.....), still went with the "old" car. more feel, more noise. bigger grin.

nate
08-28-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
Ya they fade, I have to adjust stopping distance in later runs.

I don't think my 16" wheels provide much cooling room. Tight clearance and little air flow :(

in_d_haus
08-28-2002, 09:31 AM
At our track events PF95s used to be THE pad...now that the 97 have replaced them most people are moving to Hawk though I've heard the are harder on rotors

nate
08-28-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
At our track events PF95s used to be THE pad...now that the 97 have replaced them most people are moving to Hawk though I've heard the are harder on rotors

Are you talking about the HP+?

Something wrong with the PF97s?

in_d_haus
08-28-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci


Are you talking about the HP+?

Something wrong with the PF97s?

I've not ran the 95s or the 97s but I know they don't like them as much.

blackdawg
08-28-2002, 09:37 AM
stock brakes are fine as long as they're well vented, with good track pads, no?

OEM bmw brakes stop the cars decently, but they are overmatched at the track. which is what i don't understand about M cars. M cars, while one could argue the demographic uses more of the car than the rest, should have racing brakes. they've got racing motors. but they don't have racing weights.

so, we spend a lot for a $52k 3 series, and then we still need to spend $2000 to upgrade the brakes?????? (that's just the front rotors, boys) that's a minor point and the original one was about roadfeel, but this is still a practical consideration. again why i would choose the more inexpensive option and outfit the car as i see fit if i'm going to have to do so anyway.

nate
08-28-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by blackdawg
stock brakes are fine as long as they're well vented, with good track pads, no?

OEM bmw brakes stop the cars decently, but they are overmatched at the track. which is what i don't understand about M cars. M cars, while one could argue the demographic uses more of the car than the rest, should have racing brakes. they've got racing motors. but they don't have racing weights.

so, we spend a lot for a $52k 3 series, and then we still need to spend $2000 to upgrade the brakes?????? (that's just the front rotors, boys) that's a minor point and the original one was about roadfeel, but this is still a practical consideration. again why i would choose the more inexpensive option and outfit the car as i see fit if i'm going to have to do so anyway.

E46 has front cooling ducts, but I think the rim clearance is too tight for effective airflow. Actually, I think the brake vents on the E46 M3 are blocked out by the front air dam with a peice of plastic. It can be removed, I think. M5 has no brake ventilation either. Not to mention 13.8/13.6" discs tiny calipers and rubber band lines.

blackdawg
08-28-2002, 09:47 AM
i wasn't going there, man.

4000 pounds.

straightline missile.

tire eater and tire shredder.

brake heater and brake beater.

:-)

not a lot of fun for 2 sessions a day for 2 or 3 days during a track weekend, i would imagine, unless you have stainless lines, vents put in for the brakes, slotted or drilled rotors, track pads, plus two sets of track rubber.

DougDogs
08-28-2002, 09:55 AM
my dealer (gearhart bmw) has a 98 4-door 5-speed M3. maybe i'll have to check it out this weekend, and see what this car is all about. they have 2 '99 coupes but both are automatics

the bahama blue, with ground effects looks preety cool:thumbup:

TD
08-28-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by DougDogs
my dealer (gearhart bmw) has a 98 4-door 5-speed M3. maybe i'll have to check it out this weekend, and see what this car is all about. they have 2 '99 coupes but both are automatics

the bahama blue, with ground effects looks preety cool:thumbup:

For the record, that blue is Estoril.

nate
08-28-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by blackdawg
i wasn't going there, man.

4000 pounds.

straightline missile.

tire eater and tire shredder.

brake heater and brake beater.

:-)

not a lot of fun for 2 sessions a day for 2 or 3 days during a track weekend, i would imagine, unless you have stainless lines, vents put in for the brakes, slotted or drilled rotors, track pads, plus two sets of track rubber.

Don't forget clutch eater :p

We were going to do two days, two drivers in an M5 in June, but the clutch wasn't even up to 13K miles on that car. I was worried about how this car would take 8 sessions a day for two days :eek:

Went out in my first session, I wasn't comfortable with the car at all. I have done a few auto-x in it, does great. You have to get used to the size and power.

