PDA

View Full Version : Brake Force Display

ChrisTO
08-30-2002, 10:51 AM
anyone know a link off the BMW website showing this great technology? the only picture i could find is off this web site.

http://www.auto-innovations.com/en/gsafety-b.html

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ChrisTO
anyone know a link off the BMW website showing this great technology? the only picture i could find is off this web site.

Isn't that one of the new features on the e65..? Get behind one and find out... :dunno:

The HACK
08-30-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Chris330ci

Isn't that one of the new features on the e65..? Get behind one and find out... :dunno:

Available now on 2003 X5s as well

ChrisTO
08-30-2002, 11:16 AM
does BMW even advertise this as yet another passive safety feature in their cars?

i wonder if they patented the idea.

Originally posted by The HACK

Available now on 2003 X5s as well

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 11:19 AM
As long as they don't start blinking like the new Ford SUV's do. GD is that annoying..! :mad:

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-30-2002, 11:19 AM
Is that a continuous function or discrete? Meaning if the light intensity is a continuous function of the linearity (or non-linearity) of the force on the brake pedal?

Rather than, if force of between X and Y, light intensity A; force between Y and Z, light intensity B...etc.

Am I confusing pple here?:dunno:

If it's the former, I'd say it's quite an invention!

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Is that a continuous function or discrete? Meaning if the light intensity is a continuous function of the linearity (or non-linearity) of the force on the brake pedal?

Rather than, if force of between X and Y, light intensity A; force between Y and Z, light intensity B...etc.

:confused: From what I understand, the brightness of the lights increases as the brake pedal force increases...

The HACK
08-30-2002, 11:25 AM
I believe there's only really two settings: a) Normal braking and b) Oh-****-weregoingtodie. When you STAB at the brake HARD it'll shine a little brighter. :dunno:

ChrisTO
08-30-2002, 11:25 AM
well it depends. if there are multiple bulbs inside it would have to be discrete. but if it's a single bulb that varies in intensity it could be continuous.

actually i'm quite disappointed that BMW is now offering this. i was actually thinking about doing a study/'inventing' this form of active brake lights for my master thesis.

i figured the idea was too simple for someone not to have thought of it before me. any suggestions for another topic?

bren
08-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Maybe it's just me but I think the brake lights should be as bright as they can be whenever I am on the brakes...

How does the guy behind me know if my lights are brighter than normal?

:dunno:

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Masters thesis??? :p That was so OVER for me...phew. :D

Did you subscribe to Automotive Engineering magazine by SAE? That should give you a headstart for what's coming out or out already.

well it depends. if there are multiple bulbs inside it would have to be discrete. but if it's a single bulb that varies in intensity it could be continuous.

actually i'm quite disappointed that BMW is now offering this. i was actually thinking about doing a study/'inventing' this form of active brake lights for my master thesis.

i figured the idea was too simple for someone not to have thought of it before me. any suggestions for another topic?

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by bren
Maybe it's just me but I think the brake lights should be as bright as they can be whenever I am on the brakes...

How does the guy behind me know if my lights are brighter than normal?

:dunno:

I'm with you. Brake lights should be bright at all times. Most people pay little attention as is. What if a bulb blows..? The guy behind you is now a passenger in your back seat if you brake hard.

ChrisTO
08-30-2002, 11:38 AM
i used to subscribe to SAE. but like most people you never have the time to read every issue. figured my money could be better spent elsewhere and i could always search on their website for specific topics.

Masters thesis??? :p That was so OVER for me...phew. :D

Did you subscribe to Automotive Engineering magazine by SAE? That should give you a headstart for what's coming out or out already.

Jspeed
08-30-2002, 11:40 AM
The "level 1" brake light intensity on the new 7 is just as bright as other models. "Level 2" simply engages the two strips on the trunk lid in addition to the normal brake lights.

