PDA

View Full Version : Is stuttering normal? (Need reply ASAP)

Scorp1us
10-05-2005, 09:34 AM
I had an issue with stuttering and the dealer loaded new SW. With the new software is loaded it still stutters in the AM. The dealer has called me back stating that the stuttering that I experience when it sits overnight is 'normal' due to the M engine, and they don't intend to fix it. I've cold-driven other M3s and never noticed it.

Do any of you experience stuttering in coloer climates? it's been in the 50s-60s here at night lately. Is this BS or normal?

By stuttering I mean momentary power drop-offs enough to shake you when holding the throttle steady or accelerating. I can't beleive that with all the research I've done this has never been mentioned.

I am supposed to pick up the car later today, which is why I put ASAP in the title.

bren
10-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Stumbling while you are on the gas is not normal. Some stuttering/stumbling/rough idle on start-up is nothing to be concerned about.

edit: is the car SMG?

Scorp1us
10-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Stumbling while you are on the gas is not normal. Some stuttering/stumbling/rough idle on start-up is nothing to be concerned about.

edit: is the car SMG?

No, stick.
It happens not at idle - it seems to idle fine - but I'll be accelerating and itll happen, or I'll be cruising along between 2-4k and it'll stumble' The revlimiter is backed fown to 1 oragane and 2 red, engine temp is not cold. It happens for a few miles (the other day it happened for 30 mile sbefore the software update)

On startup, i can hear it rev higher and lower, but that doesn't cause any loss of power. This is full on power stoppage while driving. It is just long enough to cut out and come back on. (.5 sec?)

bren
10-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Have them check the ignition coils.

Scorp1us
10-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Have them check the ignition coils.
I figure those or the fuel pump.
Any idea if misfires that don't generate a SES light are reported?
(And stored in volitile memory - meaning when the car is off they are cleared)

SIB:
http://www.thatsoundsagoodidea.com/bmw/bmw_e46_m3_bulletins_120204.pdf

bren
10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
I figure those or the fuel pump.
Any idea if misfires that don't generate a SES light are reported?
(And stored in volitile memory - meaning when the car is off they are cleared)

SIB:
http://www.thatsoundsagoodidea.com/bmw/bmw_e46_m3_bulletins_120204.pdf
I don't know how the errors are recorded or if they even are if the SES doesn't go off. I mentioned the coils because I know BMW has been replacing them on many cars. I would at least have them check the dates against those in that bulletin.

Pinecone
10-05-2005, 04:40 PM
I think there is a service bulletin on the coils for certain years and VIN range.

Scorp1us
10-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Well the dealer is giving me problems for it. I went in there with the SIB and told them that is what I wanted to have done. They pushed back saying "if there is no SES light ... and no codes ... "

Tomorrow I am meeting them bright an early for a morning drive.

I want the coils replaced, and the fuel pump if the coils don't fix it.

They don't even have to pay - its under a 3rd party extended warrenty! :mad:

bren
10-05-2005, 06:32 PM
They don't even have to pay - its under a 3rd party extended warrenty! :mad:
That doesn't necessarily make things easier....and since this is the case you might want to try an independent shop.

I'm not sure if they have the latest computers to diag. modern cars but this shop comes highly recommended and it's not far from you.

Blue Ridge Sports Cars
1796 Union Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21211
410-662-4746
Owner: Don Miller

edit: Judging by your location I'd recommend you try another area dealer (you are using Towson right?)....I go to Russel over in Catonsville.

Scorp1us
10-06-2005, 06:03 AM
Update after morning drive with dealer:
They describe it as a 'hole' at 5k, even though it is intermittent. I had only 1 good acceleration run from stop to about near readline for the 7 miles that I drive it. It smoothed out from a jerk to a hole after temps got above the 1st dot. While below the dot the whole RPM range was affected. It is now confirmed and they are putting a different mechanic on it. It's not everytime at 5k, but each time we noticed it and 5k was the most common point.

*I* now suspect the fuel pump. I think it has to deal with it responding to the drop in pressure from fueling the acceleration - that it can't keep up with demand. As soon as I go WOT preddure drops. it comes on, but can't build the pressure up in time. It doesn't quite explain my cruising issue, but I venture to say it's probably related.

tony(topaz,SMG)
10-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Any more updates on this?

randya
10-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I have the 97 540i and it is getting worse.....even warm from a stop...
So I asked the repar folks at the dealer and they said "Carbon Build-up". I asked what the cause and they said bad gas... I asked what gas I should use they did not know...

I asked how to clean that out and they did not know...

..then they offered to sell me a new car......

Where can I find a real machanic.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warhog1978
10-12-2005, 09:56 AM
when you start it in the morning and you press the gas do the rpms drop and it doesn't move for a couple of mins. I work for BMW and we can't figure out what cause that its not the fuel pump or coils

SofaKing
10-14-2005, 12:58 PM
I have an 04 e46 6000 miles and when i start it cold in the mornings it idols bad and i have not been able to get any answers why from the dealers except upgrade the software.

bren
10-14-2005, 04:39 PM
I have an 04 e46 6000 miles and when i start it cold in the mornings it idols bad and i have not been able to get any answers why from the dealers except upgrade the software.
That's probably because it's perfectly normal.

Scorp1us
10-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Ok, so here is the deal:
It turned out to be the relay and/or a fuel pressure control unit. Apearently, the M3 uses 2 fuel pressures, and my unit was flipping down into low pressure in the middle of high pressure, then immedialtely picking back up at high pressure. The units were replaced and it runs fine now.

orangebook
11-19-2005, 05:35 AM
i'm experiencing similar problems with a 2000 528i with 120,000 miles...not sure what to do

tony(topaz,SMG)
11-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Scorp1us:

Any more details on where the relay and pressure control unit are located?