PDA

View Full Version : Some pictures abnd a quick CLK500 review

AF
08-27-2002, 08:04 PM
I told you guys my father just picked up this car and I got a chance to drive it yesterday and again today.

First of all, this car really looks good in person, the only part I am not crazy about is the back of the car looks a little hunched-over looking.

The 8 cylinder makes a nice gurgle at idle, the interior is beautiful and very comfortable though my left knee seems to keep hitting the seat adjustment buttons which are placed kind of low on the door.

It handles very flatly but it is way too new to take through the paces.

Also, the SOS system is pretty wild, we called it today from the car and they tell you exactly where you are down the the intersection but the weird thing is, can they listen to your conversations whenever they want ? ?

makes you feel like big brother REALLY is watching . . .
Anyway, here's some pictures . . .

http://members.roadfly.com/alan927/clk5001.jpg

http://members.roadfly.com/alan927/clk5002.jpg

http://members.roadfly.com/alan927/clk500inside.jpg

johnlew
08-27-2002, 08:32 PM
Nice looking car, beautiful interior. What's the old car in the garage, looks like a Rolls or Bentley.

AF
08-27-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
Nice looking car, beautiful interior. What's the old car in the garage, looks like a Rolls or Bentley.

Good eye John, I didn't think anyone would be able to pick-up on it or I would've photoshopped it out . . .

it's a 53 Rolls Silver Dawn . . . if your familiar with RR's, it's a left hand drive and it's the first year of RR's with an Automatic . . .

nate
08-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Silver Dawn is a gorgeous car and I love that color on them :bigpimp:

nate
08-27-2002, 08:40 PM
Is the CLK as tall as it looks in these pictures?

AF
08-27-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Is the CLK as tall as it looks in these pictures?

not really . . . I didn't even realize it looked tall until you said something but your right . . . I guess it's just the angle of the pic

nate
08-27-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Alan F

not really . . . I didn't even realize it looked tall until you said something but your right . . . I guess it's just the angle of the pic

Get some pics with your car next to it :thumbup:

johnlew
08-27-2002, 08:45 PM

it's a 53 Rolls Silver Dawn . . . if your familiar with RR's, it's a left hand drive and it's the first year of RR's with an Automatic . . .

I'm not overly familiar with them, but I'm sure it's beautiful. You know, that car and I are the same age. Wonder which is in better shape?

AF
08-27-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by johnlew

I'm not overly familiar with them, but I'm sure it's beautiful. You know, that car and I are the same age. Wonder which is in better shape?

It might be a good competition . . .It's in excellent shape, I could confidently say it's a 9 1/2 out of 10 . . . and you ? ?

johnlew
08-27-2002, 08:51 PM

It might be a good competition . . .It's in excellent shape, I could confidently say it's a 9 1/2 out of 10 . . . and you ? ?

Well, it depends who you talk to. Sometimes ;) my wife says a ten.

AF
08-27-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

Get some pics with your car next to it :thumbup:

lol . . . you know it's funny you said that, I was going to tell you I'd take a picture of it next to my car but then thought about it and figured since they're just coming out, you'll probably see one in person pretty soon . . .

Meanwhile I have to take the Odyssey in for service so I won't have my car tomorrow to bring to the office (My father & I work together)

He's taking off to Florida on thursday and I'm not sure but I might take the CLK for the weekend . . . if so, then I'll take some pics next to my car . . .

hts
08-27-2002, 08:54 PM
Well, the RR doesn't suck (and neither does the CLK--congrats to your dad). Funny, that even in an expensive ride like the CLK, we (you, at least) can still find plenty to b*tch about (my knee hits the driver's seat adjustment, the folks at SOS are listening to us, yadda, yadda, yadda...).

;-)

BTW, I sure wish my ol' man came from the same wrong side of the tracks as your old man!

:D

MaxxM3
08-27-2002, 08:58 PM
nice ride
I agree with you about the rear being strange, but its still nice.
Enjoy!

johnlew
08-27-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by MaxxM3
nice ride
I agree with you about the rear being strange, but its still nice.
Enjoy!

Sometimes you can get a nice ride out of a strange rear.

LIL RAJA
08-27-2002, 10:07 PM
I told you guys my father just picked up this car and I got a chance to drive it yesterday and again today.

First of all, this car really looks good in person, the only part I am not crazy about is the back of the car looks a little hunched-over looking.

The 8 cylinder makes a nice gurgle at idle, the interior is beautiful and very comfortable though my left knee seems to keep hitting the seat adjustment buttons which are placed kind of low on the door.

It handles very flatly but it is way too new to take through the paces.

