PDA

View Full Version : BMW certified series...truth or fantasy?

ChrisTO
08-28-2002, 01:14 AM
not sure if anyone has followed this thread...very interesting account of purchasing a certified series. definitely worth a read for anyone looking to purchase a used car in general.

http://www.e46toronto.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=18662&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=20197&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

in_d_haus
08-28-2002, 02:51 AM
WOW! :yikes: what a story! I think it's an exception rather than a rule though. Sounds like the dealer didn't do a good job at inspection time and rubber stamped the CPO on the car to turn it.
My guess is that they truely didn't realize it had been hit...twice.

I'm looking at a CPO car now. The dealer told me it costs them $1800 to inspect and do maint to a car to get it CPO'd.

This car is in near perfect shape. The back seats look like no one ever sat in them. They told me up front it is a lease return and they got it at auction from California.

We have 3 dealers in close proximity so competition is tight amongst them. I don't think any of them would pull the kind of crap this guy has gone through since the bad publicity could kill their competition and send people elsewhere.

I'll definately take a closer look at the car after reading this though and may run the VIN through Carfax.

Dan
08-28-2002, 03:34 AM
Take it from an industry insider: the number one rule when buying a used car is caveat emptor (let the buyer beware). If you are under the impression that purchasing a certified used car will avoid all chances of this poor guy's story happening to you, you are wrong.

DougDogs
08-28-2002, 05:24 AM
Just playing devil's advocate here, but where does it say that CPO has anything to do with the body panels of a car?? I was under the impression that it was just mechanical/electrical inspection of the major components of the car. ( and I did not read any compaints about anything other than the body work)

The real lesson here is that when you are about to make a major purchase of a used car, you have it checked also by a private party. You might be too "glassy eyed" to do this check yourself. And any dealer that won't allow you to have a car checked out privately...well you know right then to walk away with your money in your pocket.

edit: not putting on the flame suit here:) a fool and his money, are soon parted!

CD-55
08-28-2002, 06:29 AM
A dealer told me my wreck *could* (MAY) become a CPO car someday.

ENOUGH SAID!!!

edit: of course after it is all fixed up, if it is ever fixed.

JPinTO
08-28-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by CD-55
A dealer told me my wreck *could* (MAY) become a CPO car someday.

ENOUGH SAID!!!

Then the CPO program is worthless. Just buy any used car and slap an aftermarket extended warranty on it.

323DKB
08-28-2002, 07:22 AM
In terms of the body panels, if you look at the CPO check list here (http://bmwusa.com/site_layout/cpo/certdetail_b.html) on BMW USA's web site you'll see that the panels at least should have been inspected and "meets BMW guidelines and standards" whatever they are.

I just got a CPO 1999 323i and this story really makes me think. I've got no reason to believe there are any serious issues with the car, but I've been asking to see this checklist since before I bought it and I still don't have a copy. I think a some dealers put the car in the program without actually doing the full inspection. It does cost them some money to do the certification. They'll tell you different numbers, but I think it realistically is $600-$800. If they don't do it, that's more money in their pocket at the sale. Probably a pretty good profit since they jack the CPO car prices up, too.

ChrisTO
08-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by JPinTO

Then the CPO program is worthless. Just buy any used car and slap an aftermarket extended warranty on it.

my thoughts exactly. you pay a premium for a certified series BMW. if it doesn't buy you any additional assurance than why is a customer paying that premium for? extended warranty? you can buy that regardless of CPO or not if i'm not mistaken.

The HACK
08-28-2002, 11:04 AM
"I'm so disappointed as to date I love the car I thought I had."

First of all, CPO or not I would've paid $20 and run a CarFax on it before signing any papers.

Secondly, he "loved" the car...What's different about it now?

Third, I read in the Roundel that cars repaired with OEM parts and panels DOES qualify for the CPO process. If the car is in sound mechanical order, what's the BFD?

Lastly, it's the original bodyshop's fault that the paint wasn't done properly. You all know my distrust of paintshops. They are all hacks. Any crappy bodyshop can paint a car to look perfect on first inspection...What happens a few month down the road is a different story.

Find a bodyshop he can trust to get the paint taken care of, and live with it. What is so damn different about his car that he so "loved" before, as opposed to before he found out about the "CPO" nightmare? The list of mods he's putting into his car is actually doing more "damage" to his resale value than the CPO fiasco. At least he didn't have to pay all that much for a 100,000 mile warranty.

HW
08-28-2002, 12:32 PM
i thought that the body panel filler check (using a magnet), paint inspection, asking the dealer about past accidents and collisions AND then verifying that and the mechanics of the car for yourself through some 3rd party is standard used car purchasing procedure? also making sure that you do get a copy of the inspection is a prudent option. (i made sure i got a copy of the PDI checklist for my new car before signing anything)

hack: i've never had a bodyshop do a perfect job on a car nor seen anyone else w/ a perfect repair job. there will always be some telltale sign of a repair or repaint, anything from bits of lint, specs of dust, fisheyes, scratches under the paint, wrong texture, thickening of paint in areas, panel missalignment, overspray, painted parts that should be painted, ill-fitted trim, the list goes on and on.....

CD-55
08-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by HW
SNIP..

hack: i've never had a bodyshop do a perfect job on a car nor seen anyone else w/ a perfect repair job. there will always be some telltale sign of a repair or repaint, anything from bits of lint, specs of dust, fisheyes, scratches under the paint, wrong texture, thickening of paint in areas, SNIP

I had some of that in my factory paint