08-31-2002, 12:13 PM
haha. as usual, 3er came out on top

bmw 330i
audi a4 3.0 cvt
acura tl-s
g35
mbz c320
vw passat w8

i was surprised the tl came in over the g35. bmw had a 4 point edge over the audi. and had top scores in every category except features and amenties...

edit: auto tranny comparo btw

rbright
08-31-2002, 12:32 PM
What issue is that review in? I haven't seen one since the one several months ago, with the G35 on top. They reviewed them again already? That is odd.

Tell us what issue, month, etc, please.

eugeneDC/TX
08-31-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by rbright
What issue is that review in? I haven't seen one since the one several months ago, with the G35 on top. They reviewed them again already? That is odd.

Tell us what issue, month, etc, please.

c&d oct 2002 issue. haha, even they joke about doing a sport sedan comparo every 2 days. one of the bad points for bmw was "perennial overdog" (=

rbright
08-31-2002, 07:09 PM
Darn,

I just left the bookstore and forgot to pick one up. I wish I could access the online version, if there is one.

What is meant by the "perennial overdog"? What are the other bad points for BMW? What are the strengths and why is it now above the G35 when they put it below the G35 a few months ago? Did the G35 price go up? That was the only thing that placed it the first time around.

Anyway you can post the review or any part of it?

Thanks

Dan
08-31-2002, 08:55 PM
why is it now above the G35 when they put it below the G35 a few months ago? Did the G35 price go up? That was the only thing that placed it the first time around.

Road & Track put the G35 ahead of the 330i (only due to the Infiniti's price advantage - the 330i won the comparison when price was not factored in). This new review is from Car & Driver.

rbright
08-31-2002, 10:21 PM
Yeah,

I just pulled my old copy of Road and Track and there it was. Now, it is C&D. However, where does one get the October issue? I checked my bookstore tonight and they said that the September is all they get for another 2 weeks, and online at C&D, they only have and mention the September issue still.

Anyone know where to get an October C&D in August? If someone has it, can you please give us more details about what was said about the BMW and the G35? Was it the 330 again or the 325? I assume it was the 2002 tested again?

eugeneDC/TX
08-31-2002, 10:40 PM
Yeah,

I just pulled my old copy of Road and Track and there it was. Now, it is C&D. However, where does one get the October issue? I checked my bookstore tonight and they said that the September is all they get for another 2 weeks, and online at C&D, they only have and mention the September issue still.

Anyone know where to get an October C&D in August? If someone has it, can you please give us more details about what was said about the BMW and the G35? Was it the 330 again or the 325? I assume it was the 2002 tested again?

yo, i'm too tired to summarize. if you subscribe you get the mag before stores (i got a free sub as a gift). it was the 330 in an auto tranny sedan comparo. if i had a scanner it'd be up. sorry.

edit: g35, "highs: horses aplenty, royal back seat, friendly price, intelligent face. lows: slightly harsh ride, frustrating switchgear, grabby brakes. verdict: as fast as we like but not as smooth as we like"

they also said there was a lot of oversteer (testors left the traction control on after being scared otherwise), bad ergonomics, manumatic with over long throws

330i: "highs: world's best throttle tip-in, communicative steering, ready for the racetrack. lows: cramped back seat, fussy climate control, perennial overdog. verdict: no matter what you ask, the bmw 330i listens."

bmw got five 10s (engine, tranny, brakes, handling, fun). spoke of minimal body roll. as for bad, other than what's listed in lows, they said "its manumatic sometimes changes gears on its own if it suspects your not paying attention"

ha. they compared it to lance armstrong. (=

JPinTO
09-01-2002, 06:21 AM
"Perennial overdog"--- Is there an english translation for that?

JT - '02 330i
09-01-2002, 08:10 AM
from www.dictionary.com

per·en·ni·al Pronunciation Key (p-rn-l)
adj.
Lasting or active through the year or through many years.

Lasting an indefinitely long time; enduring: perennial happiness.
Appearing again and again; recurrent. See Synonyms at continual.

o·ver·dog Pronunciation Key (vr-dōg, -dg)
n. Informal
One that has a significant advantage: “a champion of the overdog who provides tax breaks for the rich while cutting social services for the poor” (Leon Daniel)

PhilH
09-01-2002, 12:55 PM
Anyone else notice that the new 240hp Accord has faster acceleration times that any of the cars in the sport sedan comparo? :yikes:

Accord V6 7.0 15.5 @92

TL 7.6 16.0 @88
A4 3.0 CVT 7.2 15.7 @90
330i 7.3 15.6 @92
G35 7.1 15.6 @92
C320 7.6 15.9 @89
Passat W8 7.7 15.9 @91

Oh, yeah, don't get the impression that the new Accord is a sport sedan...

Highs: Acceleration, plus every virtue to which Consumer Reports can award a red dot.

Lows: Braking performance, driver adrenaline and endorphin levels.

The Verdict: A sure thing to win over millions of minds, if few hearts.

blackdawg
09-01-2002, 04:50 PM
....in their writeup about the upcoming 6 series, they did seem to mention somewhere the 3.0 litre engine producing 260hp in the near future.

sounds like we can all wait until then, but as per usual, bmw hp is stronger than most and i don't doubt the new 330 for 2004/5 will be a sub 6 second screamer for sure.

not like the car now is slow or anything. good grief.

ObD
09-02-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
spoke of minimal body roll

Doh! :thumbup: