PDA

View Full Version : Electronic warfare

Stuka
08-28-2002, 11:23 PM
OK, so part of the fun of going on road trips to driving schools is our coordinating leap frog passing and shooting the sh*t over walkie talkie, and alerting each other of V1 pickup's. :D

I have been thinking of taking it one step further and get a hand held police scanner. I tried to do some research but couldn't find a good faq.

All I want is a hand held one that can scan all CHP and Sheriff patrol radio traffic so that we can notify each other of potential threats when on the road.

Anyone here whose knowledgeable in this area? Any help much appreciated.:angel:

Raffi
08-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Oh, no, I think I see where this is going, Stuka... :tsk: :yikes: :eek: :rolleyes:

operknockity
08-29-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Stuka
I have been thinking of taking it one step further and get a hand held police scanner. I tried to do some research but couldn't find a good faq.

All I want is a hand held one that can scan all CHP and Sheriff patrol radio traffic so that we can notify each other of potential threats when on the road.

I've got a Realistic PRO-34 handheld scanner. Had it since about '87 or '88, though haven't used it in almost that long. I originally got it, along with a PRO-2004 and a PRO-2006, to monitor emergency stuff after earthquakes and other disasters. (Worked really nicely after the LA Riots... 2 TV's, 2 regular radios, and 3 scanners).

Another well regarded and inexpensive brand name from those days was Uniden Bearcat. I can't really remember the others right now but they were more on the expensive side as I recall. And I haven't looked in to scanner specs in a very long time. Though I'm sure that they've gotten much smaller since then. The PRO-34 is the size of like 4 or 5 FRS radios combined!

The one thing I do know is that all of the ones I have can be easily modded to pick up cellular frequencies by simply clipping a diode. Everything made in the last 6 to 8 years has been redesigned so that the cell bands are locked out in software so can't be unlocked without a whole lot of trouble, if at all.

I think I also remember hearing that some states had outlawed mobile scanner usage. can't remember if CA was one of them.

You might pick up a copy of Monitoring Times or some of the shortwave radio magazines and peruse the ads. There used to be some good info in the alt.radio.scanner newsgroup. I'll post any good tidbits I come across.