PDA

View Full Version : Help...again

CC737
10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm -kinda- considering buying an '03 M3 with 70,000 miles.

To buy or not to buy, that is the question?

If I do, what should I look for on a walk/drive around that might indicate possible future major issues? Or might give me insight into why someone got rid of their car. :dunno:

Thanks in advance,
CC

Hercules
10-04-2005, 06:20 PM

If I do, what should I look for on a walk/drive around that might indicate possible future major issues? Or might give me insight into why someone got rid of their car. :dunno:

Thanks in advance,
CC
70,000 miles is a lot of miles for an 03... me personally... I'd run away from that. I get kinda iffy at 50k on JAPO cars, German cars.... nononononononono thanks :)

27rotax
10-04-2005, 08:26 PM
I recently bought an '01 with 62,000 on the clock. I think you should expect that the car will need some t.l.c. at that mileage (as mine did), but it's probably not something that can't be overcome. I'd be very careful inspecting it....has the motor been done? Is it one of the affected cars? Also, when was the last maintenance inspection done? They can be pretty pricey. You can probably expect to be putting some money in to make the car "right." My car has probably seen a hard life, but I don't regret buying it for a second!....Good luck with your search!

GregW in Oregon
10-04-2005, 08:43 PM
I recently bought an '01 with 62,000 on the clock. I think you should expect that the car will need some t.l.c. at that mileage (as mine did), but it's probably not something that can't be overcome. I'd be very careful inspecting it....has the motor been done? Is it one of the affected cars? Also, when was the last maintenance inspection done? They can be pretty pricey. You can probably expect to be putting some money in to make the car "right." My car has probably seen a hard life, but I don't regret buying it for a second!....Good luck with your search!
I agree--to get that many miles in a couple years means they're mainly highway miles, which are not as hard on the car as urban driving. Carefully check the maintenance records (it has them, right?) and expect a good discount for the mileage. If hwy. the clutch should last at least 100k. I would have it checked over by an independent mechanic for brakes, shocks, and other issues.

mtbscott
10-05-2005, 07:22 AM
My 2003 just passed 50K miles this weekend. You would be hard pressed looking at it to think anything but "what a clean car." I have had all oil services, Inspections I and II, fresh tires, only a couple of very minor service issues. My car has the CPO warranty and I sprang for the extended maintenance package before the original expired. I plan on keeping it but would have no qualms selling it if I needed to, its mileage doesn't make it damaged goods. As long as the car you are looking at has proper service records and is cosmetically sound, I wouldn't write it off just because of the high mileage. Just make sure the price is commiserate with the mileage, I would guess $32-35K.

sfca-325i
10-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Just make sure the price is commiserate with the mileage, I would guess $32-35K.

Exactly right. Nothing wrong with a high mileage car, except that you should be prepared to spend more for repairs. The offset should be a low cost to get into the car. If you have the financial flexibility to pay more for a low mileage car or the car comes with CPO extended warranty and you can add an extended maintenance, then it may not be a bad deal, at all.

tmon25
11-03-2005, 11:57 AM

Don't mean to hi-jack thread

Did u get this car from planet automall in Queens?

liuk3
11-03-2005, 11:59 AM

Thanks in advance,
CC

depends on the price. what are they asking?

trentmw
11-03-2005, 04:01 PM
take it to a trusted BMW dealer in the area for an inspection and a vehicle maintenance history so you know how well the car has been maintained and what problems it had (if they took it to the dealer, which they would for atleast the first 50K miles)

TR_BIMMER79
11-03-2005, 06:17 PM
I just bought a 01' with a good amount of options for 35,000$ and 23k on the odo.They also cpo'd it for me which is like a intense inspection 2....so my point is,keep looking and don't be a "impulse buyer".good luck