PDA

View Full Version : Starting down that slippery slope...

operknockity
08-28-2002, 01:22 AM
Just finished ordering a UUC Big Boy clutch stop, getting the windows tinted (38% all around) in the next couple of weeks, seriously thinking 'bout an M3 steering wheel and mildly thinking about bigger cross drilled rotors and s/s brake lines. :thumbup:

It's small potatoes compared to some of you, but you gotta start somewhere. :p

Now if I only knew where will this madness will lead? :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Edit: Oh yeah... a Rob Knob (sans cozy)

Stuka
08-28-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by operknockity
Just finished ordering a UUC Big Boy clutch stop, getting the windows tinted (38% all around) in the next couple of weeks, seriously thinking 'bout an M3 steering wheel and mildly thinking about bigger cross drilled rotors and s/s brake lines. :thumbup:

It's small potatoes compared to some of you, but you gotta start somewhere. :p

Now if I only knew where will this madness will lead? :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Edit: Oh yeah... a Rob Knob (sans cozy)

Man, save the $$ on the rotors and other stuff and use the $$ on CCA schools. And yes, I would even go as far as to say that you should not tint your window and use that $$ for school. Are you going in September? It's getting full...

You get free maintanence on your car, use it. For me, I know I can spend the $$ and get those trick drilled flaoting rotors, but hey, why spend $$ when the dealer will give you new pads and rotors for free?:thumbup:

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-28-2002, 11:31 AM
M3 wheel will be great for the desert drive! Btw, seriously think about ss lines for the drive too. Rotors can wait. :D

operknockity
08-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Stuka
Man, save the $$ on the rotors and other stuff and use the $$ on CCA schools. And yes, I would even go as far as to say that you should not tint your window and use that $$ for school.
That's why I'm just mildly interested in new rotors/pads/lines. The other stuff is more kinda comfort stuff because I spend so much time in the car as a daily commute, and the tinting will keep the heat down and protect the interior).

I expect that I'll be taking a school or doing some autoX before I make a descision on the anything that is really a pure performance mod.
Are you going in September? It's getting full...
Can't make it. My September is way too full, what with going to NY next week :banghead: and then the DV run :thumbup:.
You get free maintanence on your car, use it.
Did folks wait until their free maintenance ended before doing anything major that would ordinarily be covered as a maintenance item? (maybe a poll is in order here).

operknockity
08-28-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3 M3 wheel will be great for the desert drive! Btw, seriously think about ss lines for the drive too. Rotors can wait. :D
Do the local dealers generally have good stock on M3 wheels? Is there a mail-order or on-line place to get one that can ship it fast? Has HACK installed an M3 wheel?

I think that'll be about all I wanna do (and have time for) before the drive.

And as I say, the purely performance mods are gonna have to wait a bit.

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-28-2002, 12:00 PM
Hmm...try Nick Alexander. Last I heard, they sell for $350. Call Joe Chavez at 1-800-800-NICK(6425). Provide your CCA membership. They might have M3 wheels in stock. Here are the pns.

32 34 2 282 022 (black stitching)
32 34 2 282 020 (colour stitching)

Don't think HACK has installed a M3 wheel on his ride. If you need help, alpina.nut will be there. Good luck!

Do the local dealers generally have good stock on M3 wheels? Is there a mail-order or on-line place to get one that can ship it fast? Has HACK installed an M3 wheel?

I think that'll be about all I wanna do (and have time for) before the drive.

And as I say, the purely performance mods are gonna have to wait a bit.

operknockity
08-28-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3 Hmm...try Nick Alexander...

Don't think HACK has installed a M3 wheel on his ride. If you need help, alpina.nut will be there. Good luck!
Thanks for the hint on the dealer.

I thought HACK had installed one, not necessary on his ride, but on somebody's. Hav'ta send him a PM.

And I forgot to ask... When are you doing the s/s line install?

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-28-2002, 12:14 PM
I emailed HACK too about getting ATE fluid and lines too. HACK? Yoohoo?

I figure there are 4 weekends left to desert trip. I am mostly free on all. Would prefer before the weekend of 21/22 Sept. Not sure about HACK's schedule. And you're going on a NY trip?

Thanks for the hint on the dealer.

I thought HACK had installed one, not necessary on his ride, but on somebody's. Hav'ta send him a PM.

And I forgot to ask... When are you doing the s/s line install?

Dr. Phil
08-28-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Hmm...try Nick Alexander. Last I heard, they sell for $350. Call Joe Chavez at 1-800-800-NICK(6425). Provide your CCA membership. They might have M3 wheels in stock. Here are the pns.

32 34 2 282 022 (black stitching)
32 34 2 282 020 (colour stitching)

I think Cutter can do better than that on price;) Even shipped to the East coast:p

operknockity
08-28-2002, 12:46 PM
And you're going on a NY trip?

Yup. Leave bright and early :eek: on Monday the 2nd. Back very late :eek: :eek: the following Friday. Will need the entire weekend to recover :banghead: (though I could swing by and watch a HACK session if the timing isn't too bad).

operknockity
08-28-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
I think Cutter can do better than that on price

They'll one of the first dealers I call :thumbup: Unless someplace else is significantly cheaper, I'll give Cutter the order :thumbup:

The HACK
08-28-2002, 12:52 PM
I emailed HACK too about getting ATE fluid and lines too. HACK? Yoohoo?

I figure there are 4 weekends left to desert trip. I am mostly free on all. Would prefer before the weekend of 21/22 Sept. Not sure about HACK's schedule. And you're going on a NY trip?

