PDA

View Full Version : All-season Tires

akog
10-10-2005, 10:56 AM
I've had my M3 in Florida but now have it in Chicago for good. How well do all-season High-Performance tires work on this car in the snow? Any experience? Tire Rack doesn't recognize the possibility. Do I need to buy new rims and snows?

wag-zhp
10-10-2005, 11:25 AM
All season tires are a compromize between hi performance summer and dedicated winter tires. The M3 is the highest performance 3 series BMW makes. Putting all season tires on an M3 would be like nuetering it.

Desertnate
10-10-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't think I would trust all-seasons during the Chicago winters. You get too much snow for that. The snows will ensure you will stay on the road.

Also, I don't think you would be happy with the way your car will drive the other three seasons on all-season tires. I went down the all-season road because I live in an area that sees two or three snows a year, each around 2~3". Big mistake...my car rides/drives like garbage on the tires.

Pinecone
10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Best dal, perforamnce tires for most of the year, dedicated real snow tires in the winter. You and your car will be happier.

jayf
10-10-2005, 02:00 PM
I have actual experience with these tires on the M3. I live in NJ. First off - positively do not drive in the snow in summer tires. You will kill yourself. The car will just spin up the slightest incline. Trust me. I have since used all season Michelin Pilots in the rear (255-40-18) and now have the Pirelli PZero M+S (275-35-18). They are both wonderful - NO drop in performance, handling, braking, or grip. At $275 or so a piece, they are as good as the summers. (Maybe you'd notice a difference on the track, but I push them hard and they are great tires. They handle great in the summer and they track fine in the winter. Obviously I do not push the car's handling limits in the snow. Tire Rack rates these tires very well: Only slight drop in handling, no drop in braking or accelerating - virtually as good as the snows in snow and ice. These are a wonderful compromise, not like these other guys who feel that it is like pouring regular gas in the car or anything close to it.

For the fronts, I am still using the summer tires all season. Nobody makes an all season front (225-45-80) to my knowledge yet. When they come out let me know. Now that I have the 275s in the rear, I may go with the 255-40s in the front (which they make in all season) but I have not done so yet.

wag-zhp
10-10-2005, 02:11 PM
jayf, be carefull, very carefull, if you are using summer tires on the front axle in the winter. Summer tires get as hard as rocks when the temperature drops below 40 degrees, and even more so below 30. The all seasons on the rear will get you moving, but the summers on the front will be like dull ice skates, reducing stoping and steering effectiveness.

akog
10-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the opinions. I'm torn as to what to do. I just want to enjoy the car and not worry about changing wheels twice a year. I had an Audi A4 with the sport pack that came with 3 seasons but when two were damaged, I put ultra high performance all- seasons on it and I thought the car drove great. Obviously, not the power and very different handling characteristics than the M3.

I do agree that having two different type of tires on the car is taking a big risk.

Desertnate
10-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the opinions. I'm torn as to what to do. I just want to enjoy the car and not worry about changing wheels twice a year. I had an Audi A4 with the sport pack that came with 3 seasons but when two were damaged, I put ultra high performance all- seasons on it and I thought the car drove great. Obviously, not the power and very different handling characteristics than the M3.

I do agree that having two different type of tires on the car is taking a big risk.

With the snow Chicago gets, I don't think even all seasons would be a really good choice. If you were living somewhere (like I do) that only recieves an inch or two once in a while, you could probably get away with it. However, Chicago gets much more snow and I don't know how well all seasons will do getting you home and back...

Additionally, you have one of the finest handling cars on the road. During the winters, you probably don't want to test those limits on snow covered/slick roads, but don't handicap your car the other three seasons with underperforming tires.

vicj
10-13-2005, 03:20 PM
I have been driving my M3 in Maryland for a couple years now, and use Pirelli P-Zero Nero Ultra high performence all season tires. I changed because I HATED the noise and other comprimises of snow tires, when I only needed them two or three days per year. I bought the Pirelli's after using them on my 330 for years, and after a lot of testing by tire rack. I think they are great. No, they're not quite as good as Michelin Sports, but just reading the Tire Rack tests, you can see that they aren't so far away that they'll "nueter" your car, as someone implied earlier. All Season tires have come a long way, and as long as your not looking for the very edge of performence, or tracking your car, I think you'll find they do great. They're quiet, last a little longer than most, and have ALMOST as much grip as the factory rubber.

Pinecone
10-13-2005, 05:26 PM
I find that the feel is pretty dead compared to summer tires, especially the turn in.

Why not run All Seasons in the winter and Summer tires the rest of the year? Best of all worlds.

vicj
10-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Because I don't need to. My commute is mostly highway, in traffic, at rush hour. The most "performence" I need is having a little fun on the exits. I also don't have a convenient place to store extra tires, as my one car garage is really about a 3/4 car garage, and storing my hardtop takes all the extra space! I also hate going through the hassle of changing tires, depending on the weather. Last, I don't feel a LOT of difference between my Pirelli P-zero's and the stock Michelin's. In tests conducted by both Tire Rack, and Car and Driver magazine, the Pirelli P-Zero Nero's outperformed the Michelin Pilot Sport's in all facets, at about 1/2 the price. The mud and snow version of the Pirelli is exactly the same design and tread pattern, just made from a slightly different compound to hold it's shape better in freezing temperatures. For me, and my driving style, they're great. True performence tires that can handle a little inclement weather, as well.
They're not snow tires, granted, but for the one-day kind of snow/ice spitting that Maryland gets, they get you through. Are pure performence tires better for tracking and "on the edge" everyday driving? Sure. I'm not disputing that. However, for those of us who use our M3's as daily commuters, the high end performence all-season tires can be a Godsend, with very little drawback or drop in performence. Another benefit: The all season compounds are a little harder, so the tires last just a little longer as well.

jayf
10-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey vicj - I agree with you about the all season Pirellis, what model and size fronts are you using? I can't find 'em anywhere.

vicj
10-14-2005, 09:32 PM
front: 245/40-18
Rear: 275/35-18
This a straight "plus-0" from tire rack. No fitment problems. Slightly wider than stock.

Moderato
10-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Not putting summer tires on an M3 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. :confused: During the winter get another car for winter driving or put some high performance snows on the M3. That's the way to go.

vicj
10-14-2005, 09:51 PM
just take a look at the test data. It doesn't lie. Remember, we're not talking about track laps or anything...we're talking everyday commute. It sure beats riding around four months of the year on snow tires, wondering if you'll be able to put your teeth back in.

Pinecone
10-15-2005, 05:32 AM
Well in that case, maybe you should have saved money and trouble and not gotten an M3 :rofl:

bren
10-15-2005, 06:52 AM
..... wondering if you'll be able to put your teeth back in.
:confused:

WILLIA///M
10-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Not putting summer tires on an M3 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. :confused: During the winter get another car for winter driving or put some high performance snows on the M3. That's the way to go.
:stupid:

akog
10-16-2005, 03:31 PM
After evaluating all of the input from you M3 affectionados, I went ahead and ordered wheels and winter tires from Tire Rack. We do have enough snow to make 340 HP on 255cm tires a scary activity and I make frequent trips to Wisconsin in the winter. Piece of mind.

Moderato
10-16-2005, 06:16 PM
After evaluating all of the input from you M3 affectionados, I went ahead and ordered wheels and winter tires from Tire Rack. We do have enough snow to make 340 HP on 255cm tires a scary activity and I make frequent trips to Wisconsin in the winter. Piece of mind.
You'll be very pleased with the snow tires on the M3. However you will cringe every time a rock hits the car. ;)

Pinecone
10-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Mud flaps? :)

Seriously, for the winter might not be a bad idea. Just take them off for summer. :)

zanolla
10-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Buy a beater SUV for $1000 and keep the M3 in the Garage when its crappy