PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use racers tape?

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 04:04 PM
I will be applying some tomorrow to my fogs and headlights. I also want to tape up the lower lip on the air dam and portions of the fenders. Anybody have experience using the tape? Will it leave behind any residue on the paint when I take it off? My car is filthy, it is raining, and I will probably have to tape it up when it's wet. Trying to decide whether to leave the painted portions alone or not. :dunno:

ayn
08-30-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Chris330ci
I will be applying some tomorrow to my fogs and headlights. I also want to tape up the lower lip on the air dam and portions of the fenders. Anybody have experience using the tape? Will it leave behind any residue on the paint when I take it off? My car is filthy, it is raining, and I will probably have to tape it up when it's wet. Trying to decide whether to leave the painted portions alone or not. :dunno:

i use racer tape, and they came off clean all the time, no residue.

nate
08-30-2002, 04:47 PM
I have so many chips and pits, I don't think it matters anymore

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

:cry: That's what I'm trying to avoid. Black is a PITA sometimes.

Thanks Andrew-
Glad to hear it comes off without leaving any residue. :thumbup:

in_d_haus
08-30-2002, 05:56 PM
It's popular at our track events, anybody got a good source for it?

johnlew
08-30-2002, 05:58 PM

Black is a PITA sometimes.

Nope.

All the time. ;)

geomax
08-30-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

No kidding - I've noticed last time I washed the car that the front of the car around the grill area looks like it's been sandblasted. Paint chips very easily...or perhaps it's just more noticable on darker colors....

Raffi
08-30-2002, 06:18 PM
Just use the blue painters tape available at any home improvement store - it's about $2 for a big roll that lasts several track events. It comes off very easily without leaving any residue.

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

I got mine here: OG Racing (https://www.ogracing.com/ogshell/loadpage.pl?875427+catpit2.html)

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by johnlew

Nope.

All the time. ;)

Ha ha...very funny. :flipoff: :angel:

johnlew
08-30-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

Hey Indy, Jon gives great Avatar service, eh?

johnlew
08-30-2002, 06:27 PM

Ha ha...very funny. :flipoff: :angel:

Not to hijack the thread, but this is the source of my blackaphobia. It's been my free time for detailing for three days.

Detailing the Olds (http://home.wi.rr.com/bmw330cic/Olds.htm)

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 07:07 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but this is the source of my blackaphobia. It's been my free time for detailing for three days.

Detailing the Olds (http://home.wi.rr.com/bmw330cic/Olds.htm)

Contrary to my anti-hijack ideals, I guess it's ok to hijack my own thread. The Olds looks great!

johnlew
08-30-2002, 07:11 PM

Contrary to my anti-hijack ideals, I guess it's ok to hijack my own thread. The Olds looks great!

Now all I need is someone to come look at it. I got my buddy's $58k 2001 740I sport sold for him this week. Hope I have the same luck.

GalBimmer
08-30-2002, 07:12 PM
My experience has been that the tape comes off nicely. You're going to have to come to grips with the paint chips now that you're hitting the track.

Can you handle it?

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 07:17 PM

Now all I need is someone to come look at it. I got my buddy's $58k 2001 740I sport sold for him this week. Hope I have the same luck.

That sounds like an easy sell. I love the 740i Sport. Black? Silver? Those are by far my favorites colors. Just target the right audience and the Olds should be gone in no time.

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by GalBimmer
My experience has been that the tape comes off nicely. You're going to have to come to grips with the paint chips now that you're hitting the track.

Can you handle it?

My car is disgustingly dirty. I went out to check my tire pressure and it was just that nasty mist outside. I don't think paint chips will bother me at this point. Maybe I'll tape up the whole car..? ;)

johnlew
08-30-2002, 07:21 PM

That sounds like an easy sell. I love the 740i Sport. Black? Silver? Those are by far my favorites colors.

Biarritz blue with sand. Gorgeous.

johnlew
08-30-2002, 07:22 PM

Just target the right audience and the Olds should be gone in no time.

I thought I did by posting it here! :lmao:

P.S. So many people looking at it now that you can't even access the page.

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 07:22 PM

Biarritz blue with sand. Gorgeous.

Hmmm...never heard of that color but I think I can picture it. Nice.

johnlew
08-30-2002, 07:23 PM

Hmmm...never heard of that color but I think I can picture it. Nice.

Between Topaz and Orient.

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 07:23 PM

I thought I did by posting it here! :lmao:

P.S. So many people looking at it now that you can't even access the page.

The Olds..?! :lmao: Maybe you can sell it by morning..?

GalBimmer
08-30-2002, 07:25 PM

My car is disgustingly dirty. I went out to check my tire pressure and it was just that nasty mist outside. I don't think paint chips will bother me at this point. Maybe I'll tape up the whole car..? ;)

You're kidding, right? I don't even want to be near you when you detail your car next time - won't be a pretty scene... You're way too picky about the ride - I vote for full frontal tapeage.

johnlew
08-30-2002, 07:25 PM

The Olds..?! :lmao: Maybe you can sell it by morning..?

I'm going to try to convince Jon to give you an avatar if you buy it. ;)

scottn2retro
08-31-2002, 08:29 AM

I got mine here: OG Racing (https://www.ogracing.com/ogshell/loadpage.pl?875427+catpit2.html)

I like the fact that they have more than 1 color. All Home Depot has is light blue. (I would like to use red :) )

Raffi
08-31-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by scottn2retro

I like the fact that they have more than 1 color. All Home Depot has is light blue. (I would like to use red :) )

What's with your obsession of red? :dunno: :dunno: :lmao: :lmao: :angel:

scottn2retro
08-31-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Raffi

What's with your obsession of red? :dunno: :dunno: :lmao: :lmao: :angel:

Ask the honies at Willow Ranch - track cars look hotter with red racers tape :p

But for you Raffi, they also have green, yellow and purple :lmao: :angel:

But seriously, how is that price of $7 for 2" x 180' compared to Home Depot?