2 liters will flush all the brakelines but not the clutch line. I guess you don't need to worry about that. I want to try flushing the system completely first and then add the fluids next...It'll save a liter or two. :dunno:

As far as the lines are concerned, try calling Bavauto or call BMP Design.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-28-2002, 12:53 PM
What's wrong with a Rob Knob cozy? :mad:

operknockity
08-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
What's wrong with a Rob Knob cozy? :mad:
Absolutely nothing! Just don't have someone that can make me one as good as yours :thumbup:

(If I take up crochet so I can make one for myself, will that mean a big hit on the Gay-o-Meter :bigpimp: )

Kaz
08-28-2002, 01:07 PM
I still wanna do 330 rotors, mostly for cosmetic reasons since the stock rotors look so puny behind the Alpinas. :cry:

But unless you're track/auto-xing regularly, I doubt SS lines all on their own is gonna make much of a difference compared to other stuff.

I personally dislike the M3 wheel, but am contemplating a clutch stop.

Raffi
08-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Operknockity, try Circle BMW or Hendrick BMW for the wheel - at least you won't pay taxes on it.

Operknockity and KAZ, why spend $20+ on a clutch stop when you can make your own for $1.50? Just get a bolt from Home Depot, a plastic furniture foot, drill a hold in it, slip the bolt through, and put some round furniture feet pads (velvety), screw the whole thing in place and you're ready to go.... Let me know if you need more info.

See you on the DV trip...

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-28-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
I still wanna do 330 rotors, mostly for cosmetic reasons since the stock rotors look so puny behind the Alpinas. :cry:

Kaz, check this about the 330 rotors.

http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=186956#post186956

NickACS will be selling his soon.

Galun
08-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Raffi
Operknockity, try Circle BMW or Hendrick BMW for the wheel - at least you won't pay taxes on it.

Operknockity and KAZ, why spend $20+ on a clutch stop when you can make your own for $1.50? Just get a bolt from Home Depot, a plastic furniture foot, drill a hold in it, slip the bolt through, and put some round furniture feet pads (velvety), screw the whole thing in place and you're ready to go.... Let me know if you need more info.

See you on the DV trip...

Can you elaborate more on this home made clutch stop please? Thanks!

Kaz
08-28-2002, 02:23 PM

Kaz, check this about the 330 rotors.

http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=186956#post186956

NickACS will be selling his soon.

Thanks for the heads-up. I keep missing these over there... :cry:

operknockity
08-28-2002, 03:34 PM
Leave bright and early :eek: on Monday the 2nd. Back very late :eek: :eek: the following Friday.

:banghead: :flipoff: :mad:

The trip has been delayed (this is the second time they've done this. Argh).

The product manager, who had previously decided they could live without some of the features in this release, has now decided the software can not be released without them.

At least I have more time to contemplate the M3 wheel;-).

Anyone have a small tactical nuke I can borrow :bigpimp:

Raffi
08-28-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Galun

Can you elaborate more on this home made clutch stop please? Thanks!

It is fairly simple to make. I read a post less than a year ago at the .org, I think it was posted by JP in To or TD or ???? Basically, go to Home Depot, get a bolt (I think it is a M10 x 1.5 but not quite sure), get a plastic funiture foot, drill a hole in the middle of it so the bolt can pass through, cover the furniture foot with a couple of round, felt furniture foot pads, and screw the whole thing in place of the original clutch stop. You also need to get a nut on the bolt assembly so you can adjust the height and prevent the bolt from coming loose. Sorry, I don't have pics... All the parts are from Home Depot and should cost you less than $2 and take five minutes to put together. Enjoy!

Galun
08-28-2002, 11:47 PM

It is fairly simple to make. I read a post less than a year ago at the .org, I think it was posted by JP in To or TD or ???? Basically, go to Home Depot, get a bolt (I think it is a M10 x 1.5 but not quite sure), get a plastic funiture foot, drill a hole in the middle of it so the bolt can pass through, cover the furniture foot with a couple of round, felt furniture foot pads, and screw the whole thing in place of the original clutch stop. You also need to get a nut on the bolt assembly so you can adjust the height and prevent the bolt from coming loose. Sorry, I don't have pics... All the parts are from Home Depot and should cost you less than $2 and take five minutes to put together. Enjoy!

Thanks.... I actually went down to Ace Hardware today and got myself a bolt, nut and washer. Don't have the furniture foot setup yet - right how it's just the bolt with some electrical tape around it. The rubber stop will be an upgrade for a later date..... :)

I couldn't wait to install the clutch stop, so I started fiddling around at the mall parking lot. As I was trying to adjust the bolt to the correct height where the engine would start, I kept going back and forth between the ignition and the clutch. Apparently, someone thought I was trying to hotwire the car! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I explained what I was trying to do and we started talking cars for a little bit. That was quite an unusual encounter.

Raffi
08-28-2002, 11:55 PM

As I was trying to adjust the bolt to the correct height where the engine would start, I kept going back and forth between the ignition and the clutch. Apparently, someone thought I was trying to hotwire the car! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I explained what I was trying to do and we started talking cars for a little bit. That was quite an unusual encounter.

Was it a rent-a-cop? Too funny! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Galun
08-29-2002, 07:57 AM

Was it a rent-a-cop? Too funny! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yup, you got it :thumbup:

Raffi
08-29-2002, 09:42 AM

Yup, you got it :thumbup:

:D