PDA

View Full Version : heel-toe and shifting questions

eugeneDC/TX
08-27-2002, 06:36 PM
argh, what short of driving schools can i do to improve my heel-toeing and rev matching and double clutching techniques? jebus i've had my car over a year and i still am not good at these things, granted i've not given them much focused attention, but i think i should at least make the attempt to drive a little better. although i cant imagine double clutching, man my left leg dont move that fast. (=

nate
08-27-2002, 06:39 PM
practice...practice...practice...practice...

Also, you don't NEED to double clutch to rev-match. You can blip with the clutch in, but you have to give it more...

eugeneDC/TX
08-27-2002, 06:42 PM
yeah i know. )=

but these days i hardly drive (walk to classes)...

nate, where are good long stretches of empty road or parking lot i can practice at? i am not trying to practice this downtown as i feel like even driving 2mph on the streets downtown hurts my suspension. )= so bad. and now that we dont get the olympics i wonder if they will slow down all the work, cuz other than public inconvenience, what's the rush? argh

eugeneDC/TX
08-27-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
practice...practice...practice...practice...

Also, you don't NEED to double clutch to rev-match. You can blip with the clutch in, but you have to give it more...

yeah, i know all the things i listed are kind of separate skills in the same family. i'd just like to be able to do all this stuff, even if at a basic level.

edit: glad to see you edited your post. man i scrolled forever to read every "practice.." (=

nate
08-27-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
yeah i know. )=

but these days i hardly drive (walk to classes)...

nate, where are good long stretches of empty road or parking lot i can practice at? i am not trying to practice this downtown as i feel like even driving 2mph on the streets downtown hurts my suspension. )= so bad. and now that we dont get the olympics i wonder if they will slow down all the work, cuz other than public inconvenience, what's the rush? argh

You live near the convention center, right?

Those streets are OK, you can practice there. For empty parking lots, you'll have to try a mall parking lot or something.

Houston is just SO congested now, you just will have to practice on every shift...

in_d_haus
08-27-2002, 07:06 PM
The DBW throttle does take a bit more to get good at rev matching too.

eugeneDC/TX
08-27-2002, 07:07 PM

You live near the convention center, right?

Those streets are OK, you can practice there. For empty parking lots, you'll have to try a mall parking lot or something.

Houston is just SO congested now, you just will have to practice on every shift...

yeah. things are bad. i try not to need to go out between 330 - 7. oh man. maybe i'll tool around in minute maid park's lot if i can get in. man, once the rockets move here next year traffic will be so much worse on game nights. thankfully i can walk to the arena (2-3 blocks). too bad i cant afford season tickets.

nate
08-27-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
The DBW throttle does take a bit more to get good at rev matching too.

I actually really like rev-matching the DBW.

Very light throttle effort and responsive.

in_d_haus
08-27-2002, 07:14 PM
Took me a bit to really get good, I'd rev too much or too little. In the E36 today it was almost instinctive.

Funny story, I got in my E46 and killed the car when I started out after driving the E36...

nate
08-27-2002, 07:15 PM

yeah. things are bad. i try not to need to go out between 330 - 7. oh man. maybe i'll tool around in minute maid park's lot if i can get in. man, once the rockets move here next year traffic will be so much worse on game nights. thankfully i can walk to the arena (2-3 blocks). too bad i cant afford season tickets.

Yup, basketball tickets are INSANE.

Lower level tickets were $107.50 last season, used to be less than $30....

eugeneDC/TX
08-27-2002, 07:22 PM

Yup, basketball tickets are INSANE.

Lower level tickets were $107.50 last season, used to be less than $30....

yeah. when i was in DC, went to some wizards games. jebus.... and you know new arena, stevie franchise's new contract extension, yao.... these are all things that the fan will have to pay. i'd bet ticket prices go up a whole lot next season in the new arena. ha, maybe i'll go this year to the compaq center. then again, maybe not. yao will suck this year. okay lemme quit hijacking my own thread.

i will practice my shifting. i've gotten really lazy with it the past few weeks. )=

nate
08-27-2002, 07:25 PM

yeah. when i was in DC, went to some wizards games. jebus.... and you know new arena, stevie franchise's new contract extension, yao.... these are all things that the fan will have to pay. i'd bet ticket prices go up a whole lot next season in the new arena. ha, maybe i'll go this year to the compaq center. then again, maybe not. yao will suck this year. okay lemme quit hijacking my own thread.

i will practice my shifting. i've gotten really lazy with it the past few weeks. )=

The Compaq center is a GREAT place to watch basketball. VERY intimate, you are close to everything. Lower level seats are great. The best games are the playoffs, great fun in that arena...

eugeneDC/TX
08-27-2002, 07:51 PM

The Compaq center is a GREAT place to watch basketball. VERY intimate, you are close to everything. Lower level seats are great. The best games are the playoffs, great fun in that arena...

maybe i'll check a game or two out. haha, i could probably only afford "nose bleed" but hey franchise is one of my favorite players