PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my new car

in_d_haus
08-29-2002, 02:11 PM
Since a bunch of you asked, I took more pics of the E36 M3 today.
You can find them here. I cut them down to half size so they won't take as long to load for ya!

Click here for pics (http://www.mindspring.com/~haussler/bmw/)

Enjoy!
Haus

Jetfire
08-29-2002, 02:14 PM
Beauty. :) And those wheels definitely make the car stand out.

Ben Chou
08-29-2002, 02:21 PM
Very clean and Great looking car. Congratulations, Haus.

VtT
08-30-2002, 12:46 AM
you all need clears

in_d_haus
08-30-2002, 06:27 AM
I'm thinking about it. Actually I'm looking at the smoke ones. :D

StLChris
08-30-2002, 06:50 AM
Haus, I think you should keep the amber lights on there. I think clears would ruin the look, or at least detract from it. Think about it, the e36 M3 is a drivers car first. The lines are not as refined as an e46, and having the amber lights goes along with the raw, sharp look and feel of the e36.

Caveat: I am in no way looking to start another e36 vs. e46 looks/drivability/general coolness debate. Yes, I'm new here, but I'm not *that* stupid. :eek:

johnlew
08-30-2002, 06:51 AM
Looks great Haus, waiting for the detailed pics. And make sure to take them at dusk, not bright sunlight.

Jetfire
08-30-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by StLChris
Haus, I think you should keep the amber lights on there. I think clears would ruin the look, or at least detract from it. Think about it, the e36 M3 is a drivers car first. The lines are not as refined as an e46, and having the amber lights goes along with the raw, sharp look and feel of the e36.

I think clears would make the car look sharper and more pure. They clean up the lines, but I disagree that that in any way detracts from the look. But hey, that's just my opinion. :) I don't have clears myself, but once I'm done with the important stuff I'll think about it.

Dr. Phil
08-30-2002, 07:21 AM
The pictures look great Haus:thumbup:

But I think your Griot's guys are right, the black will bring you to your knees:eeps: But since you enjoy detailing, it should be a passion for you to make the black beauty shine:D

TD
08-30-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Jetfire

I think clears would make the car look sharper and more pure. They clean up the lines, but I disagree that that in any way detracts from the look. But hey, that's just my opinion. :) I don't have clears myself, but once I'm done with the important stuff I'll think about it.

Speaking of "important stuff"-

The single best mod for the E36 M3 is also one of the cheapest and easiest to install. And I highly recommend it to an E36-er who doesn't have it yet.

It's the Motorsport X-Brace.

Look here- http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_techtip/techtips/e36_xbrace.htm

Jetfire
08-30-2002, 07:39 AM
TD, have you installed trans mount enforcers? That's one of the first items I plan to purchase. While I'm down there, I might as well install the x-brace. Just don't tell the SCCA guys that I'm not technically stock...

TD
08-30-2002, 07:40 AM
TD, have you installed trans mount enforcers? That's one of the first items I plan to purchase. While I'm down there, I might as well install the x-brace. Just don't tell the SCCA guys that I'm not technically stock...

THe x-brace does NOT take away stock status AFAIK.

in_d_haus
08-30-2002, 07:50 AM
X-brace is definately on the list for me

Jetfire
08-30-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by TD

THe x-brace does NOT take away stock status AFAIK.

Actually, I believe it does to the SCCA (we're talking Solo 2, of course). Here's the definition of Stock class:

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/stock.html

That section lists some very specific modifications that are allowed for vehicles in the stock class. Cross braces are not included in the list. However, the part is factory installed on roadsters and convertibles.

My interpretation of the rules are as follows. The x-brace was only installed on E36 M3s if they were ordered as convertibles. Therefore, they are considered part of the convertible "package." In order for the x-brace to be considered stock, one would have to install the entire package that included the x-brace. In this case, that would mean "installing" the rest of the convertible "package." This is, of course, a ridiculous proposition, but it would be the only way to have an x-brace and remain in B-Stock. So the only x-braced E36ers in BS should be convertibles.

Of course, I highly doubt that anyone would notice. Furthermore, I doubt anyone would care a whole lot at the local level, unless you become competitive in your class.

Oh BTW TD, you never answered the first part of my question. Do you have the TMEs? I've yet to see the transmission flex, but I've got a FATT in December and I'm wondering if it's really a common problem with E36s.

TD
08-30-2002, 08:10 AM

Actually, I believe it does to the SCCA (we're talking Solo 2, of course). Here's the definition of Stock class:

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/stock.html

That section lists some very specific modifications that are allowed for vehicles in the stock class. Cross braces are not included in the list. However, the part is factory installed on roadsters and convertibles.

My interpretation of the rules are as follows. The x-brace was only installed on E36 M3s if they were ordered as convertibles. Therefore, they are considered part of the convertible "package." In order for the x-brace to be considered stock, one would have to install the entire package that included the x-brace. In this case, that would mean "installing" the rest of the convertible "package." This is, of course, a ridiculous proposition, but it would be the only way to have an x-brace and remain in B-Stock. So the only x-braced E36ers in BS should be convertibles.

Of course, I highly doubt that anyone would notice. Furthermore, I doubt anyone would care a whole lot at the local level, unless you become competitive in your class.

Oh BTW TD, you never answered the first part of my question. Do you have the TMEs? I've yet to see the transmission flex, but I've got a FATT in December and I'm wondering if it's really a common problem with E36s.

No TME for me as I have not had a problem with flex and, from what I've read, the TME transmits a lot of engine vibration into the interior. Until I notice a need for it, I do not care to make that sacrifice.

JPinTO
08-30-2002, 12:05 PM
Nice! :thumbup:

Where's the E46 vs E36 writeup??

ChrisTO
08-30-2002, 12:08 PM
wow! very sweet. love the rims. :thumbup:

in_d_haus
08-30-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by JPinTO
Nice! :thumbup:

Where's the E46 vs E36 writeup??

Look here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11263

Josh (PA)
08-30-2002, 12:16 PM

I think clears would make the car look sharper and more pure. They clean up the lines, but I disagree that that in any way detracts from the look. But hey, that's just my opinion. :) I don't have clears myself, but once I'm done with the important stuff I'll think about it. '

I think clears look like **** on E36s. The look much more after market tack on than they do on the e46 for some reason. Just passing through and adding my opinion, but the ambers look best, FYI.

JPinTO
08-30-2002, 03:15 PM
How about a E46 325 vs E36M3 comparison now that you've had some seat time in the M3.

Dan
08-30-2002, 05:09 PM
Nice car!

gr8330
08-30-2002, 05:22 PM
really looks clean......the e36M3 has a lean look

in_d_haus
08-30-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by JPinTO
How about a E46 325 vs E36M3 comparison now that you've had some seat time in the M3.

Ok, an extended review of the E36 and a comparo of the E46 325 (you may be surprised)

johnlew
08-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

Ok, an extended review of the E36 and a comparo of the E46 325 (you may be surprised)

I may be surprised, but to me, it's apples and oranges. Gotta compare the Ms against eachother IMHO.

Jetfire
08-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by johnlew

I may be surprised, but to me, it's apples and oranges. Gotta compare the Ms against eachother IMHO.

:lmao: if I had a nickel for every time I heard that...

And if you had a nickel for every time I said, "no, you should compare them by price...." :lmao:

Anyway, I look forward to your review. Bring it!