Josh (PA)
08-30-2002, 11:42 AM
I believe the 7 has LED brake lights because they illuminate a few thousandths of a second quicker than incandecsant ones. Also I know the lights on the rear end of the 7 are smart enough to know if a lamp is burned out, other lights in the same cluster will take on the function of the burned out one. I.E. the brake light will flash for a turn signal, a parking light will illuminate for a brake light, etc...

ChrisTO
08-30-2002, 11:45 AM
well here's the thinking behind why you want to vary the intensity of the brake lights. when you are driving at night on a highway(freeway for you US folks :) ) and the car in front brakes you really have no idea if they are just braking softly to adjust speed to slowing traffic or if they just threw out the anchor and come to a complete stop.

the only way a following driver can discern between these two scenarios today is based on how far apart the distance between the two tail lights are seperating. basic high school geometry that i wouldn't get into.

now imagine if you are not following a car but a motorcycle. even worse. you have no frame of reference to judge if said driver is just adjusting their speed or fully stopped.

in europe i think u'll find most drivers actually put on their hazards when they are braking hard. at autobahn speeds it's a bit late when you realize that the person ur following has come to a complete stop. here in NA where speeds are more tame this is not as big of an issue. but a NHTSA report shows that the number of rear collisions is still very high, in the millions, and they are trying to come up with ways to reduce the number of RE collions. so far most reports/studies focus on active cruise control. very expensive technology and far from easy to implement. this form of communication through a brake light is simple and probably very cost effective to implement.

Originally posted by Chris330ci

I'm with you. Brake lights should be bright at all times. Most people pay little attention as is. What if a bulb blows..? The guy behind you is now a passenger in your back seat if you brake hard.

rost12
08-30-2002, 11:50 AM

I don't thing E65 has this tech.
AFAIK, there are separate light clusters on the trunk lid (left and right of the license plate) that will light up if ABS is functioning or if the brakes are used to the fullest extent. Brake lights don't change their intesity on E65.

ChrisTO
08-30-2002, 11:58 AM
will you have the E65 tonight? would love to see this varying brake lights...err...brake force display.

Originally posted by rost12

I don't thing E65 has this tech.
AFAIK, there are separate light clusters on the trunk lid (left and right of the license plate) that will light up if ABS is functioning or if the brakes are used to the fullest extent. Brake lights don't change their intesity on E65.

rost12
08-30-2002, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure :( My father wasn't very pleased with my driving this morning...
I'll try, that's for sure.

ChrisTO
08-30-2002, 12:27 PM
being the atypical BMW driver and driving aggressively?

I'm not sure :( My father wasn't very pleased with my driving this morning...
I'll try, that's for sure.

rost12
08-30-2002, 12:30 PM
Sorta.
I just get very angry when people around me don't drive "efficiently".
And when I get angry I become that dreaded typical BMW driver...

Anyhow, he said "yes"! :) Guess I'm not that bad :)

So, are we just gonna meet at the place or what?

in_d_haus
08-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by The HACK
I believe there's only really two settings: a) Normal braking and b) Oh-****-weregoingtodie. When you STAB at the brake HARD it'll shine a little brighter. :dunno:

So street braking and track braking :D

ChrisTO
08-30-2002, 12:49 PM
i'll be waiting for Ack to call me when he's ready to split from the centre.

we could probably all head out for dinner as well. check ur PM in a few minutes.

Sorta.
I just get very angry when people around me don't drive "efficiently".
And when I get angry I become that dreaded typical BMW driver...

