BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

645, 650, 655?

15K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cobradav 
#1 · (Edited)
Are they gonna cap the displacement of the 6 to 5.0 liters?

Will BMW make an even faster 6er say within the next 3 years and call it something like the 655?

#3 · (Edited)
grahambishop said:
the next big step is the M6
5 liter V-10 with 507 horsepower and around 376 pounds of torque. 0 -100 Kph (62 mph) is 4.6 seconds. Betcha it goes for over 100K
So are you saying that BMW will never make a 6er fast enough so that it starts to eat at M6 sales? For instance, Audi is being careful about the RS9 not eating into sales of the Gallardo when the RS9 comes out.

So... how fast will the fastest 6er be, and what would the displacement be? I mean, what would the gap be? For instance, 4.6 seconds for M6. Perhaps 4.9 seconds for the fastest 6?

Anyways, I don't know if I want to get an M6. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money, I think it would be worth the wait in considering the Audi RS9 when it comes out.

#5 ·
SmoothCruise said:
So are you saying that BMW will never make a 6er fast enough so that it starts to eat at M6 sales? For instance, Audi is being careful about the RS9 not eating into sales of the Gallardo when the RS9 comes out.

So... how fast will the fastest 6er be, and what would the displacement be? I mean, what would the gap be? For instance, 4.6 seconds for M6. Perhaps 4.9 seconds for the fastest 6?

Anyways, I don't know if I want to get an M6. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money, I think it would be worth the wait in considering the Audi RS9 when it comes out.
No I didn't say that BMW would never make a 6 fast enough that it would eat into M6 sales.He asked a question which I answered...the next fast 6 will be the M6, which I would consider to still be a 6....just with a higher price tag and a bunch faster.
I personally am not enamored of Audis but to each his own. Going to an Audi after climaxing 25 years of BMWs with a 6 Coupe has to be like kissing your sister :D

#8 ·
AriciU said:
RS9? :dunno:

Do you mean the Le Mans by any chance?
Yup that is the car. I've been reading earlier reports call it RS9. Tuningnews.net had an article on it, and it was referred to as the RS9. The reports say that Audi is gonna make it happen.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/audi_lemans.asp

AriciU said:
If that ever comes out looking the way it does it will kill everything the market has to offer right now. Ferrari's and Lambo's included.
Yeah man... just looks alone make it awesome.

AriciU said:
It's fuc&in gorgeous!
Well, I feel sorry for those people who think of it as their "sister". I mean 25 years of "climaxing with a BMW" compared to this is like bragging about doing a blow up doll for 25 years. :rofl:

AriciU said:
It will cost 180k+ though i think :(
Which is comparable to an M6, decked out with all the options, or the Aston Martin, which is why I've been advising people to consider all their options.

Audi has plans of placing a larger powerplant in later models of this car. Who says Audi's are boring?

#10 · (Edited)
AriciU said:
I think (99% sure) that the 650 will be the final E63 6er that comes out. You want anything faster then that then go for the M6 or tune it. I don't think it will get the V12 out of the 760.
Agree fully. Upgrading engines need to be thought of for the whole series ranges in the 5, 6 and 7 as they have just done using the 4.8litre V8. So when the new 7 series come out in 2008+, they might still use the current line up of V8 engines for a little while, which will only be 3 or 4 years old in 2008/2009. This new line up of V8's to compete with Benz new V8's for now.

No chance of using the 6.0litre V12 IMHO because of weight issues, and the gap between the M6 narrows. My 2 cents is that the 650i will be it, excluding any M versions.

#11 ·
650iOzBoy said:
Agree fully. Upgrading engines need to be thought of for the whole series ranges in the 5, 6 and 7 as they have just done using the 4.8litre V8. So when the new 7 series come out in 2008+, they might still use the current line up of V8 engines for a little while, which will only be 3 or 4 years old in 2008/2009. This new line up of V8's to compete with Benz new V8's for now.

No chance of using the 6.0litre V12 IMHO because of weight issues, and the gap between the M6 narrows. My 2 cents is that the 650i will be it, excluding any M versions.
I agree no V12 but BMW is not sitting idle content with the 4.8L as it is now. They are doing research on the next top of the line non M engine. They have at least four series to defray the cost, X5, 5, 6, & 7. And it may not be an E63/64 6er but the next chassis designator that gets the boost. Who will get the next step up first? Maybe X5 or 7 would be my bet, but something will come higher than a x50 in 3 years or so. And don't forget there is more in the V10 than "just" the 507 hp they have now so they can keep respective gap if they feel the need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.