PDA

View Full Version : Alpine MP3/CD player installation questions

James2008
10-04-2005, 03:11 PM
I am going to take the plunge soon and purchase all the parts below to install an aftermarket CD system into my 2002 540i. Before I do that I would like to get some feedback from the members here about the parts list below and some of their experiences of performing this CD install on a DSP equipped car.

Keep in mind this list is for an Alpine system.

Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc CD/MP3 Changer
Alpine KCA-130B Ai-NET to M-Bus Adapter cable

Option 1:
Soundgate BMWDSP BMW DSP Adapter
Soundgate ABMW35V5 BMW-to-Alpine CD Changer Interface

Option 2 for DSP adaption:
Blitzsafe BMW/ALP DMX V.1DSP BMW w/DSP-to-Alpine CD Changer Interface

BMW mounting bracket:
Part # 82 11 1 469 911 [Sedan] * I have the sedan
Part # 82 11 1 470 437 [Wagon]

My questions:

1. Do I require anything else for me to install this system?
2. Where is the best place to buy the electronics? I went to www.logjamelectronics.com first. What would the members here recommend?
3. Does anybody like the Blitzsafe over the Soundgate adapter units better? Option 1 versus Option 2 for DSP adaption?
4. Does the MP3 song name show up on the display of the stereo unit when a song is playing?

jacobriversiii
10-05-2005, 06:19 AM
I installed the blitzsafe option and it works very well. The sound is normalized correctly. The only issue that I have is there is no ID3 tag on the display, nor does the device allow you to play more than 100 tracks on a particular mp3 cd (it ignores all tracks after that.) I read that blitzsafe would be updating there product so both of these options would be available, but I am not sure if that has happened yet.

You won't requite any additional parts besides what you have listed as your purchase options.

All in all a solid product with good sound quality for simply adding to the factory radio. If you choose to also use the extra rca input, to switch between them, hit track forward then track backward quickly. I found the instructions weren't quite clear about that.

Good luck on your install.

James2008
10-06-2005, 08:35 AM
I looked at the PhatNoise setup and thought it would be a good solution as well.

Anybody using an iPod on a DSP system instead of a CD changer?

ZBB 325Ci
10-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Anybody using an iPod on a DSP system instead of a CD changer?

I was going to suggest the iPod route, especially if you already have an iPod...

I have an '03 530i w/ DSP. I finally got the Dension ICE Link w/ DSP adapter hooked up in mid-August (long story, but the first ICE Link kit I bought was defective, I was travelling a lot for work, Dension replaced the kit, so it took me about 6 weeks to get it installed). I love the setup and listening to the iPod with artist and song info displayed on the stereo readout line. Its not quite flawless (hiccups every once in a while), but it works good enough for me.

The interface is very well done -- buttons 1-5 select the first 5 playlists, and 6 brings up the Dension menu (if you have text enabled, it displays on the stereo). In the Dension menu, you can select any playlist, song, album, artist (although it takes a while to find specific artists or albums when you have over 7,000 songs on the iPod). You can also change the Dension settings in this menu.

If you go this route, I highly recommend ordering directly from Dension -- the kit avail at Best Buy is only the standard kit and they don't carry the DSP adapter. As far as installing it, you will need to tap into power for the DSP adapter (its actually a ~$15 Radio Shack part with custom cables from Dension). I tapped into an unused opening on the fuse box on the passenger side of the trunk. The other tricky part of the install was hooking the coax into amplifier -- the instructions don't tell you what to do, but you have to unscrew the stock coax cable (if you have one -- my car is CPO and I think the previous owner had the stock CD changer installed, but took it out before trading the car). The coax from Dension will then screw right in. I then ran the cable up to the front, going through the wire harness opening in the back seat bulkhead, along the door (under the trim), under the drivers' seat and into the center console. I mounted the cradle in the useless small cubby infront of the arm rest -- if you cut the back of the cubby out, the door will close if the iPod is not in there. With the door open, the iPod sticks out a couple inches. I just take the iPod with me when I park, but you'd never know it was installed when the cubby slider is closed.

I also have the XM Direct adapter (plugs into the stock Sirius prewiring avail on '03 E39s). The XM Direct Blitzsafe adapter has 2 versions, one with and one without CD Changer pass-through. If you have the one with the passthrough, you can use it to power the Dension ICE Link. With DSP, you don't need the audio piece of the passthrough, since the CD Audio (well, iPod now) goes through the DSP system.

Overall both XM and iPod work great and I highly recommend going this route instead of a CD Changer.

James2008
10-10-2005, 04:45 PM
If you go this route, I highly recommend ordering directly from Dension -- the kit avail at Best Buy is only the standard kit and they don't carry the DSP adapter. As far as installing it, you will need to tap into power for the DSP adapter (its actually a ~$15 Radio Shack part with custom cables from Dension). I tapped into an unused opening on the fuse box on the passenger side of the trunk.

Do you have the part number for this Radio Shack part?

Could I not just plug the DSP adapter into the power plug where the fackory BMW player went?

Any chance you have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks for your repsonse as it was very helpful.

ZBB 325Ci
10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Do you have the part number for this Fadio Shack part?

Could I not just plug the DSP adapter into the power plug where the fackory BMW player went?

Any chance you have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks for your repsonse as it was very helpful.

I don't have the part number... When I got the one from Dension and saw the Radio Shack logo, I was a bit annoyed. But you're really paying for the custom cables. And that was worth it for me.

I couldn't figure out an easy way of keeping the wire connected to the the BMW CD changer power cable. Instead, I plugged the positive into one of the empty fuse slots that is switchable (plus the DSP adapter has an in-line fuse in it -- so I just went straight in to the empty fuse slot), and screwed the negative to a ground screw nearby. Only took a couple minutes, including hiding the wire above the trunk liner

Good luck!