Chris330Ci
08-31-2002, 05:19 PM

Ask the honies at Willow Ranch - track cars look hotter with red racers tape :p

But for you Raffi, they also have green, yellow and purple :lmao: :angel:

But seriously, how is that price of $7 for 2" x 180' compared to Home Depot?

You got a problem with yellow..? These are from today. What an absolute nightmare as far as conditions were concerned. It rained all day and the infield was full of puddles, but we ran anyway. Here's my car and GalBimmers' Z3. I might do a brief write up later. Mustang events are always interesting... :tsk: :D

http://www.spinningloft.com/bimmerfest/lms/DSC00518.jpg

http://www.spinningloft.com/bimmerfest/lms/DSC00523.jpg

DougDogs
08-31-2002, 05:25 PM
Chris, I see from your pictures, it wasn't the nicest day today:thumbdwn:

but how did the event go?????

scottn2retro
08-31-2002, 05:31 PM

You got a problem with yellow..?

I have no problem with any one color. I just thought Raffi might like the yellow, green, purple combo :D

I like the idea of having different colors available. At an LA autoX, someone had what was primarily a race car, but drove it to the event. This person used race tape that was similar to the car color (in this case black), to cover the decals and what not all over the car so it wouldn't stand out too much.

I'll run by HD on the way home for a price comparison to OG Racing. :)

Mustang events interesting? - I still remember that Mustang into the tree at the AutoX :tsk:

Chris330Ci
08-31-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by DougDogs
Chris, I see from your pictures, it wasn't the nicest day today:thumbdwn:

but how did the event go?????

It was already raining when I got up at 5:50am and it just let up within the hour. :thumbdwn: I know we need rain, but today..? :dunno: :angel:

Anyway, overall the event went very well. This was my first official track event and I managed to move out of the beginner group to the intermediate class before the day was over. :thumbup: Granted this is Mustang territory not BMW CCA. Either way, I was pretty happy with myself.

Coincidentally, one of the few other BMW drivers there turned out to be the guy who runs the CCA schools for the Sandlapper Chapter (South Carolina). He's an instructor for them and he jumped in with me on my first go round and then a couple times a little later. The tips and pointers he gave on lines, turn in points, brake points, etc. were invaluable.

I had a feeling by the end of the day that many of the Pony boys were not to happy with the jerk in the 'Beemer' who keeps passing everyone..! :D As usual, I have alot of it on video and some pictures. Again, I may post a better write up later. Right now, I'm beat and my head hurts from the damn helmet!

Chris330Ci
08-31-2002, 05:45 PM

Mustang events interesting - I still remember that Mustang into the tree at the AutoX :tsk:

:lmao: I still have that video on my site somewhere. I had two bozos spin out right in front of me today. Duh! Rain, speed, and corners do not mix. :tsk: So many of them were clueless when it came to navigating the track, almost pathetically so. 'Straight liners' is their motto, I think. I'll post a write up tomorrow...need to let everything sink in. :D

scottn2retro
08-31-2002, 05:57 PM

:lmao: I still have that video on my site somewhere. I had two bozos spin out right in front of me today. Duh! Rain, speed, and corners do not mix. :tsk: So many of them were clueless when it came to navigating the track, almost pathetically so. 'Straight liners' is their motto, I think. I'll post a write up tomorrow...need to let everything sink in. :D

:lmao:

I would imagine the rain gave you and your 3 series even more of an advantage than you'd have normally. :)

Chris330Ci
08-31-2002, 06:43 PM

:lmao:

I would imagine the rain gave you and your 3 series even more of an advantage than you'd have normally. :)

Yup and that gives me an idea for a new avatar or sig! :D I will have to post it tomorrow. I am whipped and am going to bed. 9:45 on a Saturday... :rolleyes:

scottn2retro
09-01-2002, 03:22 PM
nice tape job :D

Raffi
09-01-2002, 04:00 PM

I have no problem with any one color. I just thought Raffi might like the yellow, green, purple combo :D

:flipoff: :angel:

BTW, that was the E30 M3 of Blaine and Robyn McNutt - they had covered the sponsor stickers when they had to drive up to the Bay Area to go to the Dinan shop for some suspension work. They rightfully did not want to be hassled by you know who! :D

scottn2retro
09-01-2002, 04:16 PM

:flipoff: :angel:

But Raffi, the honies at Willow Ranch may find that color combo as appealing as red! :angel:

Raffi
09-01-2002, 04:19 PM

But Raffi, the honies at Willow Ranch may find that color combo as appealing as red! :angel:

Still :flipoff: :angel:

We shall see about those babes at the end of the month...:bigpimp:

scottn2retro
09-01-2002, 04:26 PM

Still :flipoff: :angel:

We shall see about those babes at the end of the month...:bigpimp:

:lmao: :lmao: :angel:

scottn2retro
09-04-2002, 08:37 AM
I stopped by my local Home Depot (and just out of curiosity, this time I could NOT find Plexus) to check on the light blue painters tape prices:

Home Depot - 2" x 60 yrds (or 180'): $8 comes in light blue

OG Racing - 2" x 180' : $7 comes in lots of colors

:)