Also, the SOS system is pretty wild, we called it today from the car and they tell you exactly where you are down the the intersection but the weird thing is, can they listen to your conversations whenever they want ? ?

makes you feel like big brother REALLY is watching . . .
Anyway, here's some pictures . . .

I test drove a clk500 last week and I must say I was very pleased. The car is pretty nice looking. I know quiet a few people say it looks feminine, but to me it looked classy. the drive is nice and quiet. I was surprise how the engine has good amount of torque. I did not push the car very much as it had only 37 miles on the car.
I think it's definately a keeper and wouldn't mind getting a clk55 oneday. :-)

LIL Raja

Dan
08-28-2002, 04:46 AM
Alan, you dad's CLK looks beautiful. With the 5.0 liter, it should be a lot of fun to drive. I'm scheduled to test drive one next month, and I'll report my impressions afterwards.

AF
08-28-2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by hts
Well, the RR doesn't suck (and neither does the CLK--congrats to your dad). Funny, that even in an expensive ride like the CLK, we (you, at least) can still find plenty to b*tch about (my knee hits the driver's seat adjustment, the folks at SOS are listening to us, yadda, yadda, yadda...).

;-)

:D

yeah . . .isn't it a b*tch ?! . . . when are they gonna make the perfect car . . .. I tell them exactly what I want but they never fully listen ;)

Mathew
08-28-2002, 11:50 AM
Alan, again congrats to your dad (tell him to swing by my place in Fl so i can test drive it;) waiting list down here :( ). Looks great, although i dont like the back much, like you.

As for the SOS, thing, you have to dial up the center and/or the center has to dial up you if youre going to have a conversation. So, they probably cant listen to you, unless you know about it.

Or can they:confused: .........

junglee
08-28-2002, 11:55 AM
Are those AMG Rims??
Very nice car..especially the colour

AF
08-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by junglee
Are those AMG Rims??
Very nice car..especially the colour

yes they are the AMG wheels, they are standard on this model . . . I thought that color was very nice as well . . . the interior is really stunning in person though I feel like I have to take my shoes off or I'm going to get it dirty . . .

thanks for the compliments . . . wait a sec, it's not my car, let me change that, my father thanks you :)

AF
08-28-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by ///Mathew
Alan, again congrats to your dad (tell him to swing by my place in Fl so i can test drive it;) waiting list down here :( ). Looks great, although i dont like the back much, like you.

As for the SOS, thing, you have to dial up the center and/or the center has to dial up you if youre going to have a conversation. So, they probably cant listen to you, unless you know about it.

Or can they:confused: .........

Your gonna have to come to NY Mathew if you want to drive it, he's gonna keep it here and bring his XK8 (I think that's the right designation) to Florida

Mathew
08-28-2002, 03:54 PM

Your gonna have to come to NY Mathew if you want to drive it, he's gonna keep it here and bring his XK8 (I think that's the right designation) to Florida

Ahh, so he's keeping it up there. Im sure you guys will enjoy it.

XK8 is the jaguar convertible, XJ8 is the jaguar sedan. I think you mentioned that it was the convertible.

ed325i
08-28-2002, 04:07 PM
How well does Mercede's Speedshift work? Does it hold the gear through turns? Can you engine break down hills? How much control does the driver have?

Ed

AF
08-28-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Ed328Ci
How well does Mercede's Speedshift work? Does it hold the gear through turns? Can you engine break down hills? How much control does the driver have?

Ed

Not really sure yet . . . when it breaks in (which will probably take forever) I will put it through the paces and find out.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-28-2002, 04:55 PM
MB speedshift works this way:
You set a top gear that the car can shift into.

If you put it in 2, it will shift between one and 2. Putting it into 3 will allow it to shift between 1, 2 and 3.

I like this system a lot better, personally. It is an automatic, after all... Clicking up and down has always seemed really annoying to me.

You ARE able to engine brake and it will hold the gear through a turn unless you give it a reason to downshift.

The next question might be:

Does Speedshift work ANY differently from the old MB automatics?

Answer: NO. In the old ones, you still set the top gear it would shift into and it would shift within the specified limit. Speedshift, or automatic, you will hit the rev limiter. The MB trannies do NOT upshift for you when you exceed the specified parameters.

hth.

Edit: BTW, I prefer the OLD system. I like having a specific place to shift into to select a given gear. It's much nicer and it allowed to to sleect a gear without all that annoying clicking.

AF
08-28-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

Edit: BTW, I prefer the OLD system. I like having a specific place to shift into to select a given gear. It's much nicer and it allowed to to sleect a gear without all that annoying clicking.

I don't like the old way, the gear pattern is too screwed up and works like crapola