PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline Odor in Used Oil

JJKK
08-31-2002, 07:49 PM
After my first oil change at 4000 miles, I noticed that it seemed like there was a pretty strong "gaslike" odor to the oil that I extracted. Has anyone else noticed this. I may just be extra sensitive, as I am about almost everything else with a new car. Thanks for any info.

rwebbe
08-31-2002, 08:11 PM
The odor of the used oil was so objectionalble, I covered the drain vessel and sealed all rags and anything else that came in contact with the used oil so my gararge would not absorb the odor or become contanimated. Next day I poured same back in original oil containers ready to recycle at Discount Auto These engines are self cleaning and the oil may help in the process. My guess and two cents.

JJKK
09-05-2002, 09:42 AM
Thanks

Dr. Phil
09-05-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by JJKK
After my first oil change at 4000 miles, I noticed that it seemed like there was a pretty strong "gaslike" odor to the oil that I extracted. Has anyone else noticed this. I may just be extra sensitive, as I am about almost everything else with a new car. Thanks for any info.
The same thing was present with my first change. My friend who did the change told me it was a characteristic of the breaking in of the engine:dunno: Also that it validated the earlier than recommended interval for oil changing.

chukiechz
09-05-2002, 05:48 PM
oil is used to lube the combustion chamber, so as the combustion process occurs, it picks up the residue. Im sure othercs can explain it better, but thats my simpleton answer :)