PDA

View Full Version : Just added a few new news items...

Jon Shafer
08-29-2002, 07:20 PM
For you guys who have the forums bookmarked, and never check out the opening page here...

:D

I know that there are a few of you here who are into
bikes too...

:thumbup:

Kaz
08-29-2002, 07:34 PM
The Z4 ordering guide seems to be new. The 2.5's equipment list looks amazingly 'non-BMW' in the sense that lately BMW really likes loading the cars up by default. No standard fogs, cruise, auto AC are GOOD things in that respect. :thumbup:

Cliff
08-29-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Jon Shafer
I know that there are a few of you here who are into
bikes too...

:thumbup:

Sourced from an anonymous Taiwan factory most likely, with my money placed on Merida. $4k is far too much for that spec. That's maybe a $2k bike.

http://www.bmw-online.com/Img/Img/02%5FQ8%5FBike%5FProfile%2Ejpg

I'll stick with my Schwinn (from the Waterford, WI branch of that family). Nice to see that BMW recognizes the need for speed in bikes though.

CD-55
08-29-2002, 07:47 PM
Neat stuff Jon, thanks!!!

Jeff_DML
08-29-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
The Z4 ordering guide seems to be new. The 2.5's equipment list looks amazingly 'non-BMW' in the sense that lately BMW really likes loading the cars up by default. No standard fogs, cruise, auto AC are GOOD things in that respect. :thumbup:

You like that those are options? To me those should be standard, why wouldnt you want cruise?

I love choice when it comes to leather, sunroof, auto-lights etc. But fogs and cruise should be standard, IMHO. Auto-ac is fine as option.

my 2cents

jeff

TD
08-29-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Jeff_DML

You like that those are options? To me those should be standard, why wouldnt you want cruise?

I love choice when it comes to leather, sunroof, auto-lights etc. But fogs and cruise should be standard, IMHO. Auto-ac is fine as option.

my 2cents

jeff

My last three cars have come with cruise control standard and I have yet to use it on any of them.

I'd love to see it optional so that I'm not indirectly paying for it.

You ask why someone wouldn't want it. I ask why anyone would.

Not to mention, I think it's dangerous.

Mr. The Edge
08-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by TD

My last three cars have come with cruise control standard and I have yet to use it on any of them.

I'd love to see it optional so that I'm not indirectly paying for it.

You ask why someone wouldn't want it. I ask why anyone would.

Not to mention, I think it's dangerous.

amen to that. It seemed to be a big fad in the 70's/80's, but really, who uses it anymore? And get me away from the ones that do. :eek:

Jeff_DML
08-29-2002, 08:15 PM
hey I guess I was wrong. Cruise control in traffic is dangerous but on a empty highway?

It cost BMW nothing for it with drive by wire, doubt their cheap flimsy control stock cost much.

Jeff_DML
08-29-2002, 08:16 PM
tough crowd today:dunno:

TD
08-29-2002, 08:20 PM

Sorry I came off that strong there.

But, IMO, cruise control is up there with SUVs as far as posing a threat to the rest of us.

First off, there isn't much interstate that isn't at least moderately crowded any more. Second, how many times have you seen some car, obviously on cruise control, rapidly approach a slower moving car only the have the driver finally realize it and slam on his brakes at the last possible second.

We need FEWER devices that allow driver inattention not more.

(Off the soapbox...)

Kaz
08-29-2002, 08:20 PM
I don't use my cruise very much either. There is always enough traffic that never stays at a fixed speed for long enough to make it worthwhile most of the time.

Auto AC should definitely be optional unless it has a full manual mode. Mine came with it standard and it constantly drives me nuts. :banghead: :banghead:

Cliff
08-29-2002, 08:24 PM

I'm fine with cruise control, but then I bought my car for what it is, not for what I think it ought to be.

WRT bicycles, BMW should stick with cars or motorcycles. If I want an expensive bicycle, I'll buy one from a guy with experience building good bikes.

TD
08-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
I don't use my cruise very much either. There is always enough traffic that never stays at a fixed speed for long enough to make it worthwhile most of the time.

Auto AC should definitely be optional unless it has a full manual mode. Mine came with it standard and it constantly drives me nuts. :banghead: :banghead:

Be glad you do not have the DUAL ZONE auto AC that is on the E36. That is one of my only complaints about the car. Auto AC is bad enough, but putting TWO ZONES in a rather small car is absurd. All it means is that when I need to adjust the temp setting, I have to do it in two places. I want to find a pre-'96 manual E36 unit and swap (it's still two zones, but at least it's manual).

