PDA

View Full Version : What a disappointment (new E-Class has arrived)

Jon Shafer
08-29-2002, 08:20 AM
I'm still fighting the uphill battle to catch-up from vacation, but I just wanted to share my initial observations with you. in the Fall of 1995 the last E320 was launched to HUGE fanfare, and was an instant smash retail success.

Now, 7 years later, the "new" one has hit.

My personal perception:

"A top-of-the-line Dodge Neon".

No $hit - that's exactly what is resembles to me.

(We are a Mercedes-Benz retailer as well as a Dodge dealer too)

Say what you want about the latest designs coming
from Bangle & Co., but it's pretty clear to me why
BMW is kicking their heinies!!!

"Banglification"?

How 'bout "Neonification"???

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

DougDogs
08-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Jon Shafer
My personal perception:

(

do they now share the same platform/ assembly plant???

I thought no good would come from the Chrysler/MB merge....I guess i was right

:dunno:

nate
08-29-2002, 08:25 AM
Driven it yet?

TD
08-29-2002, 08:26 AM
FYI, Jon, thankfully your software here allows the word "****".

Swear away.

hts
08-29-2002, 08:39 AM
Yeah, but have you seen the design for the new Chrysler Pacifica?

Not really my cup of tea, but it looks a lot the the new MB (Grand Sport Tourer, or something like that).

Kaz
08-29-2002, 09:18 AM
I really disliked the last E-class, especially compared to the timeless model before it.

I don't know about the seemingly downhill MB quality these days but I think the new one is a winner stylingwise, inside and out.

johnlew
08-29-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Kaz
I don't know about the seemingly downhill MB quality these days but I think the new one is a winner stylingwise, inside and out.

I saw one in person Mon. nite. Thought it was pretty nice. Still had plastic and all and hadn't been prepped.

geomax
08-29-2002, 10:14 AM
But how does it drive??

My Dad has a 2001 E430, and it's an amazing car. Looks great, and has that magical V8 under the hood. Smooth plush ride. A little soft in the corners, but oh so comfortable.

Jeff_DML
08-29-2002, 10:31 AM

My personal perception:

(We are a Mercedes-Benz retailer as well as a Dodge dealer too)

Say what you want about the latest designs coming
from Bangle & Co., but it's pretty clear to me why
BMW is kicking their heinies!!!

"Banglification"?

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Neon like -I assume looks wise? Or build wise?

I personally think it looks good but that is in pictures not in the flesh.:dunno:

Jeff

Closer
08-29-2002, 10:33 AM
hahah :thumbup: seriously all of MB's designs are starting to look the same :eek:

StLChris
08-29-2002, 11:15 AM
seriously all of MB's designs are starting to look the same
Isn't that the plan? I remember throughout the 80s and early 90s all MB's cars looked the same. The 190 was a smaller 300 which was a smaller S. Just like the newest iterations, the C is a smaller E is a smaller S.

Hey, cool, I could do SAT questions on the MB design scheme

SLK:SL :: CLK:
A) C
B) SEC
C) CL
D) SD

ChrisTO
08-29-2002, 11:16 AM
i personally think that MB build quality is going down hill to remain price competitive against the likes of Lexus/Infiniti/Acura.

i sat in the new S-class and it didn't have that solid feel of previous generation S'. the plastic knobs on the dash felt flimsy and cheap. opening the rear doors felt like a japanese car. wasn't heavy at all. the rearseat drop down vanity mirror felt so cheap that i feared for it's life when i closed it. it almost felt half broken.

maybe it's Chrysler polluting the engineering pool at MB, but i think it's price pressure from the highend japanese cars.

Originally posted by Jeff_DML

Neon like -I assume looks wise? Or build wise?
Jeff

rwg
08-29-2002, 12:35 PM
At the risk of loosing my BMW cheerleading uniform, I find it difficult to be a BMW fanatic and attack other car companies for having different models the look the same in a different size.:confused:

Even if BMW is moving away from the "same cigar, different size" designing.

Jon Shafer
08-29-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by rwg
At the risk of loosing my BMW cheerleading uniform, I find it difficult to be a BMW fanatic and attack other car companies for having different models the look the same in a different size.:confused:

Even if BMW is moving away from the "same cigar, different size" designing.

