PDA

View Full Version : Type of Battery

Ack
08-30-2002, 07:58 AM
I was just curious as to what type of battery our cars have. I have the trickle charger for the show tomorrow, but there are three different charge types for different batteries.

Type 1 = most low-maintenance, AGM and Gel Cell Batteries

Type 2 = Deep Cycle and Maintenance-Free Batteries

Type 3 = Deep cycle batteries with a built in 'eye-type' charge indicator.

I would look at the battery to find out, but I can't exactly easily get to it in my trunk.

Thanks guys!

DougDogs
08-30-2002, 08:03 AM
My "guess" would be type 2 , but you should be able to get the correct answer with a phone call to service dept.

How did the "test" go???

Ack
08-30-2002, 08:47 AM
I'm going to test this morning while I detail the car. I just want to make sure what type of battery it is before moving ahead. I'll be spending a few hours on the car so this should allow ample time for the battery to wear down a bit.

I'll let you know how it goes in a few hours.

I'm going to call the serv. dept. now.

Thanks Doug! :D

Josh (PA)
08-30-2002, 09:28 AM
We have type 2.

type 1 are power supply backup batteries (for teleco, UPS systems, etc.)

type 2 are automobile batteries usually still AGM, round cells or occasionally wet cells.

type 3 are wet cells (as in lead acid with outgassing with water adiotion needed occasionally)

Ack
08-30-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)
We have type 2.

Thanks Doug and Josh! :thumbup: The service dept. at BMW confirms this.

Well I just finished detailing the car and I'm now finishing packing car supplies and clothes for the weekend. I'll probably be leaving in another hour or so (need to clean up myself and pack up the car).

I'll let you guys know how the show went and I'll post some pictures.

johnlew
08-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Ack

Thanks Doug and Josh! :thumbup: The service dept. at BMW confirms this.

Well I just finished detailing the car and I'm not finishing packing car supplies and clothes for the weekend. I'll probably be leaving in another hour or so (need to clean up myself and pack up the car).

I'll let you guys know how the show went and I'll post some pictures.

Good luck!