PDA

View Full Version : Is G35 joining the same group as....

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-01-2002, 08:59 AM
IS300? And that people start to look at G35s as "drive-like-a-BMW-but-cheaper" cars? I admit. The magazines are partially to be blamed for ranking them. But still...

I was challenged by IS300s on both traffic lights and on highways, despite that I drive like a grandma. And just yesterday, a G35 tried to race me at the lights. :tsk: Ok...where is this going really, G35ers? If winning a BMW at the lights make you feel good, then I will drive really slow. Heck I will even pretend I don't know how to engage an automatic tranny! Look out for the blue E46 BMW in LA. $10 per traffic light drag. Pay upfront. Cash only. Guarantee to let you win. No appts needed. You see me, wave to me, pay $10 and we are set. :tsk:

Personally I don't care if G35 or IS300 has more torque or HP than my 325i, or that they cost less. If the you are trying to compete in the sport sedan arena, set your own goals and image. I can imagine that Infiniti sales reps are comparing every inch of G35 to BMW already. Am I being too harsh here?:dunno:

Just the other day, Lexus has a paper ad that implies the IS300 is not trying to be a sport sedan, but it is itself a sport sedan. And has raced at touring car championships, winning over BMWs, Porsches etc. So that somehow this justifies buying an IS300. Somehow...

Wait...why not let IS300 and G35 fight among themselves instead...

ChrisTO
09-01-2002, 12:05 PM
i'm with you on this. both the G35 and IS300 are almost marketed towards beating BMW 3series. but you know what they say...imitation is the best form of flattery.

as competition goes both Lexus and Infiniti have always been after BMW and MB as a premier/luxury automotive brand. seeing that BMW has a run away success with the 3series, why not go after some of that market space.

what i fear the most is due to price pressures from Lexus/Infiniti, BMW and MB will stop 'over engineering' the cars just to keep the price of the cars 'affordable'. this is almost akin to commoditizing the auto industry where price is the only thing that matters regardless of technology. this is no different from the electronics marketplace. IMO gone are the days of MB and BMWs lasting 15-20 years squeak/rattle free.

as for redlight racing, how cheese. take it on a track.

AF
09-01-2002, 12:53 PM
I remember when You (Vince) posed this same subject about the IS300 about 6-8 months ago . . . One thing I have learned is these boards make us BMW bias . . . when I get away from these boards, I notice I tend to like other cars more . . .

Coming to a BMW board on a regular basis gets you really pumped up into how great our BMW's are but the IS300 and especially the G35 have their merits as well.

When I see either car I can't help but look at the driver and think that he made a smart move and no doubt he got more car for the money. If I had never owned a BMW I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything but now that I do, I have grown to love the solidness of a german car.

Just keep in mind, the Japanese know their sh*t and they did an excellent job on their first round vs the 3er . . . I can't wait to see the 2nd round

gr8330
09-01-2002, 01:21 PM
I've driven the Is300 and the G35 and they are fine cars but when I get back into my BMW and drive off, I realize that the others just are not as complete as the BMW... its like it has soul.

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-01-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by ChrisTO
as for redlight racing, how cheese. take it on a track.

That's what I have been doing...taking it to the tracks.

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-01-2002, 01:49 PM
I remember that Alan.

Nothing against IS300 or G35. They set their goal to be a ultimate sport sedan, so be it. :) But when the pple who buy them, thinks they are up to compete with a BMW at lights, then there is a serious problem with marketing.

Yes, I am looking around the a second round. Ding ding ding! :D

Originally posted by Alan F
I remember when You (Vince) posed this same subject about the IS300 about 6-8 months ago . . . One thing I have learned is these boards make us BMW bias . . . when I get away from these boards, I notice I tend to like other cars more . . .

Coming to a BMW board on a regular basis gets you really pumped up into how great our BMW's are but the IS300 and especially the G35 have their merits as well.

When I see either car I can't help but look at the driver and think that he made a smart move and no doubt he got more car for the money. If I had never owned a BMW I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything but now that I do, I have grown to love the solidness of a german car.

Just keep in mind, the Japanese know their sh*t and they did an excellent job on their first round vs the 3er . . . I can't wait to see the 2nd round

hts
09-01-2002, 02:08 PM
Vince, rather than knock these Japanese wanna-be's, why not develop an after-market set of retrofit paddle-shifters?

:flipoff:

There's an entire market segment that you're ignoring just because you're a bmw snob.

:D

ChrisTO
09-01-2002, 06:31 PM
ya...too bad those idiots that want to race u at the lights don't.

Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3

That's what I have been doing...taking it to the tracks.

ObD
09-02-2002, 05:27 PM
There's no Roundel on an IS300 nor G35. Nuff said. I'd have a little more respect for them if they tried to be original and seek their own niche. Reminds me of NYC street vendors hocking fake Rolex's as such. No matter how you cut it, it's not a Rolex.

Jimmy540i.com
09-02-2002, 05:43 PM
I don't know much about G35 & IS300, but one thing is for sure:

Saw a couple moded IS300 best 16.00 seconds @ 1/4Mile race at California Speed Way.

IS300 is totally "UNEXPECTED SLOW"! I mean 16.00, even a Honda Civic Si is faster than that.

:thumbdwn:

My 0.002