PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if/when you need to add brake fluid?

Chris330Ci
08-28-2002, 08:33 PM
Just curious. :dunno:

TD
08-28-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Chris330ci
Just curious. :dunno:

Well, you could compare the fluid level to the markings on the side of the reservior.

operknockity
08-28-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by TD
Well, you could compare the fluid level to the markings on the side of the reservior.
You mean I'd actually have to pop the hood???????????? Don't think I can do that :bigpimp:

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-28-2002, 08:56 PM
When the brakes stop working and you hear a grinding sound when you depress the pedal. :D

Chris330Ci
08-28-2002, 08:59 PM
Ok, so chalk up dumb question #1 for me. I've never done it before in any car, so I really don't know. That's what I love about this board though, smart ass comments from the regulars along with right answer! :flipoff: :p

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-28-2002, 09:06 PM
Ok, so chalk up dumb question #1 for me. I've never done it before in any car, so I really don't know. That's what I love about this board though, smart ass comments from the regulars along with right answer! :flipoff: :p

We try to throw it in somewhere. :D Nonetheless, if we can't dish out (and take, of course) a bit of ****, where's the fun? :thumbup:

TD
08-28-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

We try to throw it in somewhere. :D Nonetheless, if we can't dish out (and take, of course) a bit of ****, where's the fun? :thumbup:

Amen. That's how I see it.

operknockity
08-28-2002, 09:20 PM
I've never done it before in any car, so I really don't know.

Didn't mean to come off as a total ass :rolleyes:..

But you've never seen your dad, a friend, a mechanic, or (and I'm really dating myself here) the pump jockey at the filling station check the fluid levels? (Do pump jockeys still exist anywhere and do they still check your fluid levels?????) Never even seen it done in a "car" movie or in the pits at a race/school/autoX? Never discussed in drivers ed?

Just kinda curious that anyone that is in to cars, even just a little, hasn't ever at least seen it being done somewhere. (No dig on you, but it seems kinda odd to me).

johnlew
08-28-2002, 09:42 PM
I thought a warning light comes on. :dunno:

eugeneDC/TX
08-28-2002, 11:00 PM
haha, my addition to the smart ass comments

(1) the brakes use fluid?

(2) i call bmw roadside assistance.

haha. hey, no biggie not knowing stuff like that. at least you want to learn, not just drive the car into the ground and run to the dealer for little things

Chris330Ci
08-29-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by operknockity

Didn't mean to come off as a total ass :rolleyes:..

But you've never seen your dad, a friend, a mechanic, or (and I'm really dating myself here) the pump jockey at the filling station check the fluid levels? (Do pump jockeys still exist anywhere and do they still check your fluid levels?????) Never even seen it done in a "car" movie or in the pits at a race/school/autoX? Never discussed in drivers ed?

Just kinda curious that anyone that is in to cars, even just a little, hasn't ever at least seen it being done somewhere. (No dig on you, but it seems kinda odd to me).

LOL! No you didn't. I was just kidding around in my reply. I knew I was going to get replies like that, but hey, what the hell, doesn't bother me.

To answer your question about seeing anyone do it, no. I am by far the most knowledgable of all my friends when it comes to cars and how to fix/mod things. BTW, when was the last time a mechanic let you into the garage to watch them work..?! Never been to any pits and I am getting ready to goto my first track event this weekend, thus my question. Brakes is kind of a gray area for me at the moment.

Drivers ed...what's that?!

Chris330Ci
08-29-2002, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
haha. hey, no biggie not knowing stuff like that. at least you want to learn, not just drive the car into the ground and run to the dealer for little things

Exactly. Even if it means asking silly questions, I'd prefer to know how everything works and how to fix it rather than have to rely on someone else to take care of it.

operknockity
08-29-2002, 07:36 AM
BTW, when was the last time a mechanic let you into the garage to watch them work..?!
I used an independent mechanic for my previous car (86 Toyota Celica GTS). I used to drop in to the bays all the time to watch what they were doing and ask questions. Plus they did a lot of the up front problem analysis by popping the hood in the parking lot. So I got to see a lot of what they did and got to ask a lot of questions. :thumbup:

Of course when I used the dealer or a couple of other independents way way back, they never let any customers further back than the waiting room. :banghead:

operknockity
08-29-2002, 07:42 AM
Never been to any pits and I am getting ready to goto my first track event this weekend, thus my question.

I didn't necessarily mean AT a race/autoX/etc., but when watching them on TV or in a movie. Also any TV programs about cars like Motorweek or anything on the Speed Channel or the like.

On the other hand... While I have seen quite a bit over the years, there is an awful lot I would have trouble doing the first time since I have actually done very little of my own work on my cars except for changing the common fluids and filters and a flat or two.

DougDogs
08-29-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by operknockity

But you've never seen your dad, a friend, a mechanic, or (and I'm really dating myself here) the pump jockey at the filling station check the fluid levels? (Do pump jockeys still exist anywhere and do they still check your fluid levels?????)

Here in the land of no self service (NJ) they still exsist..:thumbdwn:

but, they rarely ask to check under the hood, unless you have a nice car. Funny, I get asked a lot when driving the BMW, but they never ask when I'm driving the trailblazer:lmao: :lmao: