PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment

jayf
10-05-2005, 08:17 PM
According to the manual, we are supposed to adjust our valves every inspection. This is a full day job for the stealer. In fact, the first time they did it, it took two days because they did not have the tools or shims in stock (believe it or not) I have not done it since because the engine runs like a top and there is no noiseand I am out of free maintenance. And I can't see paying about $500 for it to be done all the time. Am I ruining my engine? Or is it an ain't broke - don't fix situation?

Pinecone
10-06-2005, 03:27 AM
They need to be checked every so often. Only adjusted if they are out of adjustment.

So yes, you are likely to cause damage by not having them checked.

27rotax
10-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Has anybody actually adjusted valves on the s54 themselves? The new Bentley manual lists the procedure (with lots of "cautions"!)..... I'm not sure whether I'm brave enough to try at the next inspection. Although, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to measure the clearances and if they need adjustment, leave that to the dealer....
...imagine the horror of dropping a shim!

99flhr
10-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Has anybody actually adjusted valves on the s54 themselves? The new Bentley manual lists the procedure (with lots of "cautions"!)..... I'm not sure whether I'm brave enough to try at the next inspection. Although, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to measure the clearances and if they need adjustment, leave that to the dealer....

Ron Stygar (Z3 forum guru) has done it and given details. :)

jayf
10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Is there a link to the step by step instruction by Mr. Stygar?

GregW in Oregon
10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Also, there are so many different size shims, and so many of them, that getting the proper ones may be difficult without the parts department next door.

Pinecone
10-08-2005, 03:25 AM
YOu COULD take it apart, measure, remove the shims to figure ot which ones you need (only on the ones needing adjustment), then tgake other car to parts department, buy/order shims, wait 2 - 3 days, go back to pick them up, then reassemble your car.

Oh, and I hope you made good notes since by the time you get back with the shims, you will have forgotten which shim goes where. :)