It's 330 replacement did great, despite loaded down to 4000lbs. Boiled the stock brake fluid badly, but once replaced, it was manageable :angel:

DougDogs
08-28-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by TD


For the record, that blue is not "bahama".

I just repeated what gearhart's web site car discription said, I don't know the colors that well.

does look nice though....

edit: dealers never make mistakes, right:D

TD
08-28-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by DougDogs


I just pulled that color name out of my ass as I thought it sounded good.

does look nice though....

edit: dealers never make mistakes, right:D

Actually, it was my first choice color. But when you find a low mileage example, you can't be that picky.

DougDogs
08-28-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by TD


Actually, it was my first choice color. But when you find a low mileage example, you can't be a pickle.

oh yeah, quotes will never be the same again:lmao: :lmao:

TD
08-28-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by DougDogs


oh yeah, my sex life will never be the same again:lmao: :lmao:

Down boy!

CD-55
08-28-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by TD


Down boy! I keep getting a stiffy whenever I see a nice looking E46 pig :lmao:

cenotaph
08-28-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by blackdawg
and more insulting is that we don't get the floating rotors.

What I've heared from reliable sources is that the "floating" rotors on Euro M3s are closer to two-piece rotors. It seems that BMW welds the two pieces together somehow and therefore prevents the braking surface from "floating". :dunno: This design does help control heat transfer from the rotor to the rest of the suspension, but lacks the resistance to warping from sudden, hard braking inputs.

Mr. The Edge
08-28-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by blackdawg


OEM bmw brakes stop the cars decently, but they are overmatched at the track. which is what i don't understand about M cars. M cars, while one could argue the demographic uses more of the car than the rest, should have racing brakes. they've got racing motors. but they don't have racing weights.

so, we spend a lot for a $52k 3 series, and then we still need to spend $2000 to upgrade the brakes?????? (that's just the front rotors, boys) that's a minor point and the original one was about roadfeel, but this is still a practical consideration. again why i would choose the more inexpensive option and outfit the car as i see fit if i'm going to have to do so anyway.

Blame BMWNA, not BMW. Euro cars get cross-drilled floating rotors, we don't.

You can upgrade to the Euro-spec for around $700 total for all 4 corners.

blackdawg
08-28-2002, 08:45 PM
$700 is dirt cheap.

more important question: are the brakes single piston modulated or are they multipiston brake calipers?

am curious.

'not thrilled with 4/5 e46m3 owners needing new rotors after the most recent track weekend. not newbies, either.

Mr. The Edge
08-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by blackdawg
$700 is dirt cheap.

more important question: are the brakes single piston modulated or are they multipiston brake calipers?

am curious.

'not thrilled with 4/5 e46m3 owners needing new rotors after the most recent track weekend. not newbies, either.

not positive, but pretty sure they're single piston worldwide. Yes, even the UK owners that track do complain about the brakes being the only weak link at the track.

MayerBrand
11-05-2013, 02:28 PM
what do you mean 'no' ?

The E46 M3 is far superior to the E36 M3 in everyway except one and that's price . . .

WRONG SOO WRONG. reviving this thread and hoping someone will notice and not make a purchase folly as I did w/ my 00 E46


I own a E36 96 318i and all of the vacuum lines are still in tact , most of the OEM seals went around 200k (bought at 190k lucky me) except the head gasket - Thats been overheated several times by me - This car has been rolled and cartwheeled in numerous road crazy accidents

I replaced 1 or 2 control arms after replaced the 4 steel wheels that were squared off from landing impact and this car still drives. 240k miles
------------------------------------------------E36 durability overall 8.5--------------------

the E46 with 180k miles on it
everything needs replaced - i could use my pinky finger to crack any ccv hose I touched - the vaccuum lines fall to pieces.

There is a huge change in quality of materials used in o-rings (aka ****buna) and composition of manufacturers countries and the # of - in relation to any vehicle 00 and up -

BUY OLD. E 46 durability overall - Junk. interior junk.