The thrust of my post was this: the last (E-class) introduction brought us novel, cutting-edge styling that was truly unique
and eye-catching. We sold the poop out of E320's for several
years. It is my belief that history will not repeat itself, and
help MBZ (Goliath) contend with BMW (Davey) in the U.S. market
for sales superiority in the short run. No immediate "boost" if you
will...

Did you know that once upone a time, BMW A.G. had to fight from being bought out by the almighty MBZ?

The US market is now the premier market in the world for
highline "tier 1" import luxury brands. And right now,
BMW is numero uno... Personally, I am very proud
to be a part of that. It was only just a couple of years
ago when BMW was an "also-ran"....

Empirically speaking (at our little store here in S.B.),
MBZ has a huge edge over BMW in sales volume since
1992 (when the Cutter bought the dealership out of
U.S. Bankruptcy Court). 2001 was the very first year
that we over here at BMW beat the guys over at MBZ.
The delta was about 100 total units.

This year so far, we're ahead by that amount already,
and we have part of quarter 3, and all of quarter 4 to
go. This month in particular is a "laugher"...

Sure, this is just our little corner of the automotive world.

But, if you can extrapolate, well... You get the message.

Which brings me back to the new E320.

Simply stated - nothing special.

My first perception at a glance - "damn - looks just like a big Neon"...

Oy vay...
:p

The HACK
08-29-2002, 01:11 PM
Don't worry, when the new 5 series comes out with the Bangle butt, everyone will be flocking to Mercedes to buy the E series. ;)

(Actually, I STILL like the new 7 series...Just joining the crowd)

vexed
08-29-2002, 01:17 PM
As a former owner of a 1998 E320 I thought MB would not screw the next E up--maybe they did. I still like the way my E looked, and it was--for what it was supposed to be--a great car. Of course after I sold it to my friend all sorts of things have gone wrong....:dunno:

PhilH
08-29-2002, 02:25 PM
The E55 looks nice. I'm starting to like the exterior design of the new Mercedes better than the new BMWs.

http://speed.supercars.net/boardpics/2002-7-15/234483a.jpg

Jon Shafer
08-29-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by PhilH
The E55 looks nice. I'm starting to like the exterior design of the new Mercedes better than the new BMWs.

http://speed.supercars.net/boardpics/2002-7-15/234483a.jpg

Hey Phil!

I will have to agree with you there...

Huge wheels and a body kit will make a BIG difference...

The wheels on the E320 really look small and cheap.

Dan
08-29-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ChrisTO
i personally think that MB build quality is going down hill to remain price competitive against the likes of Lexus/Infiniti/Acura.

i sat in the new S-class and it didn't have that solid feel of previous generation S'. the plastic knobs on the dash felt flimsy and cheap. opening the rear doors felt like a japanese car. wasn't heavy at all. the rearseat drop down vanity mirror felt so cheap that i feared for it's life when i closed it. it almost felt half broken.

maybe it's Chrysler polluting the engineering pool at MB, but i think it's price pressure from the highend japanese cars.

Chris, I share your opinion 100%. The old school Mercedes-Benz produced superbly crafted automobiles that were built to a quality standard, regardless of price. That is no longer possible, due to Lexus. My friend has a 1983 MB 240D that feels as solid as a bank vault. I sat in a new S600 last year, went to open the console, and the frigging lid came off! That is not acceptable in any car at any price, much less a $130k MB. By the way, the last gen E class is regarded as the first of MB's "built to a price standard" cars. Personally, I like the styling of the new E class a lot, and am looking forward to test driving an E500 soon.

Jon Shafer
09-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Check out the wheels.

Jon Shafer
09-02-2002, 08:31 PM
The rear end.

ChrisTO
09-02-2002, 09:59 PM
u stuck a cutter motors license plate cover on a neon? :)

The rear end.

aardvark
09-03-2002, 01:49 AM
The rear end.

Sorry to say it, but it's far more symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing than the rear end of the new 7-series.

Teej
09-03-2002, 01:01 PM
I went out to HBL in Tysons Corner last night to see the new E-Class. One word....boring. They had a E320 and a E500 sitting outside and neither one stirred any excitement in me at all. The E55 may be a different story with its slightly more aggressive looks. Otherwise it just looks exactly like what it is...a C and S fusion. And I don't find either one exciting. At least BMW is more adventurous....even though I don't like the newer designs, well at least not the e65.