PDA

View Full Version : Detailing costs

JD
01-12-2002, 11:48 AM
Wow....I just got a quote from a reputable detailing shop (they prep cars for Concours events so I know they are pretty good) in the DC metro area. In order to make my paint "look like new" (prep, remove swirls, seal with polymer, wheels, black trim ect.) was $250-$300 :eek: I was entertaining the idea because I didn't feel like giving my car "the treatment" in the cold weather (especially after it took my hands like 2 hours to thaw out after my last wash, lol).

I am quite capable, but I don't have a random orbital to aid in polishing the car so I decided to check out the pros. But $300....I guess I'll just wait until it gets warmer and do it myself :( That is, unless someone local wants to get paid to help me detail the M3?

alee
01-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by JD
In order to make my paint "look like new" (prep, remove swirls, seal with polymer, wheels, black trim ect.) was $250-$300 :eek:

Sounds a little high. I'd expect to pay $100-150 or so for a full exterior detail, and another $50-$100 for the interior.

For the price you'd pay for that pro, you could easily get yourself your own random orbital. Try shopping some other folks.

-Al

BayDetailz
01-12-2002, 10:52 PM
Well in San Francisco, California.....everything is expensive. Right now just for the same job, I charge 200.00. But there is another shop in fremont called DetailWurkz which charges 600.00 for the same process (exterior only). So, paying 200 or 300 is reasonable because the amount of time they spend on the exterior. Well good luck doing it yourself. Post pics when your done waxing it.

The HACK
01-13-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BayDetailz
Well in San Francisco, California.....everything is expensive. Right now just for the same job, I charge 200.00. But there is another shop in fremont called DetailWurkz which charges 600.00 for the same process (exterior only). So, paying 200 or 300 is reasonable because the amount of time they spend on the exterior. Well good luck doing it yourself. Post pics when your done waxing it.

Yeah, if you really think about it, if you do it yourself it's going to take between 5-8 hours to do a good job. At the rates that I charge for the work that I do that's pretty damn near $1,000. Now, on days or weeks that I'm busy this may be tempting because taking 8 hours out of my work schedule will cost way more than a good $300 detail job...But for now since I'm not doing much work it makes sense to detail it myself.

If you're earning a regular paycheck...That's a different matter.

ALEX325i
01-13-2002, 02:07 PM
Well, at least now that I live in sunny FL ;) I confess I used to pay for it back in NY during winter time...