PDA

View Full Version : Saw a G35 coupe on the road

Kaz
08-30-2002, 10:07 PM
I was pulling out from my friend's condo complex, and saw what I thought was w SC430 in an Estoril-like color. As it came closer, I noticed it was a G35... then it went by and saw that it was the COUPE.

IMO the pics don't do it justice. It looks much nicer in person. The roofline doesn't look as lumpy, and the rear bumper doesn't look that huge. Taillights are much nicer, and have the trademark Skyline 'rings.' This is the way the sedan should have been done.

What we really noticed was the sound of the exhaust. Holy crap. It was the absolute best sounding factory exhaust I've ever heard on any Japanese car. Why can't E46 exhausts sound this sweet??? :cry:

The G35 sedan makes for a pretty poor Skyline, and not a car I'd consider. But if I were in the market for a coupe, it would be a really tough choice between a E46 and the G35.

ashecnc
08-31-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
I was pulling out from my friend's condo complex, and saw what I thought was w SC430 in an Estoril-like color. As it came closer, I noticed it was a G35... then it went by and saw that it was the COUPE.

IMO the pics don't do it justice. It looks much nicer in person. The roofline doesn't look as lumpy, and the rear bumper doesn't look that huge. Taillights are much nicer, and have the trademark Skyline 'rings.' This is the way the sedan should have been done.

What we really noticed was the sound of the exhaust. Holy crap. It was the absolute best sounding factory exhaust I've ever heard on any Japanese car. Why can't E46 exhausts sound this sweet??? :cry:

The G35 sedan makes for a pretty poor Skyline, and not a car I'd consider. But if I were in the market for a coupe, it would be a really tough choice between a E46 and the G35.

when I go to infiniti.com..why can't I see the coupe?????????????????????????????

Mathew
08-31-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by CCs328Ci

when I go to infiniti.com..why can't I see the coupe?????????????????????????????

I dont think the coupes are "officially" out yet. I remeber Alan F talking about how he saw a few on the road a while back, and it was Infiniti (i guess) doing some testing/researching. Must have been at least a month ago, but maybe someone can correct me and tell me theyre on the market :dunno:

ashecnc
08-31-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by ///Mathew

I dont think the coupes are "officially" out yet. I remeber Alan F talking about how he saw a few on the road a while back, and it was Infiniti (i guess) doing some testing/researching. Must have been at least a month ago, but maybe someone can correct me and tell me theyre on the market :dunno:

yea..I was thinking if some have seen them on the road, then they are for sale?!? Why would it not be on the site..hmmm

Cliff
08-31-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by CCs328Ci

It's under future vehicles on the infiniti.com site. FWIW, according to the specs there, not much of a backseat or trunk when compared with the 3er coupe.

{edit}
There's a thread on the e46fans site with some very clear pictures of the G35 coupe. I happen to like the styling, but I prefer the 3er coupe styling.

The BMW coupe has some practical attributes that the G35 lacks -- useful backseat space, nice integration with roof rack systems (I'm a cyclist), cachet...

Kaz
08-31-2002, 10:02 PM
I believe the coupe is a November debut. Here in LA seeing preproduction cars isn't unusual. My friends and I see foreign-market and preproduction cars pretty regularly, as many automakers have either HQ or some major facility out here (I live a few miles from Ford PAG HQ).

I agree Infiniti has a way to go in terms of cachet (important here in LaLaLand) but the G35 lineup will go a long way.

Some details aside (cheap interior materials; but MB has this problem too), Carlos Ghosn is turning out for Nissan what Bob Lutz was for Chrysler (and hopefully for GM).

ashecnc
09-01-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Kaz
I believe the coupe is a November debut. Here in LA seeing preproduction cars isn't unusual. My friends and I see foreign-market and preproduction cars pretty regularly, as many automakers have either HQ or some major facility out here (I live a few miles from Ford PAG HQ).

I agree Infiniti has a way to go in terms of cachet (important here in LaLaLand) but the G35 lineup will go a long way.

Some details aside (cheap interior materials; but MB has this problem too), Carlos Ghosn is turning out for Nissan what Bob Lutz was for Chrysler (and hopefully for GM).

BMW has cheap interior also..I am curious to see if its better quaility than E46's, I know cars 1/3 the price that are better interior quality... life goes on

alee
09-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Here are a few pics of the G35 coupe I saw at the 2002 NY Auto Show...

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/nyauto2k2/800x600/DSCN4709.JPG

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/nyauto2k2/800x600/DSCN4710.JPG

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/nyauto2k2/800x600/DSCN4711.JPG