PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with Bridgestone S-03s...

VDPHB
08-29-2002, 09:45 AM
Hey guys,

I just had my S-03s installed on my car yesterday. The first thing I noticed was that the car "wanders" and follows irregularities in the road quite a bit more than the Contisports that were OE on the car. I read that this is somewhat expected. What's your experience? I can't wait to push these tires though.....just another 150 miles to go!!!!

Thanks for your input!

in_d_haus
08-29-2002, 09:50 AM
I went from Dunlop SP Sport 2000s to S-03s and didn't notice any additional tramlining (wandering) myself. Of course our roads are pretty crappy up here too.

As I understand it tramlining comes more from the size/profile of the tire than the composite but the S-03 has an extremely stiff sidewall which would transmit any side loads to the steering.

Nate knows a lot about this...

Ben Chou
08-29-2002, 09:54 AM
I have 18" S-03 and they tramline a lot. I run real low profiles though. 225/40/18 in the front and 255/35/18 in the rear so that doesn't help. It's just something that I have learned to deal with.

The HACK
08-29-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by VDPHB
Hey guys,

I just had my S-03s installed on my car yesterday. The first thing I noticed was that the car "wanders" and follows irregularities in the road quite a bit more than the Contisports that were OE on the car. I read that this is somewhat expected. What's your experience? I can't wait to push these tires though.....just another 150 miles to go!!!!

Thanks for your input!

What's your previous tire? I've noticed that symmetrical tread design seems to tramline a lot more than assymetrical tread design

blackdawg
08-29-2002, 10:58 AM
tire sizes vary a tad between manufacturers, so the s03's might be wider, size for size than the OEM tire, but also the sidewall is a fair bit stiffer.

so the car will tramline a tad more than normal. i noticed it right away in our E46. a very minimal downside.

:p

one thing: the N rating hints at this issue, as on 911s, porsche only recommends certain tires which are N rated (n1-n4) because of their sidewall characteristics so the car doesn't follow every rut in the road; S02's, for example are N rated, but the S03s are not.........if this rating were accurate, then we might guess that S02s would tramline less.

maybe nate would know. that kid goes through tires like water.

VDPHB
08-29-2002, 11:17 AM
Hey,

Thanks for your input guys. I've had ContiSports on my car. The first time around, I had 225/45-17s all around. The 2nd time around I had ContiSports again225/45-17s up front and 245/40-17s in back.

I switched back to the non-staggered S-03s last night along with a four wheel alignment. I haven't "broken them in" yet, but my first impressions are a little more humming, definitely a bit more tramlining/wandering on surface irregularities, a slightly more compliant ride. Haven't tested the handling yet as I'm waiting for the release compounds to wear off. Another interesting thing is my steering effort has been reduced slightly (alignment?).

That's my experience so far!

nate
08-29-2002, 11:19 AM
They do tramline a lot new. Also transmit road irregularities a lot due to the extremely stiff sidewall.