PDA

View Full Version : E46 Touring to be axed?

nate
08-30-2002, 07:26 PM
According to Motor Trend (:rolleyes: ), BMW will cut the 3er wagon from the North American lineup when in launches the X3.

:cry:

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Screw that! :thumbdwn: I almost hope the X3 falls on its face harder than the Cayenne.

johnlew
08-30-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Chris330ci
Screw that! :thumbdwn: I almost hope the X3 falls on its face harder than the Cayenne.

But some T buyers may be forced into the 5 :thumbup:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/members/johnlew/540/webdrside540.jpg

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-30-2002, 07:31 PM
*sigh*

DougDogs
08-30-2002, 07:32 PM
I read a "blurb" about that in Autoweek a few months ago..

DougDogs
08-30-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by johnlew

But some T buyers may be forced into the 5 :thumbup:

If I needed a wagon, you wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to get the 5:thumbup:

Chris330Ci
08-30-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by DougDogs

If I needed a wagon, you wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to get the 5:thumbup:

Me too. I would be all over the 540iT 6sp. :thumbup:

TD
08-30-2002, 07:48 PM
It's sad but Audi looks better and better every day.

Damn, BMW is making some stupid decisions. The SUV backlash is very much in process and they are dumping wagons for MORE SUVs.

Stupid...

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-30-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by TD

Damn, BMW is making some stupid decisions. The SUV backlash is very much in process and they are dumping wagons for MORE SUVs.

Stupid...

Sadly, so far as I can tell, the DC area seems to be the only place that E46 tourings actually sell... As I recall, the sales numbers were pathetic for the tourings overall.

I will definitely be looking at the S4 Avant next time around.

nate
08-30-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by TD

Stupid...

Is there going to be a Audi version of the Tourag/Cayanne?

The fact that VW AG is building a PORSCHE SUV is far more offensive than the X5/X3 :mad:

nate
08-30-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

Sadly, so far as I can tell, the DC area seems to be the only place that E46 tourings actually sell... As I recall, the sales numbers were pathetic for the tourings overall.

I will definitely be looking at the S4 Avant next time around.

article says that YTD sales as of July of E46 tourings is ~1500 out of 58,000+ 3ers....

Maybe drop the xiTs and only sell RWD wagons :dunno:

Dr. Phil
08-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
According to Motor Trend (:rolleyes: ), BMW will cut the 3er wagon from the North American lineup when in launches the X3.

:cry:
:confused:

Well at least I'd have a unique vehicle:p

AF
08-30-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by TD

Stupid...

I agree that I'm not into seeing yet another new suv on the road but as far as a business decision, it might not be a bad move . . .

For some reason, EVERYONE wants an SUV and I mean everyone. One of my tenants, A family dentist, just got a Suzuki Grand Vitera . . . why this guy got an SUV is beyond me ? ? His wife has a minivan already and he had a Subaru AWD sedan prior to it . . .

For some strange reason, people are really attracted to them

Don't get me wrong, I like them also, but one per family is more then enough . . .

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-30-2002, 09:10 PM
I think SUVs should be required to have their center of gravity at LEAST 6 feet off of the ground. I bet that would reduce sales. :D

blackdawg
08-31-2002, 06:05 AM
if bmw chooses to deprive us of 3 series wagons, then audi it will be.

simple decision really.

even mercedes benz is going to offer 4matic on its C class wagons and obviously ont hte new E class wagons.

lots of choices out there.

JPinTO
08-31-2002, 08:45 AM
I don't know what delusion one is operating under that sees SUV's being replaced by wagons.

I've seen perhaps 1 E46 wagon in the last year in my travels.... they are extremely RARE here. A4 avants are also extremely rare (unpopular) in both the current A4 and the previous one.

Jetta wagons are starting to show up and will likely be fairly popular.

On the other hand X5's are ubiquitous.

The reality is that the X3 will do extremely well as will the Touareg and Cayenne. THere will be an Audi version of the Cayenne/Touraeg at some point.

Look at the X5 sales vs. 540iT sales. BMW can do the numbers. When the X3 comes out... there will be no (business) point of producting a 3iT.

nate
08-31-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by JPinTO
Look at the X5 sales vs. 540iT sales. BMW can do the numbers. When the X3 comes out... there will be no (business) point of producting a 3iT.

Sadly, you're right :cry:

IndyMike
08-31-2002, 04:40 PM
And that's why I'm jumping on an '03 Touring right now.

I like the fact that they (Tourings) are rare. It makes them exclusive, like the Tanin red in my cab.

The fact is I would have purchased one in '01, but I was going to patiently wait until either the M3T or 330iT was released. Doesn't look like either will be coming here in the near future, so we're springloaded to snap one up this fall.

The fact is AG and NA screwed up royally in not releasing the 330iT to the NA market. Whatever sales that the 330 would have taken away from the 5er's would have been more than made up for in volume, especially if the M packet front spoiler had been the standard spoiler with the sports package.

Now all we'll get is a stupid X3 SAV, that will be about as exclusive as a Lexus RX300, Honda CRV or Ford Escape.

Sure, sales will probably skyrocket, but you can't help but moan and lament about what might have been had the wagon been marketed correctly.

So if anyone else is contemplating getting one I would recommend you not stall too long. If this SUV trend continues they may never pass this way again. :cry: :( :bawling:

Once the 3er Tourings are axed how far behind do you think the 5er Touring will be.

johnlew
08-31-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by IndyMike

Once the 3er Tourings are axed how far behind do you think the 5er Touring will be.

Not sure, but from a functionality point of view the 5 does have more space. Maybe that will keep it around to compete with the E wagon. The 3 wagon is nice though, but my wife nixed it as not having enough room for two kids and a dog.

Jeff_DML
09-03-2002, 10:15 AM
In San Diego, you cannot find a Touring on the lot at any of the BMW dealers, at least when we where looking. BMW doesnt ship a lot of them but everyone they ship seems to sell. We had to order our because of it. Seems like if they shipped more they would sell more.:dunno:

seems like BMWNA didnt have too much faith in the touring from the beginning. Not much advertisements or publicity.

Jeff

Kaz
09-03-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Jeff_DML
In San Diego, you cannot find a Touring on the lot at any of the BMW dealers, at least when we where looking. BMW doesnt ship a lot of them but everyone they ship seems to sell. We had to order our because of it. Seems like if they shipped more they would sell more.:dunno:

seems like BMWNA didnt have too much faith in the touring from the beginning. Not much advertisements or publicity.

Jeff

There are plenty of Tourings at both local dealers... but they're mostly preowned. My guess is the owners decided they wanted X5s. :banghead:

And I've noticed lately in the paper that iTs are featured lease deals in many dealers' ads.

But I agree that BMWNA has done a poor job at marketing it. There are plenty of E39 Tourings on the lots and the roads, and as a consequence I always get asked if my car is a 5er.