And my car is cursed with power seats. What a PITA. It's quicker and easier to adjust the manual seats. No pressing and holding the button and waiting for the motors to move the seat. IMO, power seats should not be standard either.

Kaz
08-29-2002, 08:35 PM
My parents' Mitsubishis have a fully manual-able auto-AC, but even in full auto, it doesn't freak out like mine. The worst is when the thing goes into bilev mode and blasts HOT air in the footwell. Changing the venting mode to the manual buttons don't always work. :rolleyes:

Power seats are probably nice if the car has multiple drivers, but I'm the only driver in my car and I haven't touched the seat controls in 8 months other than for cleaning.

Jeff_DML
08-29-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by TD

Sorry I came off that strong there.

But, IMO, cruise control is up there with SUVs as far as posing a threat to the rest of us.

First off, there isn't much interstate that isn't at least moderately crowded any more. Second, how many times have you seen some car, obviously on cruise control, rapidly approach a slower moving car only the have the driver finally realize it and slam on his brakes at the last possible second.

We need FEWER devices that allow driver inattention not more.

(Off the soapbox...)

No problemo, I think we agree on the same point, just not cruise control:D

Basically the more complex stuff they add on cars the more things to break and distract you from driving.

Our wagon is as simple as you can get with a BMW.

Jeff

Tanning machine
08-29-2002, 09:02 PM
I'll put in a plug for cruise control, even though I hardly use it any more. I did a few cross-country drives in past years, and cruise control is great there. There's not a lot of traffic in western Nebraska, Wyoming, Nevada, etc., and locking in the cruise control there is great. What makes it even better in a BMW is that the engine pulls enough that using the little stick to accelerate or decelerate works like a charm.

Cruise control itself isn't bad, it's just badly used by some folks.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-29-2002, 09:07 PM
I like cruise control. It's very helpful on four lane divided roads with 25MPH speed limits. :mad:

Kaz
08-29-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
I like cruise control. It's very helpful on four lane divided roads with 25MPH speed limits. :mad:

What kind of crappy roads do you drive on? 2-lane divided around here in a residential area is 50MPH. :dunno:

fuz
08-30-2002, 12:39 AM
I only use cruise control on long stretches of highways that are mostly empty, or I at least have a large distance between the car I'm following. The problem with me is that if I don't use cruise control, I end up speeding along over 80 very easily--not good with the number of CHP here.

Unfortunately this is very rare as traffic is horrendous in CA.

I do like the AC as non-auto. I like being in control of the car, not the other way around.

Fogs I wouldn't mind being standard, though xenons make them nearly useless.

Michael330
08-30-2002, 12:58 AM
This is my first car with cruise control. I never learned how to use it (not that it's complicated I just don't see the point). What is the big issue with holding your foot over the gas pedal?

jgrgnt
08-30-2002, 01:48 AM
I used the cruise control on my old Camry at every opportunity. With the 325, I think I've only used it once or twice, and that was just to see how it worked.

Why dull things up when you're having so much fun? :D

- Michael

AF
08-30-2002, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by TD

And my car is cursed with power seats. What a PITA. It's quicker and easier to adjust the manual seats. No pressing and holding the button and waiting for the motors to move the seat. IMO, power seats should not be standard either.

The manual seats in the E36 M3 are absolutely the worst seats to adjust in ANY car I have ever sat in.

There are levers all over the place . . . in my partners old M3 I felt this was one of the worst features of his car . . .

Memory power seats all the way :thumbup: . . . touch the button once and your seat goes to the exact position you like it . . .

AF
08-30-2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by jgrgnt
I used the cruise control on my old Camry at every opportunity. With the 325, I think I've only used it once or twice, and that was just to see how it worked.

Why dull things up when you're having so much fun? :D

- Michael

It's funny but the same can be said for me . . . I used to always use my cruise control in my other cars, in my 330 I think I've set it 3 times in the last 2 years . . .

Dan
08-30-2002, 06:31 AM
Cruise control is only safe and useful on lightly traveled highways. Back in the 80's, I traveled by car extensively on business, usually in rural areas. 1000 miles per week average. Cruise was a wonderful and useful feature for those types of driving conditions. Now, 95% of the roads I use are congested most of the time, making cruise control useless.

·clyde·
08-30-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by TD
First off, there isn't much interstate that isn't at least moderately crowded any more.

Sure, when your driving is limited to heavily populated and heavily congested areas during normal person hours.

·clyde·
08-30-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Alan F
Memory power seats all the way :thumbup: . . . touch the button once and your seat goes to the exact position you like it . . .

Which is especially usefull if more than one person drives the car. The other thing about manual seats in many cars is that I find that the exact fore/aft and/or rake that I want is somewhere between two of the available positions.