Anyhow, he said "yes"! :) Guess I'm not that bad :)

So, are we just gonna meet at the place or what?

bren
08-30-2002, 01:23 PM
well here's the thinking behind why you want to vary the intensity of the brake lights. when you are driving at night on a highway(freeway for you US folks :) ) and the car in front brakes you really have no idea if they are just braking softly to adjust speed to slowing traffic or if they just threw out the anchor and come to a complete stop.

the only way a following driver can discern between these two scenarios today is based on how far apart the distance between the two tail lights are seperating. basic high school geometry that i wouldn't get into.

now imagine if you are not following a car but a motorcycle. even worse. you have no frame of reference to judge if said driver is just adjusting their speed or fully stopped.

in europe i think u'll find most drivers actually put on their hazards when they are braking hard. at autobahn speeds it's a bit late when you realize that the person ur following has come to a complete stop. here in NA where speeds are more tame this is not as big of an issue. but a NHTSA report shows that the number of rear collisions is still very high, in the millions, and they are trying to come up with ways to reduce the number of RE collions. so far most reports/studies focus on active cruise control. very expensive technology and far from easy to implement. this form of communication through a brake light is simple and probably very cost effective to implement.

I still don't see the point in the 'brighter' lights. How will the person coming up on traffic in your scenario know that your lights are more intensly lit than during 'regular' braking?

I think turning on your hazards is a much better idea. Why don't they make the hazards come on during hard braking? (hey I think we are on to something here)

ChrisTO
09-03-2002, 03:12 PM
there's probably 4 different ways of communicating brake force to the following driver.

- blink the lights in varying frequency. faster = harder braking
- intensity of lights
- position of lights in a light bar for instance
- or any combination of the above

but i'm sure there are laws governing any of the above, including size/intensity/colour of the lights. if they are so picky about clear corner lenses on coupes you can imagine for something safety related it will be under a microscope before it will be accepted.

definitely a good idea to use those hazard lights especially if ur on a motorcycle with a single brake light.

I still don't see the point in the 'brighter' lights. How will the person coming up on traffic in your scenario know that your lights are more intensly lit than during 'regular' braking?

I think turning on your hazards is a much better idea. Why don't they make the hazards come on during hard braking? (hey I think we are on to something here)

Kaz
09-03-2002, 04:04 PM

I've seen this done in Europe but I would think it'd be illegal in (some parts?) the US, since its not appropriate use of the hazards under some laws.

LMC
09-03-2002, 06:25 PM
July 1982 advertisement in Cycle magazine:

"More than a Brake Light. Cyberlite. The Ultimate Brake Light"

"This modulated light works in parallel with your standard brake light. The harder you brake (1) the faster Cyberlite pulses, (2) the shorter the on-time of each light pulse, and (3) the more brilliant each light pulse becomes."

"Effectiveness verified by 19.5 million miles of testing.
In a controlled, eleven-month, 19.5 million split-sample test on 500 Yellow Cabs in San Francisco... found that the rear-end collision rate was reduced by 60% for Cyberlite-equipped cabs..."

List $125, advertised for motorcycles.

ChrisTO
09-04-2002, 08:27 AM
1982 ad? u keep all ur magazines that handy?

i guess there is no weblink back then on the ad? :)

thx for the info.

Originally posted by LMC
July 1982 advertisement in Cycle magazine:

"More than a Brake Light. Cyberlite. The Ultimate Brake Light"

"This modulated light works in parallel with your standard brake light. The harder you brake (1) the faster Cyberlite pulses, (2) the shorter the on-time of each light pulse, and (3) the more brilliant each light pulse becomes."

"Effectiveness verified by 19.5 million miles of testing.
In a controlled, eleven-month, 19.5 million split-sample test on 500 Yellow Cabs in San Francisco... found that the rear-end collision rate was reduced by 60% for Cyberlite-equipped cabs..."

List $125, advertised for motorcycles.

ChrisTO
12-25-2002, 08:24 PM
to bring up an old topic...BMW discretely 'talks' about this form of active brake lights.

http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index.html?http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_bmwgroup_com/7_innovation/7_1_visionen/7_1_2_connecteddrive/7_1_2_3_fahrerassistenz_systeme/7_1_2_3_2_brake_force_display.shtml?7_1

doeboy
12-25-2002, 10:06 PM
Hmm... I just noticed this....

Brake Force Display abbreviated...... "BFD"? :lmao: